PDA

View Full Version : Bent bravo 3 skeg

Goldeneyee
12-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I've discovered that upon close examination I have a bent skeg on one of my bravo 3 drives. Any suggestions as how to straighten without breaking the skeg? Thanks...

fogducker III
12-24-2009, 01:07 PM
I've discovered that upon close examination I have a bent skeg on one of my bravo 3 drives. Any suggestions as how to straighten without breaking the skeg? Thanks...

In the past I have used two heavy rubber mallets. Hold one in place on one side and hit the other, start off reasonably soft and work up, you will feel and see the skeg move, the aluminium is fairly pliable and should straighten with a couple of good smacks...

BUIZILLA
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
or it will just break off... :shocking:

if it's not real bad, I would leave it alone..

MOP
12-24-2009, 01:14 PM
How bad a bend? I have straightened quite a few but it does depend on just how bad! If it is a reasonable bend you will need a dead blow hammer or a reasonably heavy plastic one, it must be done slowly with many medium power hits. If you try to whack it hard you can break it, the fins are fairly forgiving just take your time. A bend of say 1/2" will take 20-30 blows, before starting look carefully at the forward and trailing edges for any sign of cracking, if any cracking is present it will need welding first. It is good to check the edges as you hit to see if any cracking is starting. With care you can tap a 1" out skeg back to straight.

Phil

gcarter
12-24-2009, 01:15 PM
or it will just break off... :shocking:

if it's not real bad, I would levae it alone..
What he said.

MOP
12-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Forgert the couple of good smacks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fogducker III
12-24-2009, 01:53 PM
OK guys, maybe I should have put in a little more detail, but basically, if it is a 1 or 2" bend with NO cracks, it can easily be coaxed back straight, I have done lots of them, and NO it will not break if done as directed....

The "good couple of smacks" was stated AFTER the directions above it and was meant as striking the skeg a few times will strighten it as long as all criteria stated is followed...geesh you guys are a hard crowd.....:frown:

gcarter
12-24-2009, 01:57 PM
geesh you guys are a hard crowd.....:frown:

It's not boating season for most of you!
What's it called????
Cabin fever?

Goldeneyee
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
Many thanks for all the replies. I'll give it a whirl once things warm up around here......

Ed Donnelly
12-24-2009, 06:28 PM
That should be in what??? 4 months?????????:shades::shades:....Ed