PDA

View Full Version : Sub Zero

thriller
12-16-2009, 10:41 AM
I am in need of a new fridge and with us re doing our kitchen I better get the appliances picked out. I have an opportunity to get a used Sub zero 36" side by side SS for a great price. Anyone had experience with them or with installing them? I am told the compressor is on top of the fridge unit and that it runs quiet and saves electricity..Went to their web site..looks OK
Mike

donzi182003
12-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Sub Zero is an extremely high end unit that is installed in the most luxurious custom homes. I have experience with them and they are excellent. I love how the freezers vacuum seal every time.

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 11:59 AM
They are great if you have a big kitchen.... they take up a lot of space because they are wide and shallow. I think about a foot less depth than a regular fridge.

If you do have the space I doubt you will be disappointed.

BUIZILLA
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
most all high-line double doors are 36" now anyways... at least the SS one I bought last week was...

gcarter
12-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Their ice makers have a built in check valve on the inlet plumbing that requires about 30 PSI to open.......
If you use a reverse osmosis drinking water system to feed it, it will require a boost pump to make it work.
Unless you have a Kinetico K5 RO.....:wink:

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 12:58 PM
most all high-line double doors are 36" now anyways... at least the SS one I bought last week was...

it might not be what I'm thinking of, or maybe it is. I was originally thinking it was 2 separate units. so 36" X 2.

If it is a built in sub Z, single unit side by side that is 36" wide then it's a small fridge. you might not like it because of that. I think the Sub Z's are all standard counter depth @ 24".

A regular fridge is deeper. I have a GE Profile as my main kitchen fridge. It's roughly 3 feet deep rather than 2 feet deep... and yes, 36" wide. So the Single side by side sub Z is missing 5-ish cubic feet of interior space.

MOP
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Check it out maybe it will suit your needs they are top shelf!

Oh George don't think that shameless plug slipped by:nilly:

maddad
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM
A 36" side by side gives you a narrow fridge and really narrow freezer. They make a 36" with a lower freezer that works in real life. Mines 13 years old with zero problems and looks new with a little stainless cleaner.

zelatore
12-16-2009, 02:41 PM
We've been using Sub Zero units in boats for years. Smaller than what you're looking at of course.

I've had several of them with problems, usually related to the ice maker. Had a couple of them with water hose failures that led to soaked floors. Ugh.

On the plus side, they've always fixed them under warranty. Once I found a rep who didn't freak out when I said the unit was on a boat at least.

snowboater
12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
We had ours since '96 great fridge and we have had only on problem.Last summer it was'nt cooling down enough.Called service they took the top screen off' vacumed the compressor, fixed in five minutes.Ninty dollars later i learned you should keep those things cleaned and do it more then once every ten years.:bonk:

Bamboo Loui
12-16-2009, 07:16 PM
My wife and i have gone through 3-- thats right 3 subs due to freezer problems. -- given that these are like 5k new, no way should they have these problems-- we could just not make ice no matter how many service calls, or new units under warranty we recieved. We spent 10 years on this. started with a model 590.-- I think they replaced it with 690s for $500 plus I had to pay for the store to install--- and at their weight I needed at least 3 guys to move the things.
Beyond the Ice making problems-- we believe-- but cannot prove that they are very inefficient enrgy wise compared to other brands. To us we felt they were selling based on exclusivity vs performance-- I got past that when I was younger-- I go with the more regular names now and am so much happier!!!!!!
We spent a year with no Ice for the Sub-ON A LAKE!- and lived off the ice from our <$500. whirlpool in the garage-- even for really big parties, the little whirlpool never let us down and when we sold the house, we took the whirlpool with us. Won't buy anything in the sub zero family.

gcarter
12-16-2009, 07:36 PM
My wife and i have gone through 3-- thats right 3 subs due to freezer problems. -- given that these are like 5k new, no way should they have these problems-- we could just not make ice no matter how many service calls, or new units under warranty we recieved. We spent 10 years on this. started with a model 590.-- I think they replaced it with 690s for $500 plus I had to pay for the store to install--- and at their weight I needed at least 3 guys to move the things.
Beyond the Ice making problems-- we believe-- but cannot prove that they are very inefficient enrgy wise compared to other brands. To us we felt they were selling based on exclusivity vs performance-- I got past that when I was younger-- I go with the more regular names now and am so much happier!!!!!!
We spent a year with no Ice for the Sub-ON A LAKE!- and lived off the ice from our <$500. whirlpool in the garage-- even for really big parties, the little whirlpool never let us down and when we sold the house, we took the whirlpool with us. Won't buy anything in the sub zero family.
The ice issue is generally (but maybe not always) caused by the check valve issue I described earlier. It's very important there's plenty of pressure and volume to the ice maker inlet. Even if you have plenty of static pressure, if you're using 1/4" line, it may not work due to the natural restriction of the small line.
When we deal w/ these things, we use 3/8" if not 1/2" line and try to get 40-50 PSI to the inlet.
I don't now, nor ever owned one, and I may never do so. There're several other mfgr's that make similar models and they seem to be as good or better.
It seems that folks here buy one as a package when building a new house or replacing their kitchen.
It seems to be a perception thing, like a Sub Zero fridge and Viking range. People pay massive amounts for things like this that they can show to their guests. Kinda like a new Bimmer or Merc in the drive.
We come in presenting the very best water treatment technology and it gets partly buried in the yard or in the corner of the garage and many of these same folks want to buy a $600.00 softener from a big box store and suffer from inconsistant water quality and short lived equipment.
They're STUPID!

