PDA

View Full Version : Five ans one half years

MOP
12-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Frozen to the bone and then some, the A4's battery was getting weak so I got a new one and proceeded to remove panels and the rubber molding. Anyone with an A4 knows the deal, why Audi decided to stuff the battery under the windshield cowling can just pizz you off proper. Well back to 5 & 1/2 years checked the battery that I pulled, the tag said July 2004, I guess that was more then enough time for me to forget what a miserable job it was.

Phil

Ghost
12-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Frozen to the bone and then some, the A4's battery was getting weak so I got a new one and proceeded to remove panels and the rubber molding. Anyone with an A4 knows the deal, why Audi decided to stuff the battery under the windshield cowling can just pizz you off proper. Well back to 5 & 1/2 years checked the battery that I pulled, the tag said July 2004, I guess that was more then enough time for me to forget what a miserable job it was.

Phil

Time to dig out that radio code...

VetteLT193
12-18-2009, 05:39 PM
One of the reasons I stick with American cars. Stuff that breaks is usually easy to get to.:bonk:

BUIZILLA
12-18-2009, 05:41 PM
what year A4?

I have a '99 Quattro Avant (very snow friendly)

Cuda
12-18-2009, 06:26 PM
One of the reasons I stick with American cars. Stuff that breaks is usually easy to get to.:bonk:
Don't be so sure. You ever have to change a battery in a Harlay V Rod? :eek:

silverghost
12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Snow Friendly ?
Jim: How much snow do you really get in Florida ?
AND~
With the weather you have down there in the winter why would you want to venture up north?
Now your buddy Lenny, and our other friends in up north in Canada know what REAL SNOW is all about !
We are now preparing for a blizzard here in PA !

BUIZILLA
12-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Snow Friendly ?
Jim: How much snow do you really get in Florida ? none, that's why it's so friendly... this car came out of Nashville and when EVERYBODY there stayed home from the ice and snow storms, this car made it to the office, every single time... AWD on ice is fun...

MOP
12-18-2009, 07:22 PM
what year A4?

I have a '99 Quattro Avant (very snow friendly)

2000 Quatro 134,000 still strong

Ghost no sweat with the code the radio still works, I do have the cigarette lighter hook up but forgot to use it was happy the radio did work afterward s!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghost
12-19-2009, 12:35 AM
2000 Quatro 134,000 still strong

Ghost no sweat with the code the radio still works, I do have the cigarette lighter hook up but forgot to use it was happy the radio did work afterward s!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweeeet.

1.8T or 2.8?

If 1.8T, turbo ever need work?

MOP
12-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Sweeeet.

1.8T or 2.8?

If 1.8T, turbo ever need work?

1.8 we were looking at both when we bought but one call to our insurance company killed the idea of the 2.8, here in NY the rate is about 30% higher then the 1.8. They know how we drive so they hold us back:shocking:!!!!

Ghost
12-19-2009, 11:54 AM
1.8 we were looking at both when we bought but one call to our insurance company killed the idea of the 2.9, here in NY the rate is about 30% higher then the 1.8. They know how we drive so they hold us back:shocking:!!!!

LOL, I had a 1.8T in the late 90s. I think the major practical difference with the two motors was the A/C compressor load. With the 1.8T, I had to hit the boost button for passing on 2lane roads (compressor off). The 2.8 didn't notice much I don't think.

MOP
12-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I had an 80 a few years back it was non turbo, the out of the hole response was way better then the turbo the A4 has given me a fright a couple of times. The A4 only gets 24 average where as my 80 got 26, shame you can't buy a non turbo Audi anymore.

zelatore
12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
As a former quattro owner ('02 A4, sport, 3.0, 6-spd) I can say they are fine on PLOWED roads, even with summer tires. The problem is ground clearance. If the road hasn't been cleared, you're screwed. I discovered this a few years ago during a May trip up around the CA-OR boarder. I started up a small road with a sign saying 'snow clearing stops in 5 miles' or something to that effect. No big deal I figured, they just leave that sign up all year. After all, I hadn't seen any snow on the ground yet at all, and it was mid May. After about 5 miles I came around a corner and BAM!- there was a foot of snow covering the road as far as I could see! Just for grins, I tried to get up it but couldn't even get a car length before getting stuck and having to back out.

The real problem was while I was up in the hills messing around, a landslide had come down and closed the only other paved road out of the area. We ended up taking a gravel forest service road about 30 miles toward the coast to get to 'civilization'. There was still snow there, but luckily it had been plowed out. Plenty of places where it was only one lane, but I think I only saw one other vehicle on that road anyway.

By the time we got back to paved roads, the Audi looked like I'd just run a WRC stage! Covered from top to bottom in dirt and crud!

BUIZILLA
12-19-2009, 02:42 PM
mine is a 1.8T stick with a APR chip... :cool:

ITTLFLI
12-19-2009, 06:26 PM
Been there done the batt change. Wife drives an 03 Quatro 1.8t. Probably going ot get rid of it after the winter if I can settle on something to replace it.

silverghost
12-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Next time~

BUY AMERICAN !

Your country & possibly your job & future depends on it !

BUIZILLA
12-19-2009, 06:33 PM
Wife drives an 03 Quatro 1.8t. Probably going ot get rid of it after the winter if I can settle on something to replace it. check out the Q5.... wife LOVES them, so do I, I actually drove one today for awhile.... AWESOME.... i'm ready to do a deal with a distance dealer, but the wife and I both HATE the closest local dealer for service though,,, that'll probably be a deal breaker... :frown:

zelatore
12-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Been there done the batt change. Wife drives an 03 Quatro 1.8t. Probably going ot get rid of it after the winter if I can settle on something to replace it.

I fought against it for years because everybody and their brother has one, but if you like the A4, you really need to drive a 335. Like it or not, the the 335 is the best answer to the question in it's segment. You'd have to step up to an S4 to get the same performance from Audi.

Don't do the SUV man! Just don't do it!
(well, OK, if you have a snow issue to deal with I'll cut you some slack. The Q5 does look pretty sharp)

BUIZILLA
12-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Don't do the SUV man! Just don't do it!
(well, OK, if you have a snow issue to deal with I'll cut you some slack. The Q5 does look pretty sharp) he has FAMILY and SNOW.... you don't have either... :wink:

zelatore
12-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Next time~

BUY AMERICAN !

Your country & possibly your job & future depends on it !

Silverghost, I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'd be more than happy to buy an American car if they would build something I want to drive.

Show me a sub $50K American built sports sedan that's even remotely close to the A4/S4 or 335. I'll be glad to look at it when the time comes to replace the BMW.

I can't think of anything from the American manufacturers that fits the bill. I'm not saying everything they build is junk, only that they don't/won't/can't build anything in the market I'm looking for: a small, rear wheel drive sport sedan. The CTS-V is the only thing I can think of, and it's both too big and too expensive to fit my requirements.

(not that I wouldn't take one if somebody offered to trade me straight across for my BMW)

Now when it comes to trucks.....well, that's another story.

tmh
12-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I saw a recent timed competition on TV with a Mercedes, Jaquar, Maserati, BMW, and a Lincoln on a closed hill climb type road in Colorado. The Lincoln came in a very close second to the BMW. I was surprised at how well the Lincoln performed.
T.M. Hayes