PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion 350/383

silverghost
12-20-2009, 11:36 PM
Trying to decide on a power & drive for my "Benchseat 18" project.
I am looking at 350 & 383 Mercruiser Scorpion engines
What do you guys think of these ?
They are marketed for Ski-boats.
Would they be the NEW out of the crate complete engine choice for my Donzi "Benchseat" 18 ?
383 or one of the lower HP 350s ?
What outdrive would you couple to this engine package?
Bravo, alpha or should I keep & fix-up the old Volvo 270 ?
The old Volvo needs some work!
Powe Trim would be nice.
Who has the best prices on new Mercruiser engines & drives?
OR should I just stick with a good old carb based engine ?
All ideas welcome!

VetteLT193
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
if you have an unlimited budget the 383 scorpion (400 HP) is nice.

I think the best value is the 383 Mag @ 350 HP. I think it's about 4k cheaper. I know it can be had for $7-ish k which is a decent price. The 383/400 does come with CMI's, so if you want the bling or want aftermarket exhaust it's cheaper just to get the 400 and call it a day.

The one thing to note is these engines are REMAN not new. Mercruiser marketing is pretty slick so it is hard to tell that.

Last Tango
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
Vette,
Do you think Mercruiser would be interested in offering a "core charge" buydown to take my bone stock '06 350 Mag MPI (160hours) in trade? Who would I contact?

VetteLT193
12-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Vette,
Do you think Mercruiser would be interested in offering a "core charge" buydown to take my bone stock '06 350 Mag MPI (160hours) in trade? Who would I contact?

I'm not sure. I have wondered the exact same thing thinking I could get some dough back... but when I checked it looks like they only charge a core on the big blocks and a few odds and ends. My only guess is that small block cores are cheap and easy to find for them. The rest of the engine for Merc is new so I doubt they care about your Merc MPI system, etc.

silverghost
12-21-2009, 12:44 PM
I am a bit confused here~
Are all Mercury Small Block & Big Block Chevy based engines now remanufactured block based?
How about heads & cranks + rods?
OR~
Only specific models like the 383 & 350 ?
How long has Merc been using remanufactured blocks ?
Are these remanufactured old marine engine cores~ or Truck & Auto cores?

I really wanted a 100% NEW block !
In fact~ A 100% NEW engine!
If I wanted to go the remanufactured route, as I have done before many times, I would find my own engine core and do a build-up myself.
Using my local machine shop.
At least I would be able to do the qualiy control myself & buy high-quality USA-built internal rotating parts !

donzi182003
12-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Ghost,

I repowered my 18' with a BRAND NEW 350 MPI last year. I wanted the Scorpion real bad but it was a reman block with only 1 year of warranty. I paid a bit more for my motor but with the purchase of a brand new merc unit, i was able to buy an additional 6 years of product protection which put me at a 7 year bumper to bumper warranty. You cannot buy an extended for the reman motors.

VetteLT193
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I am a bit confused here~
Are all Mercury Small Block & Big Block Chevy based engines now remanufactured block based?
How about heads & cranks + rods?
OR~
Only specific models like the 383 & 350 ?
How long has Merc been using remanufactured blocks ?
Are these remanufactured old marine engine cores~ or Truck & Auto cores?

I really wanted a 100% NEW block !
In fact~ A 100% NEW engine!
If I wanted to go the remanufactured route, as I have done before many times, I would find my own engine core and do a build-up myself.
Using my local machine shop.
At least I would be able to do the qualiy control myself & buy high-quality USA-built internal rotating parts !

There are 2 different setups. You can get a 377/340 HP NEW from the Mercruiser towsports area. The ones that you are more likely to see including the 383 scorpion, designed for a Bravo, are the reman ones. The reman engines have flames on the decorative cover. The TS ones are gray with some Merc racing blue splashed in. Of course, all of the regular black engines can be had NEW with sterndrives. like the 377/320HP, 350 Mag, etc.

The 383/400, 383/350, and the 357 Mag all have reman blocks. This is why the numbers on the reman engines are always punched (bored .030 over 357/383) and the stock NEW engines might be stroked but are not bored (350, 377)

Also... I just checked the merc website again and they do take trade ins if you want to up your power. here is the phone # to call: 920-236-2980

As far as them being reman engines, they are tested and screpped if they are no good. With the scorp engines just about everything has to be new because of the engine specs. forged crank, 1.6 rockers, aggressive cam, etc.

silverghost
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Who has got the best prices on any of these complete marine engines?
Any good Merc dealers around Eastern PA, or NJ give any discounts off of Merc list price?
All I keep seeing on the web are Mfg. Suggested list, prices.

Glad you set me straight with the Remanufacturing issue.
OK~ as long as these are not rusted-out from former salt water use, especially heads and intake manifold water cross-overs !
Un-detected cracks are another concern .

Anyone thinking of up-grading their current Merc engine set-up.
I am looking to buy a complete SB Chevy marine engine !
I will consider all offered engines!

MOP
12-21-2009, 06:39 PM
There some much better bangs for your buck the a Merc package, do some shopping you can get real good deals. To me a warranty is not that important. If an engine makes it past the first season and you take care it there is no reason it won't run a long time, a one year should be all anyone needs. Yes Merc will replace engines but I am willing to bet with a reman that someone else had a problem with.

Phil

BUIZILLA
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM
i'm not convinced these are really total remans, I mean, come on, how many 377's could possible have been returned worn out, or for warranty work?

silverghost
12-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Did Forrest ever sell his 383 that was listed in this sites For Sale section?
It was still for sale a month ago;
If he still has it~
~ I am interested !
Might be just what I am looking for !
I have sent him a PM via this site.

MOP
12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
I think you will love a 383 it just seems to do everything right, mine is 3 years old now I am still more then pleased with what I built!

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 07:01 AM
i'm not convinced these are really total remans, I mean, come on, how many 377's could possible have been returned worn out, or for warranty work?

That is true.

Even the standard 6.2 MPI has a forged crank so the whole bottom end could be re-used.

I wonder what the return ratio and/or numbers are on these engines.

MOP
12-22-2009, 08:07 AM
I should have said possible reman, but honestly I do not trust Mercury marine I have friends of many years that are Merc dealers I have heard enough from them.

Last Tango
12-22-2009, 08:32 AM
The discussion of the Reman 377 Scorp motors goes back a few year on this board to when the Scorpion motors were no longer offered new from Merc. The Reman was to take the large number of unsold Scorpion motors that were in inventory and rebuild them to a different spec. Most, if not all, were brand new motors.

There has never been any discussion on this board about any problems with Scorpion motors that would have lead to a massive recall or replacement of the motors.

It may be as simple as having way too many Scorpion motors built initially vs actual consumer demand.

I am always amazed that only a half-dozen Classic 18's were ever ordered new with the Scorpion package, particularly in this hotrod boater group. In 2001, I custom ordered a brand new Classic 18 and agonized for weeks before making the order over the choice between an MX6.2 MPI or the 377 Scorpion. In the end, I ordered the MX6.2 MPI. I could have afforded the Scorp but there just seemed to be something "safer" about the MX6.2 MPI. And only 30 HP difference at the prop. I saved $6,000, and the MX did not require premium gas like the Scorpion.
An aquaintance of mine ordered a new 2001 28ZX with dual Scorpions package, but was always having "issues" because he did not trailer it, and premium gas was almost impossible to find at pumps on the water around here. And, as has been discussed to death on this board, aftermarket octane boosters don't.

mike o
12-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Did Forrest ever sell his 383 that was listed in this sites For Sale section?
It was still for sale a month ago;
If he still has it~
~ I am interested !
Might be just what I am looking for !
I have sent him a PM via this site.Well, if Forrests not available, donzi weazel bought one of these http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=47 and was very happy with it. The fella that sells the Merc engines on ebay name is Tim Dorr from Dorr marine engines in Naples Me. I looked at the ebay engines at his shop last summer waiting for the rain to stop and a poker run to start. Some folks from this site know him very well. Tim has a nice shop and knows his stuff. Tim sells and installs these engines in his shop. Just so you know.

mrfixxall
12-22-2009, 11:29 AM
If it were me i would look into a LS platform small block, lets face it the older sbc are on their way out! You can get alot more tameable hp out of a ls engine then you will ever get out of a hopped up 383 sbc..i would mate it to a bravo or a volvo DPX..

VetteLT193
12-22-2009, 12:47 PM
If it were me i would look into a LS platform small block, lets face it the older sbc are on their way out! You can get alot more tameable hp out of a ls engine then you will ever get out of a hopped up 383 sbc..i would mate it to a bravo or a volvo DPX..

While I agree that the LS platform is the next thing coming... dollar for dollar right now the old stuff wins. It's expensive to be a pioneer. LSx marine exhaust? $$$$$ plus all the other odds and ends. $$$$$ forget about it.

