PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify This Donzi Hull

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Anyone care to provide insight into this hull number ............C16B - 63

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Anyone care to provide insight into this hull number ............C16B - 63

more info would help. from my limited knowledge of the old classics it sounds like the 63rd 16 built since they started making them. I'm not sure what year that puts it at.

maddad
12-22-2009, 01:22 PM
The C indicates Chisholm, a little after the 63rd 16'er.

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 01:54 PM
The C indicates Chisholm, a little after the 63rd 16'er.

maybe the "B" is a number?

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Here is a photo ..........it is "glued" to the lounge seating fiberglass and hidden by the rear cushion.

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 02:44 PM
Does the fact the hull came with the OEM windshield assist in determining what potential years it might have fallen into? I know that the ugly windshield was a factory option, I just don't know if that option was available from the mid 60's hulls right through 1976.

Any thoughts?

Rootsy
12-22-2009, 03:23 PM
16 baby (Outboard). Hull #63. 1972

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 06:17 PM
Rootsy,

What in the number indicates that it is an O/B ? There is no number on the transom.

donzi racer
12-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Rootsy,

What in the number indicates that it is an O/B ? There is no number on the transom.

Sorry, but it could be the B for Baby. 16 Baby is what that model is called, although my name is not Rootsy so sorry for butting in. My guess though. The #'s on the transoms came in 1972-1974 I believe.
Tom

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Why would there not be an embossed HIN on the transom?

BUIZILLA
12-22-2009, 07:57 PM
a transom stamping wasn't required that early in 72...

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
I did not realize that 72 was a "no stamp required" year. Thanks Buizilla for that info. What year was the HIN stamp enforced?

Here is a photo of the foil stick on, it is in pretty bad shape and includes what looks like a Patent Pending number at the bottom of the foil. What gives with that?

Greg Guimond
12-22-2009, 08:53 PM
This hull must be a lot earlier then 1972 if BUIZILLA and donzi racer are correct about when embossed HIN's became enforced. Here is another clue using another hull from the Registry......HIN = DMR161060174-B

DMR = Donzi Marine Racing
16 = model
106 = 106 of that model ( baby OB )
0174 = certified in Jan of 1974
-B = Baby Outboard

Thoughts?

onesubdrvr
12-22-2009, 09:31 PM
This hull must be a lot earlier then 1972 if BUIZILLA and donzi racer are correct about when embossed HIN's became enforced. Here is another clue using another hull from the Registry......HIN = DMR161060174-B

DMR = Donzi Marine Racing
16 = model
106 = 106 of that model ( baby OB )
0174 = certified in Jan of 1974
-B = Baby Outboard

Thoughts?

I dunno, it all makes sense to me,... hull #63, from 1972, 2 years later, 43 more hulls,..... very possible if you ask me.

Wayne

Rootsy
12-23-2009, 07:22 AM
B is for Baby (Outboard). #63 is a 72 hull....You can take that to the bank.

MOP
12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Is it in fact an O/B hull?

donzi racer
12-23-2009, 07:58 AM
B is for Baby (Outboard). #63 is a 72 hull....You can take that to the bank.

Was the 1st year of the OB Babies 1970 or 1971. We had a 1971 Baby 37 years ago, I sure do wish I knew the hull # of that one. Tom

Rootsy
12-23-2009, 08:04 AM

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 08:52 AM
I find this kind of funny and a little disheartening that in 2010 there are people on the board that still can't get a grasp on hulls numbers and HINS.
There is a ton of info on this site and else where on the web but they don't seem to want to look for it. why do I always have to type this stuff??? then I get picked on for my writing skills?? or I am "correcting" someone, sorry I thought the site was about factual info???
:rolleyes:

Jim,Maddad and Rootsy are correct. on the following points

HIN mandated in fall of 1972 not 1972-1974
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.htm

C= chisholm in a pre HIN hull number with a few exceptions like corsicans but maddad is right this isn't a corsican so the C= chisholm
any Outboard 16 with a hull number or tag would fall into Baby production run of 1970 to 1978 of less than 170 hulls

there were older OB that were not really production models but experimental models prior to this production run ( very few very rare) then AMH in the mid 90's ran a few 16 OB classic models

it is kind of hard to compare pre HIN hull numbers to a HIN . pre hin they could do what they wanted C for Chisholm or coriscan or B for BABY . In the fall of 1972 the USCG gave Donzi their MIC ( manf'gr identity code) to use in their HIN. the only thing that was kept in the transistion was the total production number.
that was a good thing.

I bet this boat is all white with light "baby" (actually barbados) blue stripes. most of the Babies came in that color scheme also they were the first right hand helm 16 produced.
probably easier for john harmon at bilt rite interiors to run off a few reverse pattern interiors all in one color.

the search button is your friend.
hope this helps if it is not helping just let me know I'll shut up

Rootsy
12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Is it in fact an O/B hull?

Did I stutter?

Greg Guimond
12-23-2009, 09:47 AM
mattyboy ( aka masterblaster )

Thank you for the awesome overview and sorry that you had to chime in but it certainly is greatly appreciated! While I have you jacked on coffee and with laster focus can I ask two other questions on behalf of the broader group.

Q1 - Did Donzi at ANY point during the production run of the 16's specifically and 16/18/22 Classics in general pre 1976 offer yellow as a gelcoat color option?

Q2 - Did 16 OB's follow there own numbering route or was the production run for 16's (I/O-O/B-Jet-Direct) numbered sequentially thru the years regardless of propulsion?

Many thanks for the answers!

ps: Donzi 16's don't do 80 on GPS :yes:

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 09:57 AM
mattyboy ( aka masterblaster )

Thank you for the awesome overview and sorry that you had to chime in but it certainly is greatly appreciated! While I have you jacked on coffee and with laster focus can I ask two other questions on behalf of the broader group.

Q1 - Did Donzi at ANY point during the production run of the 16's specifically and 16/18/22 Classics in general pre 1976 offer yellow as a gelcoat color option?

Q2 - Did 16 OB's follow there own numbering route or was the production run for 16's (I/O-O/B-Jet-Direct) numbered sequentially thru the years regardless of propulsion?

Many thanks for the answers!

