PDA

View Full Version : hydraulic hatch lifting system...

Donzi Vol
12-19-2009, 11:20 AM
In adding to my winter project list, I think that I will add lifts for the hatch of my 18C. I don't want/need electronic, just the hydraulic lifting arms that are coming stock on the 18's and 22's these days.

What are the best kind/brand to use? Also, is there a brand out there with a kit that would include the lifting rams, hardware to attach to the deck, and hardware to attach to the hatch?

Below is the boat for a point of reference.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58382

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ed Donnelly
12-19-2009, 11:27 AM
Bennett should fit the bill............Ed

Donzi Vol
12-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Bennett should fit the bill............Ed

Thanks, Ed.

Don't they just do electronic/power systems? I'm just looking for the basic deal. Same sort of thing you'd find on a vehicle with a back hatch or back glass that is lifted by hydraulic rams.

miike
12-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Mine were weak when I got my boat. Easy job to replace, adding them to a boat might take some thought. I'd say the best thing to do is ask another 18C owner what length lifters hes got and how far back on the hatch they attach and how far up the inside of the compartment they go on. I needed 80lbs lifters for my 22. I just turn the knob and it opens itself. Maybe you can buy some mounts from a boating store that you can modify to fit if they dont already.

Good luck and let us know what happens. My buddy has a 22 without lifters he could sure use info you find out.

Mike

Donzi Vol
12-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Mine were weak when I got my boat. Easy job to replace, adding them to a boat might take some thought. I'd say the best thing to do is ask another 18C owner what length lifters hes got and how far back on the hatch they attach and how far up the inside of the compartment they go on. I needed 80lbs lifters for my 22. I just turn the knob and it opens itself. Maybe you can buy some mounts from a boating store that you can modify to fit if they dont already.

Good luck and let us know what happens. My buddy has a 22 without lifters he could sure use info you find out.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Much appreciated.

I'll do some more research and let you know what I come up with. I might run down to West Marine tomorrow and see what I can come up with there.

kraftee
12-20-2009, 04:33 PM
I used a pair of 20lb struts with the appropriate mounts. Unfortunately, the boat is at my house in Florida and I am up in New York - so I can't give you model numbers, lengths or mounting points on the struts. But they work PERFECTLY. You simply release the latch, lift up the hatch, and when it gets about a foot or so up, the struts take over and lift it the rest of the way. Makes it much easier to close than if you use struts that are too heavy. The big trick is mounting the strut to the hatch itself. I hated the look of through bolts on my hatch, so I countersunk and through-bolted the strut mount to a square of 1/2" starboard. Then I epoxied the starboard to the hatch. I obviously ground the paint and gelcoat off where the epoxy went to ensure good adhesion. A pic is worth a thousand words though...

Donzi Vol
12-20-2009, 10:39 PM
I used a pair of 20lb struts with the appropriate mounts. Unfortunately, the boat is at my house in Florida and I am up in New York - so I can't give you model numbers, lengths or mounting points on the struts. But they work PERFECTLY. You simply release the latch, lift up the hatch, and when it gets about a foot or so up, the struts take over and lift it the rest of the way. Makes it much easier to close than if you use struts that are too heavy. The big trick is mounting the strut to the hatch itself. I hated the look of through bolts on my hatch, so I countersunk and through-bolted the strut mount to a square of 1/2" starboard. Then I epoxied the starboard to the hatch. I obviously ground the paint and gelcoat off where the epoxy went to ensure good adhesion. A pic is worth a thousand words though...

Exactly what I'm looking for! Your project looks great...very clean. I like how they're out of the way so that you can still get in the engine compartment and get to most of the motor.

Where can I get a pair of those?

Thanks!

silverghost
12-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Bennettt hatch lift system.
My skiboat 6'X4' aft sunpad has a Bennett hydraulic hatch lift system.
Basically two SS cylinders that expand to 4 feet with a bennett single valve trim tab pump and fluid tank.
very slick system~
Always shocks my riders.

NJFASTECH
12-21-2009, 07:01 AM
Donzi Vol,
You can find the gas struts your are looking for at a truck cap distributor they always keep replacement parts and struts on hand.Maybe even online at a company like Leer.We can also get them at the local performance and car audio shops.
Jim

BlownCrewCab
12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
very slick system~
Always shocks my riders.

Maybe you should get that fixed:shocking::shocking:

(J/K)

Donzi Vol
12-21-2009, 08:28 PM
Thanks for all the help, guys. I went by the local truck cap place this afternoon, and sure enough they can order them in for me. I went ahead and stopped in West Marine since it's only about a mile down the road. They had them, but were naturally about twice the price.

I'll keep you updated on how it goes :crossfing:

BUIZILLA
12-21-2009, 08:42 PM
but West has the SS brackets....

kraftee
12-22-2009, 09:18 AM
DonziVol,

As sales manager for a boatbuilder in Florida, I just grabbed the struts and mounts out of inventory. If you can be a little bit patient, I can get you all the pieces you need to duplicate my installation (including the starboard squares). Everything is relatively cheap - I just talked to my parts manager and the struts are $15 each, the mounts are $5 each and the starboard squares are free. So, figure $50 plus another $10 for shipping and you should be covered. If you want the stuff, let me know and I'll get it together and shipped when I get back to Florida the first week of January.

ERIC

Donzi Vol
12-22-2009, 04:54 PM
DonziVol,

As sales manager for a boatbuilder in Florida, I just grabbed the struts and mounts out of inventory. If you can be a little bit patient, I can get you all the pieces you need to duplicate my installation (including the starboard squares). Everything is relatively cheap - I just talked to my parts manager and the struts are $15 each, the mounts are $5 each and the starboard squares are free. So, figure $50 plus another $10 for shipping and you should be covered. If you want the stuff, let me know and I'll get it together and shipped when I get back to Florida the first week of January.

ERIC

Definitely! That would be perfect. No problem in waiting...I won't be doing the project in the next few weeks anyway. Just let me know when and how much and I'll get you the money for it. You're the man!

-David

but West has the SS brackets....

That they do. And the SS struts were really nice too! I probably spent an hour in there just looking around. So, I wrote a note to Santa that all I want for Christmas is a gift card to West Marine!

kraftee
12-22-2009, 09:26 PM
Okay David,

I'll get in touch when I'm back home in Florida (probably about the 4th) and we'll put everything together to ship out to you.

Have a great Holiday!

ERIC

oledawg
12-23-2009, 07:30 AM
I am in for a set for my 22C. Add me to the list for details on payment, instructions, etc.

LeadSledMerc
12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Okay David,

I'll get in touch when I'm back home in Florida (probably about the 4th) and we'll put everything together to ship out to you.

Have a great Holiday!

ERIC
Eric,

I'd be very interested in getting the complete set-up for my 18 hatch, if you can pull another one together. If not, I understand.

Thanks, Keith

kraftee
12-23-2009, 08:56 AM
No problem guys. I'll contact everyone who wants a set when I get back to Florida the first week in January. Have a Merry Christmas. ERIC

Donzi Vol
12-23-2009, 04:44 PM
No problem guys. I'll contact everyone who wants a set when I get back to Florida the first week in January. Have a Merry Christmas. ERIC

Merry Christmas to you as well, Eric. Thanks again for the help.

LeadSledMerc
12-23-2009, 08:40 PM
That'll be great, Eric.
Thanks a lot for your help, it's very much appreciated!
I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Keith

kraftee
01-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Back from the frozen north to good old sunny, but also freezing North Florida. I will have my parts guy put together the "hatch lift kit" tomorrow. I don't know if he has it all in stock - but he can get the stuff overnight no problem. So far, Donzi Vol, Oledawg and LeadSledMerc each want a set. I have taken measurements, so I will send placement instructions with the "kit".

I'll let you guys know the exact pricing and get your shipping info probably tomorrow evening.

ERIC

jg480
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Eric, if it is not too much trouble I'd like to get a set for 18'. In no hurry since everything here is frozen. Let me know the payment details.
Thanks Jim.

kraftee
01-05-2010, 05:49 PM
No problem Jim. As long as I'm ordering parts, anyone else?

oledawg
01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
This is great since my 22C is still in the shop getting some pop-up cleats installed. I can add this to the "job jar" for my techs! Thanks for doing this for us Donzi nuts. :nilly:

Donzi Vol
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Beautiful! I'll send you a PM with my shipping info and such. Thanks!!

NJFASTECH
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
We would also appreciate a set for the Minx JKFORMULA@msn.com
Thanks a million,Jim
You have a nice set up!

oledawg
01-06-2010, 05:42 AM
PM sent with info. Thanks. :pimp:

LeadSledMerc
01-06-2010, 06:58 AM
Eric, thanks again for your efforts on this, it is very much appreciated!!:yes:
I sent you a PM with my info.
Keith

kraftee
01-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Okay Guys, here's the deal:

Seems that my parts guy was shooting from the hip on prices before. It's going to be just a few dollars more. $29 each for the 2 struts (including the screw-on ball ends), $3 each for the 4 mounting plates and I am still throwing in the starboard squares for free. So, the grand total per kit is $70 plus actual shipping. Sorry about the low initial estimate - be assured that my parts guy has been severely chastised!!!

I will e-mail each of you that has expressed interest with this same information. If you do not want a set at the new price, that's fine. Just let me know ASAP as I am ordering the necessary parts today.

ERIC

jonzis donzi
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
Would these work on a 16? Very interested. Thanks!

oledawg
01-06-2010, 01:02 PM
I am totally OK with paying this for a proven, great looking system. Hey, I am a boat guy ( read: used to spending money on said boats ), and this isn't even the cost of a half tank of gas! Still a great deal. Thanks for putting it together. :worthy:

Donzi Vol
01-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Not a problem, Eric. I would rather give you the business than one of the big boys...just the way I am :lookaroun:

Thanks again

kraftee
01-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey, I'm just trying to help you guys out with a hatch strut kit that works really well for me. The company is making a whopping $19 on these kits. That's just to keep the boss happy. It barely covers the cost of my parts manager's time and shipping in the parts! Of course, as a sales manager, my time cutting and drilling starboard, drawing up directions, researching parts, etc. is free! :bonk:
I'm more than happy to be able to help! ERIC

kraftee
01-11-2010, 09:58 AM
Gentlemen,

An update: One of the brackets was on backorder - but has now been shipped. So I should have everything together in the next day or so. I'll contact everyone as soon as I have the "kits" ready to ship!

ERIC

oledawg
01-11-2010, 10:30 AM
No problem, and again, thanks for all of the efforts!:clap:

kraftee
01-12-2010, 12:57 PM
Okay, I have all the parts together finally. I'll box everything up and ship to you guys tomorrow! I'll contact each of you individually about payment. Sorry it took so long! ERIC

MOP
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
This will fit and they are polished S/S, add some bling! http://www.americanmuscle.com/elite-hood-strut-2005.html?utm_content=elite-hood-strut-2005&utm_campaign=FROOG&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping

jg480
01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
Eric,
Got My kit today. I gotta say you did one hell of a good job packing it up, shipping it out right away, and making a great set of directions! Excellent job thanks for all your effort!
Jim

oledawg
01-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Got mine last Friday as noted in my PM, packaged great, looks great, instructions clear, will advise as soon as I have it installed.

Thanks again!:nilly:

LeadSledMerc
01-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Eric,
I recieved my kit today also...awesome job you did all around!
Thanks again for taking the time and effort to put these kits together for us, I really appreciate it!!
Now I can't wait for this winter to get over here in the northeast so I can uncover my boat and get moving on the updates!
Thanks, Keith

CaribouLou
01-19-2010, 01:28 AM
I'm in for a set.

kraftee
01-19-2010, 05:10 PM
CaribouLou,

Okay, I have one set ready to ship. There were two other guys on the boards that said they wanted them - but have not been responding to e-mails for addresses. So, if you want this set, you can have it. Ready to ship tomorrow, it's $70 plus shipping. If you PM me with your mailing address, I can give you a total.

ERIC

kraftee
01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Well CaribouLou, NJFASTECH, and the one or two others who said they wanted a kit but didn't send me a shipping address: The last of the six kits I put together is now spoken for and shipping out.

If anyone else actually does want one, I am not going to have time to do the labor myself! I will have to pay one of my woodworkers to cut, drill and countersink the mounting squares. So instead of $70 - the kit price will be $85. Plus freight.

If you want one, just call my parts guy, Ed, at 352.281.6060 and tell him you want a Donzi Hatch Strut Kit. He'll put one together and ship it out quickly. If no one else wants a kit, that's fine too! Glad I was able to help out the guys who wanted an easy, neat solution to holding the engine hatch up on their classics.

ERIC

The Hedgehog
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Donzi Vol got his. He says it it awesome!

Donzi Vol
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Donzi Vol got his. He says it it awesome!

Thanks, Hedge.

I've been computerless for a couple days, so Hedgehog was kind enough to put this up so that it wouldn't seem I was being a jerk by not commenting. After all, there are plenty of other reasons why I'm a jerk :wink:

Seriously though, the "kit" is awesome and I can't wait to install it! I'll probably wait a few weeks as it's still a little more chilly than I would prefer to work on it.

Thanks again, Kraftee. If you ever need anything in TN, let me know.

All the best,
David

oledawg
01-23-2010, 08:57 AM
Should have mine installed next week. Took all the stuff to my boat guy and he said that with all of the good info furnished it shouldn't take more than a hour of labor. He was totally impressed. Nice job for the members and I agree totally with your current position on making the kits and the pricing. Not a moneymaker for you and I am sure that your company is not in the charity business! :cool!:

kraftee
01-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the kind words. As you can tell, I hate doing ANYTHING half-a$$ed! Let me know if you have any installation problems.

ERIC

Kirbyvv
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I recieved my kit today. NICE job Eric. I won't see the boat until April, but I'm getting ready for the spring projects.

CaribouLou
01-28-2010, 09:14 PM
I will order one here soon!

CaribouLou
05-27-2010, 11:07 PM
I still haven't got a chance to install mine, but the kit looks awesome.

Boatnuts
10-12-2010, 03:38 PM
What were the specs on the gas struts used here?
Length closed, length open and shaft size? Thanks

Donzi Vol
10-13-2010, 09:34 PM
What were the specs on the gas struts used here?
Length closed, length open and shaft size? Thanks

20lb...see post #6. These work great on my 18 and are probably the most useful add-on. Highly recommended!