PDA

View Full Version : Swim Platform Carpet?

VetteLT193
12-21-2009, 01:27 PM
I had previously asked about Sea Dek for the swim platform... I stumbled upon a carpet web site today and I have a new idea. This company, Custom Marine Carpets. http://www.snapincarpet.com/

They make swim platform carpet. Seems fine to me, even though it will get soaking wet I can take it off the boat every time and let it dry. It will have all of the grip I'll ever need too. Plus, the one thing that bothers me about my color combo is Donzi picked gray carpet but the boat is Tan/Dark Red/Yellow. So I'm thinking I could get a whole new set of carpet matching the platform.

Price is roughly $800-900 for the whole set including platform, cockpit, bow area, and cabin mat.

So... what is your opinion on swim platform carpet?

Bamboo Loui
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM
I think it is a great idea- before you hang it to let it dry you can power wash off sand or anything else you pick up. Dry it- store it - should last a long time.:yes:

The Hedgehog
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
I would be worried about picking up some transom soot around the back edge.

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 06:54 AM
I would be worried about picking up some transom soot around the back edge.

That is a good point. I guess I should go for a darker color. I'm also hoping it is small enough rolled up so that it can be stored during long runs.

CHACHI
12-22-2009, 08:45 AM
I wouldn't leave it on under way.

My 2 cents.

Ken

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
I wouldn't leave it on under way.

My 2 cents.

Ken

I'd kill myself installing it from the boat if I leave it off and try to put it on at the sandbar. There are already enough things to do when I get there like inflate 50 blow up things for the kids.

If there is a good reason besides the soot issue I'm all ears. My transom stays pretty clean so I'm not overly concerned with soot. The 6.2 MPI's seem to run really clean... probably the cleanest transom of any boat I've ever run now that I think about it.

rtgogo
12-22-2009, 06:20 PM
I assume you'd have to add snaps around the swim platform which would turn me off to the idea. I like your thought on adding some comfort and grip, but adding carpet to the section of your boat getting the most water during use doesn't seem like it would end up getting you the anticipated results. May just end up being really soggy carpet you have to dry after each use....I liked your sea dek idea better. Just my opinion, got me thinkin what I can do to mine.... Is the carpet a lot cheaper than the sea dek option?

VetteLT193
12-23-2009, 09:22 AM
I assume you'd have to add snaps around the swim platform which would turn me off to the idea. I like your thought on adding some comfort and grip, but adding carpet to the section of your boat getting the most water during use doesn't seem like it would end up getting you the anticipated results. May just end up being really soggy carpet you have to dry after each use....I liked your sea dek idea better. Just my opinion, got me thinkin what I can do to mine.... Is the carpet a lot cheaper than the sea dek option?

Carpet Vs. Sea dek are nearly identical in price. In reality, the carpet would cost me more because I'd probably do the whole boat Vs. just the platform.

the main thing I don't like about Sea Dek is it is installed on the boat. In my part of the world there are a couple times a year where the weather is just really odd and it is nearly impossible to stop mold from starting someplace.

There are 2 spots on the boat that I have a slow drain year-round and one of them is the area on the right side of the engine hatch in the back by the platform. That area was literally green when I got into the boat last time... I can't imagine having to clean that off of sea Dek. I figure with carpet it would be pretty simple to just remove the piece and let it dry off the boat and it won't get moldy.

As for snaps... I am hoping I can use the cockpit cover snaps for the rear. I would have to add probably 4 snaps to keep the tail end secure