Q1 yes yellow was offered the color inca gold and a brighter yellow not sure of the gel name on the brighter yellow one of the 16's on display at Abercrombie and fitch on 5th ave NYC in the early 60's was yellow. also the famous brochure of the 18 on the rocket trailer next to the lear jet that was yellow too.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/easy_pages.php?p=5

they did not make any yellow 22s prior to 1976 they did not make the 22 til 1978 and it first rendering was in criterion form

Q2 there were 2 distinct 16 foot models prior to 1980 the ski sporter NOT "sweet 16" no 16 was ever ever refered to as a sweet 16 prior to 1990 and the 16 outboard baby

the skisporter was an i/o/ v drive maybe a jet as some hulls left unrigged all were left hand helm

the baby was the right hand helm designed for the right handed prop rotation of outboard motors avail. at that time.

and being to different models with 2 different decks they had their own production numbering sequence just like the x 18, 18 2+3 , and corsican

please don't call me master blaster, matty or mattyboy is good & I don't drink coffee ;)

I don't mind helping out either I just don't like doing all the work myself ;) I like to know you have done your part too :)

Rootsy
12-23-2009, 11:36 AM

I beg to differ...

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 11:39 AM
I beg to differ...

LOL i thought you might see that ;)

Greg Guimond
12-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Matty,

The extra details are appreciated! So if the reference names of pre 1980 16 hulls were -

A: 16 Ski Sporter (propulsion = stern, v, or jet)
B: 16 Baby (propulsion = weedeater)

And the respective Ski Sporter and Baby had completely seperate production numbering sequences then is it possible that (43) 16 Baby hulls were produced in the short time from 1972 to 1974? That seems like an LOT of OB hulls to place into the market and compete with the 16 Ski Sporter brother.

Am I properly interpreting your description and TIA.

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Matty,
The extra details are appreciated! So if the reference names of pre 1980 16 hulls were -
A: 16 Ski Sporter (propulsion = stern, v, or jet)
B: 16 Baby (propulsion = weedeater)
And the respective Ski Sporter and Baby had completely seperate production numbering sequences then is it possible that (43) 16 Baby hulls were produced in the short time from 1972 to 1974? That seems like an LOT of OB hulls to place into the market and compete with the 16 Ski Sporter brother.
Am I properly interpreting your description and TIA.

yes very possible and in fact that is exactly what happened.

my 67 skisporter was started and out the door in two weeks as were about 6 others in the month of april 1967 do the math .

now take into account the 16 babies were not rigged just the interior i bet a good crew could bang them out twice as fast as a skisporter.

Also the 16 baby and 16 skisporter really didn't compete I would look at that as a complimentary product line.

they fit two needs or markets.

A) the people you wanted the ease of maint of an outboard over crawling in the bilge

B) price driven people . I would imagine the baby would have some more leeway in pricing as it was unrigged and if someone had power could by the hull and rigg it themselves

I am not your brother;)

joseph m. hahnl
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
yes very possible and in fact that is exactly what happened.

my 67 skisporter was started and out the door in two weeks as were about 6 others in the month of april 1967 do the math . now take into account the 16 babies were not rigged just the interior i bet a good crew could bang them out twice as fast as a skisporter. Also the 16 baby and 16 skisporter really didn't compete I would look at that as a complimentary product line. they fit two needs or markets. the people you wanted the ease of maint of an outboard over crawling in the bilge plus i would imagine the baby would have some more leeway in pricing as it was unrigged and if someone had power could by the hull and rigg it themselves
I am not your brother;)

I think he ment sister:kingme:

Sister ship that is:yes:

Carl C
12-23-2009, 03:16 PM
Matty, the "period" and "shift" buttons are your friends........

:wink:

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 03:18 PM
gotcha , thanks read that the wrong way

here we go with the english lit majors again !!!!

:rolleyes:

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 03:37 PM
okay let's put this another way. In a way maybe the english majors can understand.

In basic fundemental math terms , averages can be found by using existing known numbers.

so let's look at the numbers shall we?

total productions numbers for the 16 baby = approx 170 units.

total production run time period 1970 to 1978 = 8 years.

So with an annual production average of 21.25 hulls per year it is possible and very well probable, that infact 43 hulls were produced in the 2 year period from 1972 to 1974 .

:)

joseph m. hahnl
12-23-2009, 04:00 PM
okay let's put this another way. In a way maybe the english majors can understand.

In basic fundamental math terms , averages can be found by using existing known numbers.

so let's look at the numbers shall we?

total productions numbers for the 16 baby = approx 170 units.

total production run time period 1970 to 1978 = 8 years.

So with an annual production average of 21.25 hulls per year it is possible and very well probable, that in fact 43 hulls were produced in the 2 year period from 1972 to 1974 .

HMMM!!!!!!!!! That's 1.79 boats per month for 2 years or a total of 1.77 per month for 8 yrs or less than 1/2 a boat per week.

more likely,:yes: than probable:wink:

Greg Guimond
12-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Matty,

So the pieces fall together............

This was a Chisolm era 16 Baby, and the Chisolm era would time stamp to a very early in the 1972 year production when transom stamped HIN's would not be required by the feds per Buizilla. The foil imprint is in the correct spot ( rear upper lounge, dead center ) to authenticate the hull. Why then would there not be any under deck markings in grease or construction pencil just forward of the steering helm cutout? I thought that all the 16's (Ski Sporter and Baby) in the pre 1980 genre would have carried a second set of hand scribed markings?

Sidebar question for the broader group .........who has the correct gel color code for the bright yellow that would have been ultra rare but factory "correct" as displayed at A+F in the early 60's?

Rootsy, I should have said "current" 16's don't GPS 80. No one on the board has posted better then 74 GPS in 2009 :confused:

Just Say N20
12-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Fluffy Foo-foo's 16 goes over 80, but hasn't yet with him at the helm.

And I believe Parnell's is going to. :yes:

Greg Guimond
12-23-2009, 07:35 PM
And the bright yellow gel 16 Ski Sporter, a rare but evidently documented piece of history .........

Aronow and Wynne revised the design and the first Donzi -- the Sweet 16 -- was born. And quite a star it was. After a cameo appearance in the Fifth Avenue window of elite sporting goods seller Abercrombie and Fitch, as well as a presentation at the 1965 New York Boat Show, acclamations and orders poured in -- including ones from President Lyndon Johnson (he used it on the lake at his Texas ranch) and from the Israeli armed forces.

Who has the gel coat reference number?

RPD
12-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Greg ...

Where did you get that quote? (and I'm sure the error in it will be noticed by someone here!)

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 08:02 PM
is this the color you are looking for??
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=51778&d=1256474654

Sweet Cheekz
12-23-2009, 08:13 PM
I beg to differ...

I too will differ....soon

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
And the bright yellow gel 16 Ski Sporter, a rare but evidently documented piece of history .........

Aronow and Wynne revised the design and the first Donzi -- the Sweet 16 -- was born. And quite a star it was. After a cameo appearance in the Fifth Avenue window of elite sporting goods seller Abercrombie and Fitch, as well as a presentation at the 1965 New York Boat Show, acclamations and orders poured in -- including ones from President Lyndon Johnson (he used it on the lake at his Texas ranch) and from the Israeli armed forces.

Who has the gel coat reference number?

