PDA

View Full Version : Yes, yet again, seat bases...

fogducker III
12-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I know this has been flogged to death but I thought this might help.

One of my older brothers, built like a gorilla, broke the passenger seat base at the end of the season.

I had the stock, Springfield cast base, junk IMO.

After reading numerous threads about this I agreed with facts about Garelick.

I bought a base and a set of "togglers" more on those later....:frown:

I started to remove the old base, bolts spun, so did the nuts under the base, I read that a small hand could get in there and hold the nut, NOT!!!. As you see in the picture, on my boat there is NO way to access the nuts....plan B.

I wrapped a large screwdriver in a rag and pryed the mount up from the base, applying pressure against the nuts which was enough to hold them in place while I unscrewed the bolts, success....:kingme:

The base was in good shape, I drilled the holes larger for the togglers, nifty items but made cheaply and expensive!

So I put the togglers in place, well the first three, the forth was set in place and the metal "wing nut" on the end of the plastic double zap strap holder falls off, never to be seen again....back to the parts store...:crossfing:

Finally get all the togglers in place and the one side of the base attached to the bottom of the seat...I spend the next hour trying to line up the two sets of tracks while feeding the locking nut into the track...:shocking:

The locking nut threads onto the adjustment handle that loosens and tightens the track slider...anyhow, it is all in, total cost, $114 and a six pack........:pizza:

Seat is solid as a rock, might do the driver's side when I have a spare couple of hours....:cool:

gcarter
12-23-2009, 08:37 PM
A 4" diameter hole sawn through the middle of the base and some T-nuts make this a whole lot simpler.
Gives you access to the outside of the stringers too.

gcarter
12-23-2009, 08:38 PM
You did get the right sliders though!:yes:

fogducker III
12-23-2009, 09:48 PM
A 4" diameter hole sawn through the middle of the base and some T-nuts make this a whole lot simpler.
Gives you access to the outside of the stringers too.

It might be easier that way but I think taking 4" diameter of "meat" out of about an 8" square would do nothing but weaken the structure......

Yes this was a little bit of a PITA but I think the seat will last longer this way...

gcarter
12-23-2009, 10:13 PM
Material removed from the neutral axis doesn't weaken the structure.
Think of a bar joist in a building, or access holes cut into the web of an I-beam or a wide flange beam.

exzebra
02-17-2011, 07:03 AM
:confused:Can the bucket seats be slid off the bases to allow more room to work behind the dashboard? If so, how? I have the OEM mounts and sliders as shown in this thread. Thanks.:confused: