PDA

View Full Version : broken leg

cylinder symphony
01-04-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm looking at purchasing classic 22 equipped with a 450 horse BBC. The original alpha 1 is broken.
What is the best fix? Repair the alpha leg, move to a bravo 1, or bravo 3 instead? If changing to a bravo leg is preferable, does a bravo just bolt up to the original alpha flange opening?
Has anyone had a similar experience? Please help.
PS it's my first hot rod boat venture, be kind.
Previous speed toys... 11 sec vega, 9 sec gs1150.
Best Regards

MOP
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
IMO With 450hp go to a bravo, you would have to be pretty easy on an Alpha on a 22.

To convert you will need a transom shield, drill 2 more holes pretty easy but it will cost you a bit, look for deals they are around.

phil

BUIZILLA
01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
9 sec gs1150. hold the fort... first, we need to know more about this..

silverghost
01-04-2010, 11:18 PM
I agree ~
An Alpha will not live very long with that much horsepower in a 22 ' performance boat!
A Bravo or Volvo would be a better choice.
Big Block boats were Alpha drive killers in their day. That is why Merc. devloped the now outdated TRS drive.
I still like the TRS in older boats if you can handle the extra length & weight of the added BW trans.

Walt. H.
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Big H/P in a heavy boat will turn a Alpha-l into Alpha-bits, find one with a Bravo-l unless the price is attractive.
Best of luck with your purchase!

That 9 sec GS1150 must be a worked Suzuki m/c to run below mid-high 11's?

joseph m. hahnl
01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
IMO With 450hp go to a bravo, you would have to be pretty easy on an Alpha on a 22.

To convert you will need a transom shield, drill 2 more holes pretty easy but it will cost you a bit, look for deals they are around.

phil

:wink:

http://www.sterndrives.com/gimbalhousings.html

Last Tango
01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
A Bravo I only rated up to 400HP. Bravo 1 XR may be required for 450HP. That is what currently comes standard with the 496 MAG HO 425HP.
Alpha with die quickly behind that boat and motor combo.

The Bravo III is not a performance outdrive per se, which is why you don't see it on race boats. It is designed for high torque applications like cruisers and tow sports. The Bravo II is for low RPM work boats and diesel applications.

The Bravo I comes in many flavors and gear reduction choices and is the most common for high performance boats.

LKSD
01-07-2010, 09:22 AM
An alpha is not a good idea to use. It would be the cheapest way out to just get it to run & work if it is already what is there. However it will likely be much more costly over time due to repairs & stress that it will go thru.

A bravo drive set up would be best, but will cost you more than repairing what you have with a replacement alpha drive only.. However in the long run the bravo over time will likely be less expensive because you likelihood of failure will be less..

A bravo cut out is the same as the alpha, however there are 2 extra studs on the top of the transom assembly. The bravo will not bolt into or work in an alpha transom assembly's bell housing. You will need the bravo transom assembly. You will also need a bravo seawater pump & a shift bracket.. ;)

I can hook you up with any of the stuff if you need it. Hope this helps you .. :) Jamie / Lakeside Restorations

Cuda
01-07-2010, 09:28 AM
I agree ~
An Alpha will not live very long with that much horsepower in a 22 ' performance boat!
A Bravo or Volvo would be a better choice.
Big Block boats were Alpha drive killers in their day. That is why Merc. devloped the now outdated TRS drive.
I still like the TRS in older boats if you can handle the extra length & weight of the added BW trans.
The TRS's installed in Donzi's were the Merc tranny. The BW trannie reqired 7 more inches. The transmission itself didn't weigh more than 40 pounds.