PDA

View Full Version : Bbc

Conquistador_del_mar
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-ap-us-gm-big-block,0,5745465.story

Dr. David Fleming
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
LIke General Patton said: In ancient times conquering heros would be welcomed with a parade called a triumph. The conquer would ride a chariot pulled by white trace horses and his family rode with him. Within the spectacle would be captured armaments and prizes from the foreign lands. Captured prisoners would follow in chains - and all the while someone wispering in his ear "all glory is fleeting!"

If Chevy don't make it anymore its still a conquerer! LOng live the bbc.

Shame on you General Motors for dragging your ass in the dust in front of us. We expected at least you would keep your house in order.

gcarter
12-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Merc, or anyone else for that matter, could still supply engines for decades since there're many suppliers, like Dart, that make all the necessary components

HIGH LIFE
12-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Bill, That was a sad article. But on the other hand all of the major outboard mfg. are producing motors in excess of 300 h.p. "HIGH LIFE"

Donzi Vol
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Really? Really? Let's read between the lines here...

The government owns GM. The government wants everyone to drive a 4cyl tin can. I wonder why the big blocks are done for?

I'm not trying to rouse up a silly political talk here, but it's just the situation we're in that times are changing. I wonder what will be powering performance cars and boats when I'm 50. 1000 hamsters on a wheel?

The Hedgehog
12-22-2009, 06:57 PM
Really? Really? Let's read between the lines here...

The government owns GM. The government wants everyone to drive a 4cyl tin can. I wonder why the big blocks are done for?

I'm not trying to rouse up a silly political talk here, but it's just the situation we're in that times are changing. I wonder what will be powering performance cars and boats when I'm 50. 1000 hamsters on a wheel?

As long as you don't get into the gerbils!

Walt. H.
12-22-2009, 10:40 PM
D.V.

At the rate things are going there won't be anything Hi-Performance new or old in a few years, like the hotrods are being phased out by attrition and that word Hi-perf will be removed from the dictionary for our own good by some one's authority like so many other things that have faded by law from our societies vocabulary without notice.
I won't say anything more due to the obvious fear of stepping into or violating the our world of P.C.
But as Americans we will find a way to make more with less as we have done over the past few years.:yes:

CHACHI
12-23-2009, 07:06 AM
I don't know what will become of the "horsepower race" when DV is 50, but I do that Detroit has made a lot more horsepower now than they did when I was 25.

Ken

gcarter
12-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't know what will become of the "horsepower race" when DV is 50, but I do that Detroit has made a lot more horsepower now than they did when I was 25.

Ken
I agree!
Just go back and read the post by the Harbormaster about their SBC program....I seem to remember 500 HP.
I know they've put the program on hold, but this may have some impact on it.

But considering "after market engines"....I seem to remember that new 392 based and 426 Hemi Chrysler engines are still available!
The last 392 Hemi left the factory in '58 or so.

Bamboo Loui
12-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree with all and have enjoyed the heck out of big blocks since I was a kid. My 427 vette, my friends 440 six packs, 426s both hemis and even the wedge, another friend had a weird 427 mustang GT that said it was a GT390 when he ordered it-- damn was he surprized when he had to replace the clutch!! 1&1/2" bigger than a 428!!

I am sort of geeked over some future prospects though. I hope my next car will be the new A8 with the 4.2 TD-- 0-60 in 5.5 sec. 550ft#s of torque!

Maybe some new technologies will be fun but I agree that the BBCs will probably really never die -- just get harder and more expensive to find.

shame on GM, but then what's new?

gcarter
12-24-2009, 04:20 PM
Maybe some new technologies will be fun but I agree that the BBCs will probably really never die -- just get harder and more expensive to find.

GM has historically squandered some wonderful opportunities. :yes:

But then again, many of these legends are still available in one form or another.....might be pricey though!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300255111433&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300255122372&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Choprpilot
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
The local news (Buffalo) mention that the sport boat suppliers purchase 2 years worth of the L18 BBC from the Tonawanda engine Plant before the shut down last week

silverghost
12-27-2009, 10:24 PM
Aftermarket engines are out there~
But at very high prices.
Only a select few will be able to afford them; or would be willing to buy them at these prices!

And if this is not bad enough news I hear from insiders that GM/Chevrolet may shut down Corvette producion forever soon!
Also GM Performance may be shutting down also !
Get your GM crate engines & parts now guys~
While you still can !
As for me~
I'm glad I have a spare High Perf. 454 MK IV in storage in my garage!

Another indication that American industry is going down the drain.
China just tested the fastest train in the world at 215 MPH and say it is capable of 250 MPH.
No doubt these trains were built with money from all the Walmart products we buy from China !

BUY AMERICAN !
YOUR JOB AND STANDARD OF LIVING MAY DEPEND ON IT !

gcarter
12-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Ford offers these still.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/images/part/full/M-6007-D514FT.jpg

521 CI and about 600 HP. All for less than $10,000!
I know Merc BBC exhausts bolt up w/an adapter plate.
Maybe it's time for Ford to get back into the marine business.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/crateengine/main.asp

silverghost
12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Decades ago (late 70s?) Chrysler went out of the marine engine businness. They were a big player since the 30s in this business.
Ford has had basically one marine engine buyer in the last 20 years Pleasurecraft Marine (PCM). Not many years ago Ford announced that they would no longer supply their small blocks, 351 etc, to PCM any longer.
PCM was hit very hard by this.
Now GM is shutting down various engine production lines ~

Dare I say this~
Marine engine builders might have to resort to buying engines from Toyota in the not to distant future !

OR:
Osco & Barr might have to go back into the engine conversion parts business. At one time they sold parts to convert most any engine. Buick, Cadillac, Olds etc.
Get your engine out of a junked car & build your own~ like in the 40s,50s, and 60s !
I remember doing this !
In the early days Chris~Craft had their own lines of marine engines based on Hercules industrial flathead sixes & their own custom-built designs like the (A120 ).
Someone out there should buy Chevy's BBC & SMC production equipment!
Mercruiser should do this ! They have enough cash to do so.