PDA

View Full Version : Snow tire opinions!

MOP
12-18-2009, 03:47 PM
What are you guys running on your cars, I just went for a set of General Altimax Arctic. I ran Blizzaks one season with good results but from the reviews switched to the Generals, want great traction without studs .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=123

Ghost
12-18-2009, 03:51 PM
What are you guys running on your cars, I just went for a set of General Altimax Arctic. I ran Blizzaks one season with good results but from the reviews switched to the Generals, want great traction without studs .

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=123

Back when I had a Porsche, for all-around winter service in MD, I thought the Pirelli Wintersports were the best overall, based on reading a lot of reviews and tests. I think Blizzaks looked best for snow duty, but in my view, for a sports car in the mid-atlantic (some snow, not a lot), the compromise of the Wintersports was best. FWIW.

(Hey, if anyone knows anyone who wants a pristine set of Boxster wheels with those very snow tires on them, I am about to put them on eBay...)

zelatore
12-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Uh, I just go back down to lower elevation?

BUIZILLA
12-18-2009, 03:58 PM
snow tires?? :bonk:

can't help ya..

sun tires?

how many ya want? :shades:

dsparis
12-18-2009, 04:28 PM
I run Blizzaks on my 04 BMW M5 and love them.

VetteLT193
12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
snow tires?? :bonk:

can't help ya..

sun tires?

how many ya want? :shades:

++++++++1

If it snows here I'll brave the half mile in 4x4 to pick up more beer. :nilly:

Cuda
12-18-2009, 06:28 PM
++++++++1
If it snows here I'll brave the half mile in 4x4 to pick up more beer. :nilly:
You break the trail with the 4x4, and I'll follow. :)

justleft
12-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Blizzaks are great until you wear that layer of sticky rubber off.
Treat them nice.

silverghost
12-18-2009, 06:37 PM
The idiot lawmakers here in PA have outlawed studded snow tires.
They claim the studs tear-up the state highways too much.
I guess they would rather we wreck our cars & kill ourselves on the ice !
BUT the state Police cruisers have them !
I have not seen studded snow tires around these parts in 20 years.
We expect a blizzard here in PA tonight! Supposed to be the biggest storm to hit our area in decades !

CHACHI
12-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Phil, the bride has been rolling on Blizzaks since '03.

No complaints at all.

You thinking of putting new tires on Bonnies Audi?

It is a Quattro, no?

Ken

MOP
12-19-2009, 07:53 AM
Phil, the bride has been rolling on Blizzaks since '03.

No complaints at all.

You thinking of putting new tires on Bonnies Audi?

It is a Quattro, no?

Ken

Yup Quatro the Generals were on it as of 1:00, I spent the rest of the afternoon cranking through some windy roads burning the mold cast off you know how important that is. I was going to stay with Blizzaks but could not get past the ratings on the Generals. Believe me they are quieter and handle better then the Blizzaks which were my favorites for quite a few years. They will get practical testing today we like you are going to get dumped on, they are talking 12-16" hoping it blows nice can stand clearing the chute every few minutes.

Phil

MOP
12-21-2009, 10:46 AM
Formal testing went on this morning!!! Road was still not plowed but a 4X4 had made it just past our house before it had to back out cause it could go no farther. I got the Audi warmed up and shot out into his track these tires are twice as good a Blizzaks just unbelievable, the stopping on ice is truly amazing nothing short of chain or studs will come any where near the stopping power. I went nuts for about a half an hour playing rally driver whipping through unplowed roads and a big parking lot throwing showers of snow. I may just throw a pair on the back of my Sub although once free it did decent with the Michelin's and 300lbs of bird seed in the back. I wholeheartedly recommend the Generals to any one they are the absolute best you can buy!! Full throttle take offs were a breeze almost as impressive as the stopping power!!!