Greg is this a quote or a statement??? if you qoute something you should say where it came from

Greg Guimond
12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Matty,

Thanks for the Hornet photo, while it gives us all a taste I am really looking for the photo of the A+F ultra rare yellow 16 Ski Sporter. It sounds to me like yellow gel may in fact be the rarest color ever to be pulled out of the mold for a 16 Classic. Was it full yellow, cockpit, deck, and hull? Hmmmmm. Certainly fewer then 5 16C hulls ever sold with that color I would suspect. Someone has to have a photo or a gel cross reference number? Photo would be the best as it sounds like the same boat was at the 1965 New York Boat Show and may have been the only 16 ever produced in that color. Makes Inca Gold look commonplace!

silverghost
12-24-2009, 01:51 AM
Matty mentioned a Jet 16 was possibly offered.
I remember a bright yellow 16 Donzi Berkeley/Olds 455 jet that was sold new by Longport Marine (also designers of the famous Loveitt automatic bilge pump) around 1970 . Dad saw it new on the dealer's showroom floor. It was sold & later docked near my Uncle's lagoon front house in Ocean City NJ.
It was powered by an Olds 455/ Berkeley Jet . For some reason back in this era the Berkeley jet always seemed to be coupled to an Olds 455. in most all jet boat brands. Why this was~ I do not know ?
The big Olds 455 sat very low in the bilge. A standard hatch with no scoop was used.
This boat would handle like no other boat around.
It was unbelievable !
As a teenager I was nuts about this Donzi jet and one day swore I would own one !
It's the only Donzi 16 Jet I ever saw first hand.
It was a fixture around Ocean City NJ for decades.
It disappeared for quite some time before popping-up for sale in Sea Isle City NJ a few years back. I was tipped-off to the sale and drove down to look at it, and buy it, on a Sunday. The office was closed. I called Monday only to find out that it had sold for $3000 just days before!
Where she went I do not know?
Later in the early 70s my uncle would buy an X18 Donzi Berkeley/Olds 455 jet new from the same dealer.
I had literally hundreds of hours of driver's seat time in this X18 jet. Most of my spare summer job money was spent on gas for this jet.
Sadly without telling me, or offering to sell it to me, my uncle sold this X18 Donzi Jet. I was, and still am, heart-broken over this family slight. I would have bought her in a heartbeat.
I have never been able to find another Donzi jet to buy.
As a "Big 50 y/o Kid" now the great memory of those fantastic Donzi Berkeley/Olds 455 jets is still burned into my mind.
I must have one~
Seems I must now buy an old Donzi hull and build it myself!
Over this same time period there were several 16-18 Donzis sold new in the Ocean City NJ area.
One was the "Benchseat 18" project that I bought late this summer.
There also was , and still is sitting in a garage, a red/white baby 14 in the area.
One has to wonder just how many jet-drive Donzi's were ever built?
Are there any factory records of the number of jet installations ?
Few, it seems, are known to exist today~
Were these sold as un-rigged power&driveless hulls and the Berkeley jet/Olds 455 drive packages installed elsewhere?
I don't know~
Any guys on this board who worked for Donzi remember building or selling the Donzi jets ?
I know for a fact Longport Marine in South Jersey sold at least one 16 & X18 that I know about!
Our friend Axel in Germany has a GT21 that was once jet-powerd when he bought the old hull.
He has since converted it to I/O drive & it is now under extensive restoration.
He is doing a super job.
I tried to coax him into re-powering with a 455/jet set-up!
Any more info known about the Donzi jets?
I have been searching for a Donzi 18(or 16) jet for at least 20 years!

silverghost
12-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Matty: Do you have any idea or Guesstimate of the number of un-rigged engine/driveless hulls Donzi prduced in the late 60s-70s ?
How about the number of Donzi 16 & 18 Jets?
Do you think Donzi actually rigged the Berkeley/Olds455 jets?
OR~
Were these sold without drive packages ?
I would bet it would be almost impossible to buy an engine/driveless boat hull from most boatbuilders today !
I have had friends buy new speed-boats today and pull the new unused engines out and re-power just to get what they really wanted built in the first place.
It was the only way to get the drive package they wanted !

Greg Guimond
12-24-2009, 07:05 AM
silverghost with the Xmas Eve post and a second yellow gel 16 Classic sighting next to the A&F mystery hull. And a jet no less! We need pictures. silverghost, what year do you think that left side steering jet would have been roughly and do you remember it to be "bright yellow" like Matty's 18 Hornet photo or "rich yellow" like the photo in the thread of the 18 C 2+3 ?

mattyboy
12-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Matty,
Thanks for the Hornet photo, while it gives us all a taste I am really looking for the photo of the A+F ultra rare yellow 16 Ski Sporter. It sounds to me like yellow gel may in fact be the rarest color ever to be pulled out of the mold for a 16 Classic. Was it full yellow, cockpit, deck, and hull? Hmmmmm. Certainly fewer then 5 16C hulls ever sold with that color I would suspect. Someone has to have a photo or a gel cross reference number? Photo would be the best as it sounds like the same boat was at the 1965 New York Boat Show and may have been the only 16 ever produced in that color. Makes Inca Gold look commonplace!
Greg, I think you may need to lay of the coffee at bit. there are a good number of yellow 16s around early ones to. Granted yellow is not as common as other colors. Not sure where you are coming up with these qoutes and certainly not sure where your info is coming from??
The rarest color would be the pink 16 or "corral" 16 said to have been made for Don's secretary had a 6 cyl motor. A 16 came up on ebay years ago with that corral color there was talk it might be the one but again no solid proof
Please buy a copy or go to the library and read a copy of "King Of Thunderboat row"
that hornet is the yellow that they used in 1968
Again is that they color you are looking for????
Silver
no have no idea on how many unrigged hulls
To my Knowledge the factory didn't rig a jet 16 .I have seen one 16 jet it is shown here under the model list. I have no confirmation that this is even a donzi it could be a splash ,or a retro fit, or one of the unrrigged hulls
yes the factory rigged jets in other models. do a search on "hard Candy" Barry McGaughlin awesome boat!
or ITTILFLI a member here, he has an X18 factory jet .
they put jets in almost every model

Greg Guimond
12-24-2009, 09:30 AM
If anyone out there has, or knows of a currently owned 16 Classic (must be a 16 but propulsion is irrelevant) that is yellow it would be great to see a photo of it.............hard to tell the true color from the book photo :crossfing:

mattyboy
12-24-2009, 10:05 AM
here we go with the currently again :p
speaking of jets here are a few pics of hard candy and awesome jet 18
and a 16 yellow white deck there are two yellow 16 owned by members of the LGDCC. I don't have access to my pics or membership records right now .
but I can track them down i am sure
in the one pic of our boat show there is all sorts of fun stuff an outboard white and blue, a yellow 16 , just infront of the yellow 22, a v drive gt ,a baby 14
hard candy
http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/album02/bmclaughlinfront.jpg.html
a big squirt
http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/album02/bmclaughlinrooster.jpg.html
the show
http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/album02/show1.jpg.html

silverghost
12-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Greg: There is in fact a yellow jet Donzi 16 out there today~
Somewhere !

It came right out of a known South Jersey Donzi dealer's showroom new in about 1970.
It had the typical Berkeley/Olds 455 jet package that was very common in various brands of jet-boats of that era.
In fact I had never seen in those days a Berkeley Jet that was NOT coupled to the Olds 455 !
I wonder if Berkeley sold the complete drive package to builders ? I suspect so becuse of the jet engine package's unique cooling water plumbing.
We should ask the guys on the various jet-boat forums on the web about this ?
This Donzi jet 16 was a really well known boat in it's day as it's owner liked to run past other boats fast and quickly turn soaking the other boat.
As you might imagine it was was like being hit with a salt water fire hose !
This owner was a real jerk.
I am surprized the boat never met with a midnight sinking.
As far as the jet 16's exact yellow~
It did not seem as dark & bright as the restored Hornet photo~
It was more of a pale yellow with a white stripe.
I have no clue what Donzi called this color.
Not at all dissimilar to my "Benchseat" 18 project's color.
It is true that my yellow 18's gel is now a quite a bit faded.
The true color can still be seen in covered areas; such as under the gauge panel which you can see today.
I wonder if Berkeley sold this complete drive package.
I have no idea as to Inca gold or however Donzi marketed these colors.
As far as photos of the jet 16 goes ~
I think I may still have the old BoatShopper or SaltyDog with the jet pictured a few years ago.
Somewhere ?
I will search for it.
The photo would be a very small & poor B&W photo.
Jets really never caught on; at least not in South Jersey Salt water areas.
The few that were around were very short lived.
Suck sand, stones, or shells inside and you soon tore up the pump impeller and wear band and your performance went way down. New parts were not common.
The jets at low speed also sucked-up lots of fuel wih that big Olds 455.
Remember~ gas was under .50 cents a galln in those days.
Get more than two people in the boat & the speed dropped also.
Jets were also not very good in rough water or around boat-wakes.
On flat water, like a lake, you could not beat their agility!
Jets were a fad that really never caught on with the public~
Especialy not in deep-V hulls like the Donzi 16 &18 !
Before joining this website I never knew how really rare they are now !
Today I see most common old jet boats selling for very little money.
Some guys buy them just to get the engine & just scrap the boat & jet pump today!
Axel in Germany bought his Olds 455 & jet-pump ,that he decided not to use, out of a jet-boat. A few guys are still trying to keep the old jets alive.
You can find most Berkeley & American Turbine parts today & new improvd pumps.
With other jet pump brands you are stuck~
Few parts can be found for other jet-pump brands.
If I can find another basket-case Donzi 18 hull cheap I will build myself a new Donzi jet-boat.
It would seem that I will never own the real original Donzi jet .
They seem to be that rare!

joseph m. hahnl
12-24-2009, 12:48 PM
silverghost with the Xmas Eve post and a second yellow gel 16 Classic sighting next to the A&F mystery hull. And a jet no less! We need pictures. silverghost, what year do you think that left side steering jet would have been roughly and do you remember it to be "bright yellow" like Matty's 18 Hornet photo or "rich yellow" like the photo in the thread of the 18 C 2+3 ?

Well as long as we're being :toiletpap

That Bench seat Hornet Is not gel, but paint .Is it NOT?

Paint....period:wink:

:shocking:

Greg is this a quote or a statement??? if you quote something you should say where it came from

Usually a Quote is in"quotations" believe it or not that is why the symbols are called "quotations":bonk: Unless your talking this Kind of quote"$$$$$$$" and then you use a dollar symbol:wink:

When making a statement you use a period at the end of the sentence.:yes:

silverghost
12-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Perhapps Scott was trying to copy the real original yellow gell used on the period 18 & Hornet like my "BenchSeat" 18 project has ! ; )
I may have my hull's original yellow gell sanded & compounded & computer paint scanned at my buddy's bodyshop and have him mix-up a batch of this yellow for me to use on my deck after re-coring & fairing.
I will supply auto paint mix codes to any interested at that time.
The boat's hull only has two small 1/16" gell chips which I should be able fix.
Since the boat will sit in the salt water for prolonged times I don't want to paint the hull with Imron / Awlgrip etc. We will see how this cleans up with sanding & 3M SuperDuty Compound.
I don't want to get into re-gelling now as I have enough to do on this project as it is.

mattyboy
12-24-2009, 03:08 PM
Well as long as we're being :toiletpap

That Bench seat Hornet Is not gel, but paint .Is it NOT?

:shocking:

Usually a Quote is in"quotations" believe it or not that is why the symbols are called "quotations":bonk: Unless your talking this Kind of quote"$$$$$$$" and then you use a dollar symbol:wink:

When making a statement you use a period at the end of the sentence.:yes:

Joe

sorry try again it is gel, the original gel color used in 1968 for the second time. not sure what point you are getting at???

thanks for the english lesson !!!

but I am on Holiday break no school work for me .

Silver,
a 455 in a 16 would be a nightmare to work on that could be an un rigged boat that the dealer rigged. pics would be awesome

Fluffy Foo-Foo
12-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Fluffy Foo-foo's 16 goes over 80, but hasn't yet with him at the helm.

And I'm going to take my sweet time getting it up there!:)

Had a Sanger 18' with a 455 Olds and it wasn't TOO bad to work on. Now in a 16 with a cover...That's a different story!

:beer:

Almost forgot.... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

silverghost
12-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Speaking from personal history~ An Olds455/ Berkeley in an X18 is also a big pain to work on.
And I was a lot thinner in the 70s !
The biggest issue really was changing the oil filter. The fuel pump was also a pain.
You get used to hanging over the back seat and practically standing on your head. The engine sat much lower in a jet-pump installation. The Olds 455 jet-pump engine had a special flat bottom marine oil pan. All these 455 engines had log style manifolds.
If you look in the For Sale section you will see my uncle"s old Olds 455"Spare Engine" for his Donzi X 18 that was never used. The engine I believe is quite a bit lighter than the Chevy 396/427/454 Big Block. The V between the cylinder heads is much wider (check out the intake manifold) so the engine itself is much shorter. The Olds 455 is built more like a punched-out small block. The heads are much smaller also.. It's really a compact package for it's CuI In displacment
Perhapps this is why it was used in jet-pump applications.
In a jet-pump the old saying rings true.
"There is no replacment for displacment! ".