I think the raylar LS engine is over $20k. granted, we are talking over 500 horse, but a Merc. 383/350 HP can be had for $7k. Add a supercharger and you have Raylar power at nearly $10k less :yes:

Now... when Merc and the other big Marine companies make the swap to LSx blocks....... watch out :nilly:

mrfixxall
12-23-2009, 08:10 PM
While I agree that the LS platform is the next thing coming... dollar for dollar right now the old stuff wins. It's expensive to be a pioneer. LSx marine exhaust? $$$$$ plus all the other odds and ends. $$$$$ forget about it.

I think the raylar LS engine is over $20k. granted, we are talking over 500 horse, but a Merc. 383/350 HP can be had for $7k. Add a supercharger and you have Raylar power at nearly $10k less :yes:

Now... when Merc and the other big Marine companies make the swap to LSx blocks....... watch out :nilly:

once i get the formula goin this will be my next project but only with a carb.. i figure i can get a ls done for under 6k..

http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/114933/0909gmhtp-408-lq9-budget-engine-build/index.html

http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/video/6223035/dynoing-and-tuning-our-408-budget-build/index.html

silverghost
12-24-2009, 03:06 AM
I was told by a Mercruiser dealer that the Scorpion was designed & sold & intended as a skiboat-tow motor package from day one.
There is a Merc website that markets the Scorpion for this intended use.
The inboard ski-towboat market has always been a low production volume niche market.
Torque & holeshot power is what skiers want.
The Scorpion was designed to give Mecruiser entry into this ski-boat engine market which has been dominated by small low volume builders like Indmar & PCM.
Mercruier conventional direct & V-drive inboards were never adopted by Mastercraft & other skiboat builders as they were really only designed for larger heavier boats.
Not really performance engines.
The Scorpion was Mercruiser's first real high-performance skiboat engine!
It really never caught on and captured much of the ski towboat market.
Indmar & PCM still hold 95% of this small market.
He suspects Mercruiser was stuck with many new unsold skiboat engines.
They over-estimated the market for such an engine.
This may be why they were revamped and sold as remanufactured engines (remans) ! ?
He doubts these were ever old used core re-built engines.
Sounds possible to me?

VetteLT193
12-24-2009, 06:35 AM
once i get the formula goin this will be my next project but only with a carb.. i figure i can get a ls done for under 6k..

http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/114933/0909gmhtp-408-lq9-budget-engine-build/index.html

http://gmhightechperformance.automotive.com/video/6223035/dynoing-and-tuning-our-408-budget-build/index.html

Exhaust would be my main budget concern, have you found a Marine set?

VetteLT193
12-24-2009, 06:36 AM
I was told by a Mercruiser dealer that the Scorpion was designed & sold & intended as a skiboat-tow motor package from day one.
There is a Merc website that markets the Scorpion for this intended use.
The inboard ski-towboat market has always been a low production volume niche market.
Torque & holeshot power is what skiers want.
The Scorpion was designed to give Mecruiser entry into this ski-boat engine market which has been dominated by small low volume builders like Indmar & PCM.
Mercruier conventional direct & V-drive inboards were never adopted by Mastercraft & other skiboat builders as they were really only designed for larger heavier boats.
Not really performance engines.
The Scorpion was Mercruiser's first real high-performance skiboat engine!
It really never caught on and captured much of the ski towboat market.
Indmar & PCM still hold 95% of this small market.
He suspects Mercruiser was stuck with many new unsold skiboat engines.
They over-estimated the market for such an engine.
This may be why they were revamped and sold as remanufactured engines (remans) ! ?
He doubts these were ever old used core re-built engines.
Sounds possible to me?

sounds reasonable to me. That is where they are marketed for now too.

mrfixxall
12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Exhaust would be my main budget concern, have you found a Marine set?

Marine power makes alunimum exhaust like EMI's for around $1500 and cmi makes headers for around $2000..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LS-style-exhaust-manifolds-boat-marine-LS1-LS2-header_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3355000c79QQitem Z220469398649QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGea r

Then if you really wanted to go the fuel injection route you could get the mefi4 from msd which was sold to painless wireing,they also include the software for the mefi system.. I also have the phone # to the engineer that perfected it and he said that if i were to use it in a marine application he would give me the codes to unlock it and play with it through my laptop..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GM-LS2-LS7-Complete-engine-harness-NEW-computer-MEFI-4_W0QQitemZ290369175532QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_C ar_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item439b59ffec

BUIZILLA
12-24-2009, 01:04 PM
awesome lead Fix.. :yes: