PDA

View Full Version : 18 classic & Dana Marine shifter

tmh
12-16-2009, 08:41 AM
I took the boat out yesterday to try the new control box. I really like the feel of the throttle and the ability to make the smallest speed adjustments. This is a big improvement. However, I wish the throttle was 9 inches further forward as I'm almost reaching back for the throttle now instead of it falling into my hand. The throttle is at a 45 degree angle when at idle instead of being straight up at 90 degrees to the boat. The perfect place for the throttle would be about 9 inches further forward which is where my trim tab controls are. If anyone is putting in a new set of these controls you should evaluate whether you want to move the control box.
T.M. Hayes

MOP
12-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I had a buddy ran into the same issue, rather then hack up the boat he rotated the control box to reposition the levers forward. Full throttle ended up being a little bit down from level but made him a bunch happier.

Phil

tmh
12-16-2009, 03:42 PM
That's a great idea! Thank you so much as I really like the throttle but I am disappointed with the position issue. I have no doubt the throttle position will be a big issue trying to run at faster speeds in choppy water with a hand on the throttle.
T.M. Hayes

kraftee
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I have the Dana controls on my 18 clone and love them. I had the luxury of moving the controls forward a bit when doing the resto - and I drive with the seat back pretty far - so they work fine for me.
If you don't like the throttle back at a 45 when at idle, you can simply take it apart and rotate the throttle lever to give you a straight-up 90-degree-to-boat idle position. I can't tell you from memory exactly how to do this and I can't even run out and take a look at the controls as I am not even in the same State as my boat right now! But it is not difficult. As I recall you just take the main nut off the back and rotate the control. I did that and then decided that I liked it better at the 45 degree idle position. So I switched it back. This is a VERY versatile control and can be almost infinitely adjusted to your liking. Take it apart and figure it out. It's pretty simple.

ERIC