As I have said before~
Most, if not all, original equipped Berkeley jets came coupled with the Olds 455 in the day.
This sounds like a strange package but it would appear that the Olds 455 was the engine of choice for a Berkeley jet.
Perhapps this combo engine/jet-pump was sold as package by Berkeley ?
The off the shelf small blocks of the day did not have the horsepower in the 300 range of today's smallblocks.
I have never seen a Small Block Chevy coupled to the Berkeley jet pump ; at least not in the 70s !

joseph m. hahnl
12-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Joe

sorry try again it is gel, the original gel color used in 1968 for the second time. not sure what point you are getting at???

thanks for the english lesson !!!

but I am on Holiday break no school work for me .

Silver,
a 455 in a 16 would be a nightmare to work on that could be an un rigged boat that the dealer rigged. pics would be awesome

"OOPS" Some former threads led me to believe it was paint. :shocking:

Then I came across this:kingme:

The color is by Mini Craft-Piranha Kote Yellow. Its Gelcoat.

English is over rated, I prefer American:salute:

mattyboy
12-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Silver,
the blue 18 i posted had the setup you refer to. All of the jet boats on my lake seemed to have the same setup too, sutphen or sidewinder didn't matter
olds berkely setup.

Joe,
thank you I knew someone would go back and find the answer ;)
I guess my point a quote gleaned from another thread , can be taken out of context or be misunderstood. That's why I dislike when people edit or truncate a quote. Take the entire quote and let the reader decide it's meaning. Also put the link in or source of the quote, so the reader can see other info that might be relevant.
your quote by Scott is dead on no gel for him on any of his boats,but the Hornet is not his. We are rigging it for a friend Paul Herzan.

Greg,
I would tend to agree with you about the A&F boat being the same as the nyc show boat even in 65 the city was tough to navigate. It would make sense if your in the hood why not it is only a few blocks away.
Things you have to take into consideration on that pic would be getting a color pic from the mid 60's digitized then reprinted of a yellow and brown boat , that was displayed in a window on 5th ave. I bet you would need to wear sunblock sitting under those ozone layer eating, global warming spot lights used back then.
yellow and brown would be an very uncommon combo. mostly yellow was combined with black,grumble green,white,or orange. My thought would be that maybe the color or tint of the boat is off a little due to the the age of the pic or the lighting it was under?? If not yes it would be a very uncommon color combo

However I don't agree with your numbers of yellow 16 not as many as the other colors but surely not 5 total more like 5 per year maybe.
it would be hard to find a boat today that had original yellow gel that didn't have some fading due to the ravages of the elements of nature and time.
now can I ask is the outboard going to be done in yellow????

RPD
12-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Perhapps Scott was trying to copy the real original yellow gell used on the period 18 & Hornet like my "BenchSeat" 18 project has ! ; )

Since the boat will sit in the salt water for prolonged times I don't want to paint the hull with Imron Allgrip etc.

Silverghost .... why? what are you referring to? Awlgrip was made for the marine environment, it lasted 15 years on my sailboat in saltwater and sun, and was really OK. I only redid it (again with Awlgrip) after hurricane Ivan prompted other work that would work better by repainting. Were you referring to below the waterline? In which case antifouling paint is the only way to go. Use ablative if the boat will also be pulled out on a trailer on occasion.

PS: I've never heard of anyone leaving a Donzi in the water.... to maintain performance it needs a trailer or lift.

Greg Guimond
12-25-2009, 11:01 AM
My Christmas Day gift to all of you .........and I quote

Sweet Little 16By: Peter Bohr | Saturday, March 01, 1997 This article first appeared in the March 1997 issue of SEA Magazine. All or parts of the information contained in this article might be outdated.

"After a cameo appearance in the Fifth Avenue window of elite sporting goods seller Abercrombie and Fitch, as well as a presentation at the 1965 New York Boat Show, acclamations and orders poured in -- including ones from President Lyndon Johnson (he used it on the lake at his Texas ranch) and from the Israeli armed forces (several boats saw action in the 1967 Arab-Israeli War)."

silverghost
12-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes~ I must let my boats sit in the water all summer long. I do not have any lifts; just a 10'X27' floating dock.
I use Micron CSC ablative bottom paint on my other boat.
I know most speed/performance boat guys cringe at the thought of a painted bottom. But~ It is a necessary fact of life for the way I use and store my boats for five months in the summer.
The Donzi 18 while sitting at rest in the water will have the lower aft sides & lower transom sitting in the water becuase of aft engine/drive weight.. If I painted the hull sides with Imron/ Awlgrip etc I don't think that this paint would hold-up under water.
Auto style paint would not fair well at all also.
None of these paints hold up well under water. it would blister & flake off.
Imron & Awlgrip is a great paint system; but not for continous imersion in water.
As far as keeping it on a trailer and launching for each use. That's just not how I use my boats
I never know when I will just want to jump-in the boat and take it for a spin.
I have been doing this for 40 years .

RPD
12-25-2009, 12:53 PM
maybe an epoxy barrier coat below the waterline with the antifouling paint over it .... I just didn't understand why awlgrip wouldn't work in your situation, of course, I've never had it below the waterline...

PS: have you checked out the inflatable lifts?

Greg Guimond
12-25-2009, 01:47 PM
Silverghost,

Is your Bench 18 "all" yellow? Is the cockpit, deck, and hull sides all the same yellow gelcoat or is it just yellow on the hull sides?

Matty,

I am having a hard tome believing that (5) hulls in the 16 family were made per year in yellow. Just seems to be a huge number seeing as no one seems to have a current picture regardless of propulsion.

All,

Is this the yellow that would have been used on the 16's that no one has current photos of or os this specific to the 18 only -- "Mini Craft-Piranha Kote Yellow. Its Gelcoat"

silverghost
12-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes- The "benchseat 18" is all yellow; the bottom, hull sides,Interior cockpt & deck~everything..
There is a black boot-stripe, and black wide deck racing stripe down the center with a 3/8" red stripe on the outside of the black racing stripe.
The gell on the hull sides & bottom is in very good condition; but somewhat faded & oxidized.
The deck is another story as the elements have really beat the life out of it's gell after sitting outside for 20+ years uncovered. The deck needs re-coring, and fairing along with new gell or some sort of new paint finish.

If I may ask~
Why do you have so much interest in the color yellow on a Donzi 16 or 18 ?
Being a so-called "rare" color does not necessarily make the Donzi any more valuable in my view.
In fact a color may be a rare color because few folks liked it & ordered it.
If you look at the existing boats from the early 60s-70s Red seems to win hands-down as the all time popular color. Some use the term "Resale Red" in automotive terms.
I think the thing everyone should do is to choose a hull color that they like!
I saw a Donzi 16 that was painted medium-brown this summer.
I did not really care for the color; but I bet that it's owner does.
My uncle painted his old Centuy Arabian V-drive with a mix of white & red Imron what can best be described as medium pink !
It's sure a "Rare" boat color now.
But who would want it?
Not Me !
Now if you are restoring a Donzi for resale it would be best to consider the most popular color to make a quick sale at the highest price.