rtgogo
12-16-2009, 07:42 PM
I'll buy sub Z next time. Avoid Viking appliances at all costs.... brand new and already had to replace the mother board in my ice maker, entire microwave and switch board and motor on cook top vent.... Not what I expected at that price point.

rtgogo
12-16-2009, 07:50 PM
The ice issue is generally (but maybe not always) caused by the check valve issue I described earlier. It's very important there's plenty of pressure and volume to the ice maker inlet. Even if you have plenty of static pressure, if you're using 1/4" line, it may not work due to the natural restriction of the small line.
When we deal w/ these things, we use 3/8" if not 1/2" line and try to get 40-50 PSI to the inlet.
I don't now, nor ever owned one, and I may never do so. There're several other mfgr's that make similar models and they seem to be as good or better.
It seems that folks here buy one as a package when building a new house or replacing their kitchen.
It seems to be a perception thing, like a Sub Zero fridge and Viking range. People pay massive amounts for things like this that they can show to their guests. Kinda like a new Bimmer or Merc in the drive.
We come in presenting the very best water treatment technology and it gets partly buried in the yard or in the corner of the garage and many of these same folks want to buy a $600.00 softener from a big box store and suffer from inconsistant water quality and short lived equipment.
They're STUPID!
Didn't read the tale end of your post before I commented on the Viking thing...Yes, I have a Carrera, Merc AMG and harley parked in front..... Thought I was buyin the best with the kitchen upgrade, but the demoted KitchenAid is still tickin after 10 years without a single problem..... Guess my upgrade got me on this one.... but I enjoy the other toys!

gcarter
12-16-2009, 08:06 PM
W/all these retirees around here, a lot of it for show. Many of them have little else to do.....you can't play golf 24-7.

BUIZILLA
12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
W/all these retirees around here, a lot of it for show. Many of them have little else to do.....you can't play golf 24-7. and a LOT of them have bad a$$ golf car's... :yes:

gcarter
12-16-2009, 08:50 PM
and a LOT of them have bad a$$ golf car's... :yes:

This is very true.

The Hedgehog
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Didn't read the tale end of your post before I commented on the Viking thing...Yes, I have a Carrera, Merc AMG and harley parked in front..... Thought I was buyin the best with the kitchen upgrade, but the demoted KitchenAid is still tickin after 10 years without a single problem..... Guess my upgrade got me on this one.... but I enjoy the other toys!

Shame on you Robert. You know that nice toys are just not cool:kingme:

rtgogo
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
stealth-wealth.........Hmm

The Hedgehog
12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
stealth-wealth.........Hmm

My mother has a Viking trash compactor but she does not show it to anyone (it was the only one that happened to fit in her cabinet). My dad has 11 of those cars but he hides them at the airport. Me, I just have some boats and stuff. I am not sure what that means other than that I have a buzz from hanging out with a client.

I do know this, I will probably buy some cool SS kitchen hardware for my boat before I do it in my Kitchen:popcorn:

gcarter
12-16-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm all for good quality stuff.
My gripe is folks buying stuff just because it has a reputation for expense or exclusivity instead of doing their homework and getting their money's worth.
The folks I'm talking about spend loads where it shows and skimp where it doesn't.

CHACHI
12-17-2009, 07:27 AM
The folks I'm talking about spend loads where it shows and skimp where it doesn't.
Out of site, out of mind.

Ken

chrisc2
12-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Mike - I have had 2 side by sides. One was a 36. No problems, very satisfied. I liked the concept of dedicated compressors for refrigeration and freezing. If you can get a good price on a used one I would go for it. Depending on how old it is you may even have a warranty on it. Best of luck. PS- You guys ready for the Olympics? :)