PDA

View Full Version : Need info on 01 ( 28zx )

stationinc
12-24-2009, 09:11 AM
Just purchased 2001 28ZX
The seller reposessed the boat but didn't know a lot about it other than he kept in good condition ( used 4 or 5 times ) and then sold to me
Boat has twin I/O 5.7s with 23p props
Like to know if I can go to a higher speed prop for those stock engines

Any info would be appreciated
Post or e-mail to stationinc@aol.com
Thanks

Mr X
12-24-2009, 09:17 AM
What is your max speed and max RPM's now?

stationinc
12-24-2009, 07:21 PM
I have been stuck in cold weather since purchase
Taken out only a couple of times & haven't check that out yet
I hope to have out in early Jan, I will let you know then

I know the engines are 5.7s
I am just not sure of which they are

stationinc

Mr X
12-24-2009, 08:59 PM
I have been stuck in cold weather since purchase
Taken out only a couple of times & haven't check that out yet
I hope to have out in early Jan, I will let you know then

I know the engines are 5.7s
I am just not sure of which they are

stationinc
They are 350 Mag MPI's and you are at 5100....with the 23's
You prob. can not turn the 25's ....as thats what the 28ZX scorpion edition with 377's came with......and it was a bit more horse power.
We proped that boat right from the factory with the 23's and ALL were test run.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Just a question Mr X, I was told the 5.7's were rated at 260hp and the 350MAG's are rated at 300hp. Is this correct? Thanx in advance for the confirmation, I know you know your stuff,

tom

VetteLT193
12-28-2009, 03:12 PM
and if you don't mind the brain picking session to continue... what props were standard for a 28 ZXO, 6.2 MPI's with 1.65 drives? The build sheet has "14 5/8 X 23 4R" written on it. I got 23 M+'s but am on the limiters trimmed in and the planing stinks with them. Were they supposed to be Revolution 4's?

In the red
01-01-2010, 11:19 AM
You also need to check your drive ratio which is printed on the decal on the side of the drives. If they are 1.5 then the 23 is the correct prop. In contrast my 06 350 mag mpi 28ZX came with 1.65 drives and the 25 mirage plus. It runs right at 5000 rpm's and planes easily.

stationinc
02-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Took the ZX out today for the 1st hard run
A couple of questions: >>> OK 3
1 - She handled great except for turns ( not sharp )
@ 20 to 30mph about a 100 yard turn, wheel wants to whip almost like air in the hydraulic lines or ??????????
I know this can't be correct. ?????????
Yes I am going to check the steering hydral 1st
Am I missing something with the trim tabs, but that can't be it completly because it whips to hard w/ tabs up or down
2 - Didn't want to top it out to much w/ the steering as it is so I ran it up to approx 3000 rpms w/ motors & trims down & worked upward
Rpms came up to approx 4000 to 4200
According to dashboard mph ( 40 to 43mph ) >>> No GPS yet
As I understand, these eng like it @ 4000 to 4800 & tops out @ 5000 to 5200
Do these #s sound cosher
3 - Any recommendations on a ( GPS/Depth Finder ) all in one that can be flush mounted
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
stationinc@aol.com

mrfixxall
02-07-2010, 09:15 PM
Twin engine boats are totelly differant then a single engine boat,they azz steer..Ist just somthin you have to get use to,that boat with the 5.7's should do mid 60's,,tabs all the way up and drives on ? 7 -8 i believe...

VetteLT193
02-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Took the ZX out today for the 1st hard run
A couple of questions: >>> OK 3
1 - She handled great except for turns ( not sharp )
@ 20 to 30mph about a 100 yard turn, wheel wants to whip almost like air in the hydraulic lines or ??????????
I know this can't be correct. ?????????
Yes I am going to check the steering hydral 1st
Am I missing something with the trim tabs, but that can't be it completly because it whips to hard w/ tabs up or down
2 - Didn't want to top it out to much w/ the steering as it is so I ran it up to approx 3000 rpms w/ motors & trims down & worked upward
Rpms came up to approx 4000 to 4200
According to dashboard mph ( 40 to 43mph ) >>> No GPS yet
As I understand, these eng like it @ 4000 to 4800 & tops out @ 5000 to 5200
Do these #s sound cosher
3 - Any recommendations on a ( GPS/Depth Finder ) all in one that can be flush mounted
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
stationinc@aol.com

Do you have external hydraulic steering or is it standard Merc steering?

Do you have 1.5 ratio drives? The MPH seems low to me. I had those props but with 1.65 ratio and ran approx. 45 MPH at those RPM's. I think you should have 1.5 ratio drives on a 2001 so you should be closer to 50MPH there.

When you are steering are the RPM's pretty constant between the 2 engines? When I had those props on my boat one engine liked to blow out in the turns. I could see where that might cause some funky steering feeling, especially with standard Merc. steering.

I just got a Northstar GPS that will accept a depth transducer. It is also smartcraft compatible. The biggest issue is where you are going to mount the thing. There is no room with my stock dash to flush mount a GPS. The best hope you have is to get the one like I have and mount it where the external trim indicators go if your boat doesn't have them. Other than that it pretty much has to get dashboard mounted.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-08-2010, 08:48 AM
Forgive me for being basic, but I have to ask if you are turning the boat and your drives are all the way down? If so, this is the problem in your steering concern. Your stepped hull bites in the water in a wicked way when turning. Needs to be trimmed up enough to keep the bow from plowing for safe comfortable turns.

Planetwarmer
02-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I like to play with the throttles in a long sweeping turn. I will slightly lower the RPMs on the motor towards the inside of the turn, then bring it back when I straighten out. I do this a small amount, so the bow doesn't drop. You can also slightly raise the the RPMs on the outside motor. It really depends on if I am wanting to accelerate out of a turn or slow down a bit as to weather or not I back off, or gas it during the turn.

:eek:I have never driven a stepped hull boat, and this may unsettle the hull during a turn and cause a spin-out. Wait until someone with some experience with a stepped hull says this is OK to do before you try this.:confused:

I always feel it is better to be trimmed up in a turn over trimmed all the way down. If you think of the direction of the thrust while the drives are trimmed down, you will see how it is counter productive to turn with the drives down. It pushes the bow toward the opposite direction of your turn when the drives are down.

Planetwarmer
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM
Don't make turns with the tabs down in a stepped hull. I hear this can cause a spin out. During turns, you don't usually want anything that pushes the bow down (toward the outside of the turn).

stationinc
02-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts
W/O a trim indicator telling me my trims were all up or down, I am not sure
With this stepdown hull like it is, tabs being ( down a little or a-lot ) is more than likely my issue along with the trim of the engines
I hope it is that easy, I will try again

With regards to the engines:
I am also going to play with the power ( up & down ) on the outside of my turns to see if that plays a big role too
Thanks all
stationinc

VetteLT193
02-09-2010, 06:47 AM
just be careful through the turns. wear your kill switch lanyard too.

Don't use your tabs for this test. pull them all the way up. just leave them up for the duration of the ride if you can until you get used to the boat.

stationinc
02-13-2010, 08:28 AM
Thanks to all
I will keep you posted

stationinc