Here are some photos of the as-found faded yellow "Benchseat 18"

silverghost
12-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Greg: I . and i'm sure others here on this site, would like to see some photos of this "Rare Yellow" Baby 16 outboard.
Does it belong to you ?
OR
Are you thinking of buying it ?
What shape is it in now?
Interior ?
Any OB motor ?
Post some digital photos if at all possible?

joseph m. hahnl
12-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Come to think of it:idea:
There was a Yellow Corsican 18 for sale at a marina in Newport Beach, California . That was 10 tears ago but I do remember:drool: over it.
If my memory serves me correctly it was a darker yellow than pictures posted.

Well what do you know !

This could be the boat!!!!!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell595.jpg

mattyboy
12-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Come to think of it:idea:
There was a Yellow Corsican 18 for sale at a marina in Newport Beach, California . That was 10 tears ago but I do remember:drool: over it.
If my memory serves me correctly it was a darker yellow than pictures posted.

Well what do you know !

This could be the boat!!!!!!

http://www.donzi.net/photos/osaffell595.jpg

no need to cry Joe :yes:

I am lost here

yellow rare??? different color yellow used on 16 than the 18 or 19??

pictures are needed from "current" owners of yellow 16 let's see a pic of the hull that prompted this thread first

Greg Guimond
12-25-2009, 10:28 PM
This is like the GPS speed thread, all we are looking for is a pre 1980 16 (propulsion does not matter) that is yellow. Matty thinks they are prevalent, I think there are less then 5 ever produced. Everyone knows that you ALWAYS loose money on boats, so that issue means nothing to me. I am like everyone else, willing to loose money to have fun.

I want to buy a yellow 16 .........show me current photos. My opinion, and I am sure that opinions will be posted, is that yellow 16's do not exist, that there were less than 5 ever built, just like 16's that break 80 on GPS in 2009.

Merry Christmas to all.

silverghost
12-25-2009, 10:51 PM
I don't know about existing "Rare Yellow" 16s

But I'd bet if you found a 16 that you like it's a good chance that Scott Pearson has 5-10 gallons of his "EXTRA SPECIAL BENCHSEAT HORNET YELLOW" gell left over from his fantastic Benchseat Hornet restoration that he could spray on your new/old 16 ! SCOTT likes yellow too...Like you & I !

mattyboy
12-25-2009, 11:34 PM
This is like the GPS speed thread, all we are looking for is a pre 1980 16 (propulsion does not matter) that is yellow. Matty thinks they are prevalent, I think there are less then 5 ever produced. Everyone knows that you ALWAYS loose money on boats, so that issue means nothing to me. I am like everyone else, willing to loose money to have fun.

I want to buy a yellow 16 .........show me current photos. My opinion, and I am sure that opinions will be posted, is that yellow 16's do not exist, that there were less than 5 ever built, just like 16's that break 80 on GPS in 2009.

Merry Christmas to all.

who is we????

sounds like some one is phishing here

Greg ,
you put to much credance in this forum being the center or end all of the donzi world. there are other donzi owners out there that are not here.

I can seem to recall Mark Ali having a very nice yellow 16, the texas yellow 40 k 16, but they don't exist by your standard as their owners are not here.I would guess that my old 16 doesn't exist too by your standards as the owner is not here.

i remember

the yellow 16 that was for sale out in western NJ for the longest time that when sold fell off the trailer.

the yellow 16 in central nj that was sold as a project unpowered some 6 months ago.

the member here in western north jersey who is restoring a late 60's 16 that one is yellow came from the MD area

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56071

yellow not as common as red but definetly more than 5 ever
:yes:

mattyboy
12-25-2009, 11:57 PM
umm Parnell's 16 was yellow before it was redone

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 12:11 AM
here's the boat that fell off the trailer
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://evf.salvagedirect.com/php/gallerythumbnail.php%3Fitem_id%3D209941%26imagenam e%3Dmvc-002.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/viewitem.asp%3Fitemid%3D689534&usg=__xodjaD0Mn2JvEnF4rcIsGm_yjK0=&h=120&w=129&sz=5&hl=en&start=22&sig2=QMo7kiL5CzpVSC9nQJioAg&um=1&tbnid=WstxKDfVyg3XOM:&tbnh=85&tbnw=91&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddonzi%2Bsweet%2B16%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3 Den%26rlz%3D1R2ACGW_en%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um% 3D1&ei=Eag1S8wjxdLxBrDgqYwH

here is a yellow one original yellow gel but was repainted so does it exist as a yellow 16??? I believe this boat to be Mark Ali's

http://berkshirewoodenboat.net/donzi_sweet_16.htm

don't forget this v drive 16 in the model list

http://www.donzi.net/photos/16FLAVORS.jpg

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 12:37 AM
so let's recap

Parnell's

the guy with the red donzi's

the one that fell off the trailer

the A&F boat

the yellow v drive

mark ali's

the two in lake george

the 40 k yellow one in texas that was for sale on the site a few years back

that's 9 and there are more

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 06:57 AM
If Sweet Cheekz has any pictures of his 16 Classic prior to that incredible restoration he did showing the hull in it's original Birthday suit yellow that would certainly be cool to see. Not sure if the 16's OEM yellow would have been similiar to the Mini Craft Piranha Kote Yellow gel color but one thing I am sure of is that his 16 will be the first current 16 to break 80 on GPS in 2010! Silverghost, I do not own a yellow 16, but if I find one I will be happy to post it as it would be ultra rare. I certainly have been looking hard. Also, thanks for the offer of a color match code off your 18 project once you bring out the fine grit and compound!

BUIZILLA
12-26-2009, 07:26 AM
Not sure if the 16's OEM yellow would have been similiar to the Mini Craft Piranha Kote Yellow gel color after 45 years of color aging does it really matter? and I seriously doubt from batch to batch, and year to year, it was an exact science... there were more out there than you think, and you'll die first before you find 5% of them these days... just buy one and paint it, it's going to require a full dissection anyways, so what difference does it make? your killing yourself over nothing.. just ask the 40k guy if it made a difference if the color was original.. after seeing what paint can accomplish these days, I (personally) would never ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, re-gel a hull again :nilly: :bonk:

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 07:33 AM
well said Jim :yes:

Jim
do you think I made a mistake with the benchseat?? should I have went with yellow 16 ????? ;) :)

and just for the record a color matching was done on the yellow hornet plus numerous calls,
that is the yellow donzi was supplied with in 1968 . No expense has been spared on that project . the owner wanted it to look like it just left the show room cosmetically original.. the boats power was updated to merc for ease of use and service.
a custom extended dash plate was made to look like the original but have the added gauges for the merc. besides those two items it has everything else original.

that color yellow is as close to what left the factory as humanly possible.Plus she isn't finished, I don't have to explain Pearson to anyone here. He was wiping of dust before I took alot of those pictures. When that baby rolls out of his garage for delivery to it's owner YOU"LL SEE WHAT YELLOW LOOKS LIKE :)

silver the hornet looked the same color as yours before it was re done just what the elements do to it, you'll have to make up your mind on gel paint. look at the links i posted one project is paint PPG i think.
good luck with the project :)

BUIZILLA
12-26-2009, 07:45 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52839&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1261535889 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=52839&d=1261535889)

also, you stated before that this foil said *Patent Pending*..

which it doesn't..

it clearly shows a Patent #, so nothing is *pending*

except, of course, the correct color.. :lookaroun:

jl1962
12-26-2009, 07:55 AM
There are at least 3 old yellow 16s on Lake George. Performance has two and there is one '69 up in Heart Bay near Kirby.

Not piling on here - but I don't believe yellow was all that unusual.

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 08:01 AM
I forgot about that one.

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 08:29 AM
silver,

this is what the hornet looked like before

http://www.lgdonziclassic.com/gallery/v/album15/Donzi_Stbd_Corner_A.jpg.html

silverghost
12-26-2009, 10:59 AM
I once had a converation with a large well-known local NJ boatbuilder about gel fade.
The builder had experimented with various supplier samples of gel to find which tended to fade-out less and last the longest.
They set-up an outside test stand with a dozen or so sample squares set on a rack facing noon day sun at a 45* angle. They kept a second test sample of each gel hidden inside in the dark.
He stated that the type of pigment material elements organic, mineral, chemical etc had a great deal to do with a gel's fade & photochemcal reactive properties.
There seemed to be a wide range in the gel's ability to resist fade, oxidation etc. The variou colors themselves within a specific gel supplier brand had a wide range of fade from color to color.

Jim & matty are correct that after 40-45 years all Donzi gels have faded.
The Pearson Benchseat Hornet restoration "before" photos on the Hornet restoration site appear to have faded more than my 18 project that sat outside ucovered for at least 25+ years.
On my yellow "Bnchseat 18" project you sure can see this fade where the gel was covered buy the gauge panel and other fittings. I can also see more fade on the hull bottom & aft sides where it sat in the water all summer long for years.
The old surviving Donzi gels I see today look nothing like the old Donzi catalog photos. We also don't know how accurate those catalog colors really were?
Boats that were stored inside have had the least fade possible.
To sum it up I really doubt that any 40-45 y/o Donzi gel today looks exactly like it did when it first left the Donzi factory. They have all faded to some extent or another.
I am sure that if anyone has come closest to the original yellow gel color it is Scott Pearson on his super Donzi Benchseat Hornet restoration as Matty has stated.
Like Jim has told you ~
Find the yellow Donzi 16 you like or find a nice one and have it painted or re-gelled !
If I were you I would buy the best old Donzi that you can find & afford. You will save lots of restoration money and time as these older Donzi's seem to be a bargin in today's soft used boat market.
The only reasons I bought a basket-case restoration project myself, and not a much better boat is because it was such an unusual project benchseat 18. I knew I had never seen another.
I also knew going-in, after 40+ years of boating, that it would be a black-hole that sucked-it lots of cash & restoration time.
I also wanted a complete restoration project as a hobby.
But - After it's finally finished ~
I also knew I would be the only kid on my block, or in the country for that matter, to own a Donzi "Benchseat 18".
From the first day I saw it sitting in the boatyard I could not get it out of my mind !
You however have many more choices than I on your dream of owning a yellow Donzi 16
Good Luck !
I hope you find the yellow Donzi of your dreams !

Just Say N20
12-26-2009, 11:44 AM
My 16, C16-409, was "yellow" originally, although the color was Inca Gold.

There are small areas of it on the top of the hull, under the shoe box joint (picture 1). The boat was painted with the deck on the hull. This color was protected for the boats whole life, so there hasn't been much fade.

I believe this picture (provided by Marshall May; MDonziM, who owned the boat when it was repainted) are from before the repaint job, as the boat still had the vent on the transom.

silverghost
12-26-2009, 01:33 PM
WOW !!!
Great old In-The-Day photo~
Look at how young he is ~
He was one luckey kid !

Now YOU are a luckey Kid too !
Think of how much fun & enjoyment that his Donzi has given many people over it's life span ?

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Just Say N20,
That is a cool photo........

Just Say N20
12-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Just Say N20,
That is a cool photo........

The thanks go to MDonziM, as he forwarded the photo to me, so I would have some of the boat's history.

joseph m. hahnl
12-26-2009, 08:28 PM

Merry Christmas to all.

It is hard enough to find a 16 period for sale,let a lone one of a specific color. I don't believe that a yellow 16 is rare at all. I think it is rare a yellow 16 comes up for sale.
The thing about buying a specific color classic is you maybe waiting a while until one comes up for sale. I personally will be holding on to my classic for many yrs. I think that you'll find that with many other donzi owners.

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 09:10 PM
joseph m. hahnl,

Having spent the needed time with the elders it is now clear that 16 Classics in yellow, regardless of propulsion are, tongue in cheek -

A. .....Not ultra rare (unlike a factory 16 Eggbeater in Yellow)
B. .....Not even rare (there are at least a dozen "out there")
C. .....Are not for sale, anywhere, in original "faded" yellow gel

Also that Mini Craft Piranha Kote Yellow gel might be the closest match to what a pre 1980 16 would have worn for yellow out of the mold given it was a 1968 color. Still a little unclear if the 16's might have been full yellow - decks, hull sides, and hull..... or a mix. Half the fun is the hunt, at least for me if not others :bonk:

mattyboy
12-26-2009, 11:06 PM
Having spent the needed time with the elders

luUUUUUUUuke your training is not complete.

mattyboy
12-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Greg,

as with any color combo they did a various schemes in yellow

all yellow with no stripes or with a color stripe like black,green or white with matching interior.

they also did all yellow hull with a white deck and yellow stripe
and a white hull yellow sides white deck yellow stripes. I would be confident that in a two tone hull, white bottom and colored sides they always used a white deck. ( except for the corsican they had their own color schemes)

by far in any form 16,18,22 green or black is a more uncommon color than yellow, but the still made a fair amount of them in those colors. my 16 was originally grumble green.

there is a current owner on lake george who has an OB baby it's all white with yellow stripes and interior. she comes to our fall picnic , I have pics of it somewhere.

i would put the color used on classics in this order with all shades included like light blue and dark blue or bright yellow or dark inca gold

1 red
2 blue
3 yellow
4 orange 70's color
5 black
6 teal late 80's early
7 green

and with hulls

1. white
2 honey

gcarter
12-27-2009, 10:20 AM
And I would venture to guess that in the '80's, Navy Blue, rather than red was more popular.

mattyboy
12-27-2009, 10:25 AM
And I would venture to guess that in the '80's, Navy Blue, rather than red was more popular.

yes colors like fashion have fads, orange went away in the 80's ,teal came about in the 80's , green went away in the 70's.

