PDA

View Full Version : Every now and again....

Phil S
12-21-2009, 11:14 PM
...the stars line up perfectly, and all is right in the world....
.....we can all sleep peacefully now...that....
UK WON IT'S 2000th GAME
I'm just sayin'...:cool:
Go Big Blue !
...and we still don't like Laettner very much....:shark:

Phil S
12-21-2009, 11:20 PM
....why, oh why...did it have to be "Christian" ?

ps...we still don't like you all that much..!:)

zelatore
12-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Go Big Blue !

I'm sorry, I didn't quite hear you there. What was that?

Did you say "Go IU"? :wink:

(I did mention I was originally from Indiana, right?)

Phil S
12-21-2009, 11:46 PM
...my Indiana Friend...

That was a heck of a 1st half ya'll put up last week...reminded me (too much) of Mr. Knight's days of kickin' our butt...

:)

Cuda
12-22-2009, 12:00 PM
My cousin in Ohio absolutely hated Kentucky. He said the ref's names were Jeff B Hall, and George B Hall. :)

I talked to him the other day. He said it was 20 degrees and snowing. He had to come home because he doesn't have any windsheild wipers. :)

Right after that I talked to my aunt. She pointed out that she told him they would be easier to fix while it was 80 outside. My mom called him the Arkansas traveler.

Tony
12-22-2009, 11:27 PM
I like the University of Kentucky - my niece was a scholarship volleyball player there, and they obviously have a storied basketball tradition.

With that said, however, and considering Calipari's past record...how long do you think it will be before UK is sanctioned by the NCAA and has to vacate a few seasons worth of victories?

John Calipari makes Jerry Tarkanian look like a saint.

Bobby Knight (no saint himself, imho, but at least he ran a clean program) had this to say recently; http://bleacherreport.com/articles/311235-kudos-to-bob-knight-for-slamming-calipari-and-the-ncaa (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/311235-kudos-to-bob-knight-for-slamming-calipari-and-the-ncaa)

Two of Calipari's teams show up on this infamous list;
"Seven of the Dirtiest Teams in College Basketball History".

http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/college-basketball-history-2009#ixzz0aUCdygOy

Anyway, I'm just saying it's too bad such an great achievement had to be tarnished by the sordid reputation of the current coach.

:beer:

Ghost
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
Among the big winning teams in college football and basketball (aka: where the money is) I wonder how many of the big winners are really what would be considered clean programs. Michigan (my alma mater) certainly has been a mess at times, if not continuously. The latter would not surprise me.

The stuff that makes the papers represents what, half of the dirt?

A third?

One tenth?

Even less?

Might make an interesting poll.

I suppose in some ways, it shouldn't really matter if they get paid directly, so long as the NCAA is going to be THE place to play before the pros. If the NCAA were not just about money, it would drop the link to colleges. But that's where so much of the money is--because of the artificial link between those athletes and the rest of the students.

The part that is saddest, and will never be right, is the lack of comparable academic standards for athletes almost everywhere. Of course, college academic standards are almost universally a joke anyway, so, it's a funny matter of degrees to criticize the athletes. They at least have some real merit of their own, even if not academic. Most of the students have NO reason to be there.

Cuda
12-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Calipari is a carpet bagger. It's gotta hurt those kids to lose the banners, but by then, Calipari has moved on to the next paycheck.

I would point to Joe Paterno for running a clean, winning team.

Tony
12-23-2009, 02:16 PM
The NCAA is a poster child for double standards, as indicated here;

http://sportsbybrooks.com/surprise-bcs-teams-face-lighter-ncaa-sanctions-26195

Yes, Joe Pa at Penn St. is definitely credible, as I believe Bo Schembechler at U-M was. Red Berenson (hockey) at U-M is another high-quality guy. The basketball program in Ann Arbor, though, has been a mess for decades - with the Chris Weber and Ed Martin era the ugliest.

:beer:

Ghost
12-23-2009, 02:39 PM
On reflection, I suppose basketball is particularly susceptible in that there are so few players on a team (and thus, so few players overall relative to football) that both the temptation and the math become pretty seductive. There's just so much revenue to be had that it is a naturally-occurring black market, like any other prohibition that has demand.

Phil S
01-04-2010, 11:03 PM
to run up the score on our former coach....and it was sloppy-ball, at best.....but,
W'Ell TAKE IT !!
WOO-HOO !!
By the way, if Cousins slung one, and got away with it...it was because.....
...we still don't like Laettner very much....not that we're even or anything like that...:lookaroun:
Go Big Blue ! :wink: