PDA

View Full Version : ZX / ZXO Help

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 02:47 PM
It appears that the drainage for the forward seating in the ZXO runs into a 'box' at the rear of the cabin. this box is basically the step at the aft of the cabin. There is a bilge pump in this box.

A) Should this pump activate with the bilge pump switch on the dash?
B) is there any connection to this 'box' and the rest of the bilge?

I sucked out 8+ shop vac fulls of water out of there last night. there was water in the cabin and the pump is not working. the 'box' was full and overflowed. checked the float switch, it was up but not turning the pump on. Dash switch turned on the other pump in the rear. I tried ignition keys and ACC switches to be sure it wasn't wired to something odd. no dice.

I felt around down there and only felt what I think is a forward connection to the forward bilge, no rearward connection. This seems like a really stupid design... once the water gets in that 'box' the only way out seems to be a manual pump or the bilge pump. All the water collected in the bow runs into this thing, even when washing the boat or running the cabin sink so it's not very effective.

Anyone know if there is supposed to be a connection to the rest of the bilge? if so, where? if not, is it possible?

If it isn't possible I might have them add a 2nd pump in there for backup.

I assume this 'box' is on the regular 28 ZX too but I am not sure.

mrfixxall
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
I would check for a blown fuse, or run the float switch rite to the battery with a fuse lead attached..

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 02:58 PM
I would check for a blown fuse, or run the float switch rite to the battery with a fuse lead attached..

I checked all the breakers on the main panel, although it might be somewhere else. I didn't get too far into it last night. by the time I got the water pumped out it was well into night time so I put another damp rid in the cabin and called it a night.

The Hedgehog
12-16-2009, 03:19 PM
It is a poor design. My 26ZX does that too. I miss the way the 27ZX drained. It is not wired to the dash switch. Fixx is probably right on. I can usually get 1/4 of a shop vac out of it when it gets wet. My dash cooler also drains into the bilge. I dunno why a properly placed through hull would not work.

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 03:24 PM
I dunno why a properly placed through hull would not work.

Yeah, at least for the overflow if the pump stops working. I bet the dash cooler on mine goes into it as well.

What a PITA. I'm at least adding a 2nd pump to this setup for peace of mind.

mrfixxall
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
On my formula all the drains go a hose that goes into the back of the bilge.. Then all three bilge pumps have access to their own holes and pumps it into the water..

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 06:34 PM
On my formula all the drains go a hose that goes into the back of the bilge.. Then all three bilge pumps have access to their own holes and pumps it into the water..

If anyone knows a way to extend the forward drain line to the rear on a 28 ZX I'd rather do that. It makes a whole lot more sense considering it sits on the trailer most of the time and will just drain out.

Trueser
12-16-2009, 07:12 PM
You have my my number.

Are you talking about water under teh cabin step?

rtgogo
12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
So is this only an issue on your larger zx's? Should I be looking for the same on my little 22zx? Always assumed the only bilge was in the engine compartment of mine... right? Thanks..

VetteLT193
12-17-2009, 06:56 AM
You have my my number.

Are you talking about water under teh cabin step?

Yes, I still have to give you a ring where the heck does the time go.

Yes, water under the cabin step. My pump is not working in there and I found out that it overflows into the cabin itself.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
I cant remember if the ZXO has a sink in the mid cabin. If so, possibly you could tie your bilge discharge hose into the drain hose from the sink which discharges out the side of the boat. Mine discharges out the port side of the boat (sime side the sink is on in the cabin). Good luck,

tom

VetteLT193
12-18-2009, 10:43 AM
I cant remember if the ZXO has a sink in the mid cabin. If so, possibly you could tie your bilge discharge hose into the drain hose from the sink which discharges out the side of the boat. Mine discharges out the port side of the boat (sime side the sink is on in the cabin). Good luck,
tom

I didn't realize the sink went overboard, I thought it went into the box as well. I'm checking that when I get home tonight.

handfulz28
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Integral float switch or seperate? I had a bilge float switch go bad but pump worked fine through dash switch.

Perhaps a re-wire to the dash switch would be simple fix?

VetteLT193
12-18-2009, 01:48 PM
Integral float switch or seperate? I had a bilge float switch go bad but pump worked fine through dash switch.

Perhaps a re-wire to the dash switch would be simple fix?

it's integrated. I couldn't even really see it because I didn't lug up a flashlight but it's the kind that has the little knob on the side to test the float switch. I think it's attwood? I've had them on other boats so it felt familiar even though I couldn't see it.

I'm not sure if the pump is wired to the switch at all. Hedge says his is not. If mine isn't I'm probably going to add a switch for it too. or add a switch to a second pump, or other.

Fishin' says his sink goes overboard but I looked at pictures of my boat and there is only one hole on the side of the boat so it might be pump only on mine.

handfulz28
12-18-2009, 02:23 PM
His could be tee'd into another line? My Formula sink went directly through-hull...but that was a '91. Perhaps dumping sink direct isn't epa friendly these days? :bonk:

Just totally MHO, but tying into the existing bilge switch would be a cleaner install. And if that front pump dumps into bilge, you're going to want to run that pump anyways....two birds with one stone idea.

VetteLT193
12-18-2009, 02:45 PM
His could be tee'd into another line? My Formula sink went directly through-hull...but that was a '91. Perhaps dumping sink direct isn't epa friendly these days? :bonk:

Just totally MHO, but tying into the existing bilge switch would be a cleaner install. And if that front pump dumps into bilge, you're going to want to run that pump anyways....two birds with one stone idea.

front pump dumps over the side I think. completely isolated from the rear. the dump is pretty low, just in front and above the first step in the bottom.

FISHIN SUCKS
12-19-2009, 08:23 AM
There is a stainless steel fitting on the port side right below the 'D' (the DONZI logo) that is for the sink. I learned this when they were installing one of the subwoofers and took apart the interior to do it. Must be they figured a little toothpaste woulnt hurt the environment:kingme:.

gonzojessie
12-20-2009, 09:34 AM
I had the same problem, (25' Ragazza, cheap boat but i like it!) but mine had a pipe that ran to the rear, it was broke and keeping water under the step, it was a major PITA to get fixed, I had to cut up the bottom of my cooler/live well to get to it and fix it. good luck, I also put a pump and switch in there just in case it got plugged up, or broke again, ran the hose to the sink drain thru hull fitting and tee'd it off with a check valve so the sink will not drain back there

Splash
12-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I have a 2000 26ZX and have the same issue. Water typically seeps through the bottom step gets the carpet wet. The pump works on a float system and does not have a switch, I replaced mine since it stop working and you are correct that its at Attwood. The problem is the pump is on this little platform and even if its working it still leaves a bit of water, once I got the pump working I only needed a sponge to get the rest out which I would
normally at the end of the year. I don't use the glove compartment as a cooler but it does drain into the same area. The bilge does drain off to the side, I forget which side but you can see the fitting on the side of the boat.

I use to get more water into the bilge area, I'm not sure where it was coming from but it seemed to fill after a heavy rain or after I washed it. I made sure all my screw holes were sealed by my windshield re sealed the windshield. This seemed to help plus I now keep a full cover on the boat which probably helps the most.

Just a fyi, I had a issue with the front compartment up in the nose filling up with water. When they drilled the drainge hole for the Anchor Comparment it had partially drilled through the bottom fiberglass piece of the compartment. When water went to drain out of the hole if would flow into the inner compartment, I used some marine calk and lined the drainage whole which took care of the problem.

Good Luck, Jim