I would still say red is the most seen color in the 45 years or so that classics have been around

BUIZILLA
12-27-2009, 10:42 AM
red is for people who are color blind...

:lookaroun:

silverghost
12-27-2009, 10:56 AM
NO~
Red boats are for folks who are not afraid to stand out among the croud !
I have a Fire Engine Red Speedboat~
Everyone in Ocean City NJ knows the "guys in that red speedboat" !

Red boats are also for folks who like to compound their gel constantly !

Carl C
12-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Red is for cars; Yellow for boats. :wink:

Ed Donnelly
12-27-2009, 11:45 AM
My red 85 has never been compounded.
And on more than 1 occasion it has been left in the water for more than 3 nights in a row.. It was parked on my driveway all winter 1 year.

Just simple precautions must be used:shades: ...Ed

Carl; Go to work

gcarter
12-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Red is for ITALIAN cars; Yellow for boats. :wink:

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 12:10 PM
Ok you old warlords, on 01-08-2007, 08:59 PM olredalert posted

........and I quote

"I was a dealer back in the early 70s and ordered two 16 eggbeaters. To my knowledge they were only available in white with either blue, red, or yellow trim. I may be forgetting one other. Interiors were all white. Now, its possible that special orders could have been made but John C told me at the time that they were trying to keep special orders down on the eggbeaters as options on them were a pain in the butt to implement..........Bill S"

Having come full circle, passing thru the woodshed for a brief stay, this now verifies that of the pre 1980 16 Classics, a 16 Eggbeater in full yellow would have been a special order piece and most likely 1 of 1 :eek:

silverghost
12-27-2009, 12:28 PM
George:
Along with my Red Speedboat~
I've got the yellow boat thing covered too~
With my new Donzi "Benchseat18 " project !

It has been suggested that it be named the "Yellow-Jacket" since it is yellow with black stripes;
A follow-on tribute to the famous Donzi Benchseat Hornet.

mattyboy
12-27-2009, 12:57 PM
Silver

I always thought the name rumble bee would would be great on a boat that color. I tried to get my friend Kenny to name his boat that
his is just the opposite of yours
his boat sounds the part :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xGJ2lV17UQ

Greg,

yes at an MSRP of $2495 any increased production cost would cut into the bottom line.

yes a solid or two tone hull would be very uncommon on a baby. The 1972 price sheet shows that the two tone hull was not available.(note the 455 olds jet wasn't available in the 16 either.)
http://www.donzi.net/cat/cat72/pix/prices72.gif

but again coming full circle the hull that started this thread didn't leave the factory with yellow on it. it probably looked a lot like this one
http://www.donzi.net/cat/cat70/pix/16OB&IO.jpg

RPD
12-27-2009, 01:37 PM
And in response to your quote above ... notice the one (OB) from the brochure has a blue interior and mine had a red interior (which I changed to white with red piping because after it sat in the sun briefly, you couldn't sit back down!).

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 06:36 PM
And I quote .........

"I have an original '66 sheet from Donzi that came with my '66-18'. On the cover is a pic of a yellow 18' with black stripes and interior. I would think since it is white underneath and black on top that it was once originally an all white stripe. My own personal taste would be to go with white deck and boot stripes and white int. I also have a color chart from '66. It says "Colors and Fiberglass by FERRO" The yellow color is called "Yuma Yellow" #VF973I"

Maybe this 1976 16 Classic IO, shown with original and well maintained gel, is a "Yuma Yellow" original ten years later.

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Or maybe this 1969 16 IO, shown restored is the historically correct yellow ........

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 06:53 PM
But one thing is for sure,

.....if you had a pre-1980 16,
.....that was 1 of the 170 eggbeaters,
.....that had been special ordered with factory arm twisting,
.....and an upcharge of $100 paid for yellow

You would have an ultra rare 16C :cool:

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 07:15 PM
And then if you rigged that ultra rare eggbeater with the right power, and dialed it in to break 80 on GPS, you could call it Killer Bee and play with the big guns in the 16 bracket in 2010.

Greg Guimond
12-27-2009, 07:27 PM
Good luck to all in 2010. Hopefully it will be a better year for America!

mike o
12-28-2009, 08:32 AM
so let's recap

Parnell's

the guy with the red donzi's

the one that fell off the trailer

the A&F boat

the yellow v drive

mark ali's

the two in lake george

the 40 k yellow one in texas that was for sale on the site a few years back

that's 9 and there are moreThere's a yellow one from the Portland Me area that was completely restored over here by Tom at Unique boat restoration's, that I saw a couple of yrs ago. The original rebuilt 289 was back in it. Ready to be picked up by the owner. The boat looked absoluetly brand new.........:yes: So they are some more out there:kingme:

mattyboy
12-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Mike
yes they are out there. :)

I think we found out that Greg was really talking about yellow babies. I don't really think that a color combo automatically makes a boat rare or more valuable. It does make it uncommon and unlike any other boat. It might make it more valuable to a person who likes the color and make it less valuable to someone who doesn't like the color. I would reserve the term ultra rare for the likes of the OB 18, the rounded keel barrelback, the criterion SS. Those are truely one of a kind boats .

Kirbyvv
12-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Linda Lewis has an original yellow baby 16. She brought it to the Lake George Picnic a few years ago (the last one on the island). Ask Cliff as he and Di were trying to find the hull number. No luck. she keeps it on Brant Lake, near Lake George and may bring it to the Dust-Off one of these years.

joseph m. hahnl
01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
Greg ...

Where did you get that quote? (and I'm sure the error in it will be noticed by someone here!)

:wink::yes::eek::boggled::kingme:

http://www.thelog.com/BoatTests/theBoatTest.aspx?x=66

seano
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
how many blue hull/blue deck '69 16 ski sporters do you think are out there...i've only seen mine and one other.

i say mine is the rarest of them all... :popcorn:

Greg Guimond
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Full blue through and through ............post up the pics there seano :yes:

seano
01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
it would only derail the yaller thread...but u can see it here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38255