PDA

View Full Version : 16 Classic Gas Tank Question

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 08:37 AM
Many of you have replaced the fuel tank on a 16. I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on locating a belly tank under the 16 Classics small floor locker. There is almost no space there and I am wondering if there is a technical issue associated with haveing a super looooooooong fuel tank that is very shallow?

Just Say N20
12-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Parnell's (Sweet Cheekz) 16 came with a 42 gallon tank. Most came with between 18 and 24. He replaced his tank with a 65 gallon tank.

I haven't seen pictures of how far back the tank came, but I know he lost at least part of his in floor storage.

Sweet Cheekz
12-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Greg
My tank is pretty shallow and long It runs from the rear bulkhead forward past the driver to where your feet would be. Thats another bulkhead in my boat. The boat rides nice with it, there waswn't much storage anyways and its great to get fuel once a weekend.
Parnell

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 12:27 PM
Thanks guys. My objective is to try and keep the floor locker. How about a step tank where the shallow portion is actually under the 16's floor storage locker and then "steps" up to a larger tank area? The thought being at attack speeds when a bit nose high the fuel load would shift aft while when at idle the weight would distribute more flat.

Is this practical? I don't have easy access to the hull right now to actually measure how much space there is beneath the floor locker tub.

MOP
12-19-2009, 12:33 PM
A step tank will work no sweat, it will cost a few more $ go for it! Double check all your measurements or you may be modifying you storage locker after all.

Phil

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 02:27 PM
The dimensions on this tank provide 30 gallons. If the step were added then you are getting 30 or more gallons so maybe there is an approach that would keep the floor locker in place.

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 03:20 PM
And here is an old tank out of an 18..........

anyone have the drawings for a 16 tank ?

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 03:52 PM
And here are the proper dimensions of an OEM 16 tank ...........

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 04:08 PM
and another diagram .............

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 04:16 PM
And more info from one of Parnell's posts that provides more insights .......

Here are two pics. It does not have any pitting 42 Gallon tank made in Florida 1979 1/8" It has fuel in it sitting on the floor and it does not leak. Dimensions are as follows 22" x 50" Rear height to bottom is 12.5 inches and the sides are 7" Height at the front of the tank is 10.5 and the sides are 4" Has hose and fill attached Thanks Any more questions call me Parnell

RPD
12-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Greg ... I know you don't want to lose storage space, understandably.... I added a little by cutting a piece of "starboard" to fit above the battery in the battery box .... now stuff I have to have but probably won't use stays in there: flairs, horn, fuses, a handheld spotlight, etc.

Greg Guimond
12-19-2009, 04:32 PM
And from the archives ..............

The tank on a 16 is a 23 or 25 gallon depending on the supplier they sit just under the driver's feet the back end and then go forward to the fill and usually have a site gauge in the floor. To replace them correctly the deck needs to be lifted unless you cut the floor. Moving the tank will change the COG of the boat not sure if it will help or hinder ride and handling. The tank did not interfere with the locker tub they share a bulkhead. The only change to the location of the tank in a 16 is when they went to the larger 40 gallon tank it was moved forward, not back so the front bulkhead was moved forward hence so did the front lifting eye. A topless OB looks the same as my IO sans the floatation foam.

Greg Guimond
12-21-2009, 11:29 AM
RPD,
Thanks. I hate to give up any storage spaces with a boat that is so tight already for storage. If I were able to access a 16 hull it would be interesting to see how much space still remains under the floor locker fiberglass "tub" is lowered down. It may be so tight that the practical aspect of a tank beneath it is not really realistic. I seem to remember that there was a good 5"-6" though and if that is the case, then I might be able to fab it for 50" length and then a step up from say 51" thru 60" or so. :crossfing:

Sweet little 16
12-22-2009, 09:10 AM
Greg,

very good info you posted a few quotes could you post a link to the threads where they came from would like to if there is any other helpful info that might be in the thread

Thanks

Greg Guimond
12-26-2009, 05:52 PM
Sweet little 16,

Sorry but I lost track of precisely where I got all the info. Hopefully the various pieces of data are helpful to you. I'm thinking a step tak will give at least 40 Gallons which would make storing up the 92 Octane a little easier.

Greg Guimond
04-15-2010, 12:23 PM
Is there a USCG regulation that dictates how much distance there must be between the gas tank fuel fill location and the deck filler cap location?
Not sure if it matters but any comments from experience will be appreciated

mattyboy
04-15-2010, 01:01 PM
here's a few pages of reading

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/fuel_standards_partl.aspx

Just Say N20
04-15-2010, 01:25 PM
here's a few pages of reading

http://www.uscgboating.org/regulations/boatbuilder_s_handbook/fuel_standards_partl.aspx

Matty, that is some great information.

Thanks for posting the link.

AndyDiSario
06-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Greg,

I am not sure my comments have much value here, but I'll mention what I have noticed from experience. After using the boat, there is quite some water beneath the floor locker. This is due either to a little sea splash from an aggressive day in the ocean, or more likely, my wife, Fern's vigorous cleaning (hosing out) of the interior afterwards. I use a manual bilge pump from West Marine to suck out the water; I drilled a hole in the floor locker of adequate diameter to allow inserting the pump without removing the locker, using a hole saw, then reinforcing the drilled area with Marine 5200. The hole is drilled at the lowest point of the bilge.

I bring this up because I would be concerned about an auxiliary fuel tank in this area sitting in water, especially should it be constructed of metal. Still, even a plastic unit would get in the way of drying out the bilge.

-Andy

Greg Guimond
11-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Time to freshen up on gas tank reading for December.........:yes: