PDA

View Full Version : Restored 1966 Formula Jr. Thunderbird Barrell Back

Tbdeaux
12-27-2009, 10:42 PM
FOR SALE

RARE 1966 FORMULA JR. THUNDERBIRD

I have for sale a beautiful and rare 1966 Formula Jr. Thunderbird with barrel back design, Manufacturer’s I.D NO. F175665. I recently acquired the boat from the original owner. The boat was completely restored around 10 years ago and has been kept in storage ever since. In February 2009 a V-6 4.3 liter Chevy with a OMC Cobra outdrive was installed. The installation was professionally done and turned out very nice. This rare eye-catching metallic blue with silver stripe boat will run approximately 55 mph. After the engine installation and test run, the boat hasn’t been in the water since. You won’t find a nicer 1966 Formula than this. Also included is a custom made heavy duty boat travel cover. Unfortunately due to health reasons I must sell the boat.
53141 53142 53143 53144 53145
Click Here To See More Pics (http://headnheels.com/Formula%20Jr.htm)

The boat also comes with Little Dude trailer that is in excellent condition and is painted to match the boat. It is silver with matching blue pin striping. It has new wheels and tires and is equipped with buddy bearings.
I am asking $12,500 which is a bargain for this boat and will be listing it on Ebay in the next few days.

silverghost
12-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Nice little boat~
Cousin of the Donzi 16 SkiSporter
Not an exact period-correct restoration in many many ways.
But still very nice.
If you could find one you could not restore it like this for this asking price.
I think I had seen this exact boat for sale before several years ago~ possibly from the same person listing it here ?
I think Lenny has/had one of these.
Approx 150 built ?

Tbdeaux
12-27-2009, 11:31 PM
You are correct it probably is the same boat. At that time I listed it for the original owner. Since then the Chevy V-6 and Cobra outdrive was installed and I recently acquired the boat. I Hate to sell it but due to my illness I cannot use it.

silverghost
12-28-2009, 01:23 AM
There is a wooden home-built kit version of this boat sitting next to a small horse barn rotting away on Asbury Rd in Egg Harbor Twp NJ (near Somers Point NJ).
I do not know the owner's name.
Dad says the owner's father built it from mail-order boat plans in the early 60s. This boat has some sort of very early strange outdrive & engine combo still with the hull.
It would now only be a pattern boat at best.

ghiafreak62
12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
I think I saw this boat in Kimberling City Mo at tablerock lake, can't recall the name of the marina but a guy named bill and his son Tyson own the marina they where redoing the boat, correct me if i'm wrong

Tbdeaux
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
You probably did see it on Table Rock Lake. Mr. John McLaughlin who lives on Table Rock Lake owned the boat and had it restored. He spared no expense on the restoration. He is a really good friend of ours. I acquired the boat a couple of weeks ago and am selling it to help out with some of my medical expenses. I had a spinal cord injury a while back that left quadriplegic. Those who know Mr. McLaughlin knows he is a perfectionist and it shows in this boat.

silverghost
12-28-2009, 10:40 PM
For those readers here who do not know about the Formula Jr.
It's a wonderful riding little boat.
Dare I say say this on a Donzi forum ~
BUT many, including our old friend Lenny who has one along with a friend of his , think it handles much better than the Donzi 16.
This boat was a production follow-on to the famous Wynn-Mill II wooden race boat. Jim Wynn deigned this along wth the Donzi 16 Ski-Sporter
It is thought that only 150 or so were built.
The few existing I have seen are usually in very rough shape.
This boat looks very nice indeed.
I think it is a great deal here for a very rare & historic little boat.
I wish I had the storage room here for another boat !
Good Luck Selling it
& Good Health !

Tbdeaux
01-07-2010, 05:16 PM
Thanks Silverghost for the history of the Formula Jr. I didn't know they were that rare.

Tbdeaux
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
Still For Sale