PDA

View Full Version : 82 Hornet II help please

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 09:41 AM
Okay, I got the Ebay boat home put 2 batteries in it and nothing out of the engine except electric fuel pump filled the carb. The ground and starter are questionable,No power to the trim pump either. So the plan is to pull power anyway to clean the bilge up plus new power by spring I hope.All the dash instruments are there and in excellent shape.Alpha, transom assembly and bell housing appear to only be a few years old.Going to pull the dash and bench to redo the interior wet sand and buff. My question is does anyone have an 82 or close brochure they could scan so I could compare some of the deck hardware original or added,Pics would also work.

Thanks for any help,Jim :shades:

MOP
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Check the heavy black ground in the harness make sure it has ground or nothing works. Then I would take jumper cables get a good ground and hit the starter direct to see if it spins, would be nice to know what you have for planning purposes!

MDonziM
12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
I'm pretty sure I have an 81' brochure. Be back to you tomorrow. Nice looking Hornet btw.

Cottell
12-15-2009, 05:20 PM
I am still dialing in my Hornet, it sounds mean but seems to be a show dog that does not hunt. I am now spinning the 25 mirage up to 4800 rpm but it does not feel as fast as my old 19 Hornet with the 350 and Volvo 270 o/d.
I have done the timing on what I think is the right mark, tough to tell, also there is a vacume connection on the distributor with nothing on it.
I will add a nosecone to the TRS and keep tinkering I know there is some serious speed here so I optomistically called her Pronto.
Merry Christmas

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm pretty sure I have an 81' brochure. Be back to you tomorrow. Nice looking Hornet btw.
Wow that would be awesome that should be nearly Identical to what I Bought.

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
Check the heavy black ground in the harness make sure it has ground or nothing works. Then I would take jumper cables get a good ground and hit the starter direct to see if it spins, would be nice to know what you have for planning purposes!

Yeah the ground is to the exhaust manifold which is a weak connection at best I think you are right I will try a jumper ground and a hot lead to the starter messed around saturday afternoon in the light rain and cold paid dearly with the flu to follow just starting to come around. BTW no dip stick not another good sign about the power. But the plan is to clean it up show it off in the spring and next fall split it and bring it back to perfection as close to stock as possible. I do think the merc alpha is original (no sign of a plug and re-cut) and the port helm is also original no changes under the dash. All steering and throttle cables are fairly new perfect working order I think it has not been long since it saw the water. The boat came from the Molina Florida area I did a DMV search and found last 2 owners
Birth dates and all.

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I am still dialing in my Hornet, it sounds mean but seems to be a show dog that does not hunt. I am now spinning the 25 mirage up to 4800 rpm but it does not feel as fast as my old 19 Hornet with the 350 and Volvo 270 o/d.
I have done the timing on what I think is the right mark, tough to tell, also there is a vacume connection on the distributor with nothing on it.
I will add a nosecone to the TRS and keep tinkering I know there is some serious speed here so I optomistically called her Pronto.
Merry Christmas

Good to hear you are dialing her in I would love to see some pictures I did see the add when you bought it. What year was your boat? Are you in Nassau? I never Imagined I would own a Hornet any time soon.
Merry Christmas to you as well.

MOP
12-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Merry Christmas

A vacuum connection on the distributor means it is an automotive one and may not have the correct advance curve. Setting timing on these marine is don differently then on cars, post your specs to get some idea of where your should be set.

Phil

Rob M
12-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Here are the only brochure pics I'm aware of.

gcarter
12-17-2009, 06:38 AM
Could the perceived distributor vacuum connection be a vent instead?????
If you could look inside....

NJFASTECH
12-17-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks Rob M What year is that Brochure? The article helped me with the small cleats that are on my boat and the broken bracket that used to be a windshield. For anyone wanting to make the picture clear right click save to pictures right click open with paint if you did not Already know.:wink:

Thanks Again JIm

Izzy
12-18-2009, 01:59 AM
Hey Jim,

So, I'm curious, have you checked the engine rotation to see if it's a reverse hand to match the port drive?

Gonna' repower... 7.4L or 8.2L? The 18' can't take the added weight but I think a 20' can without a problem. Especially if you are going to replace the fuel tank and can increase the capacity slightly.

What was up with the stripe at the nose? A patch without recoloring the stripe in? I don't think you've mentioned, all original gelcoat. The hull looked cherry in the pics.

Can't figure the tabs unless 1) someone was trying to run a racing prop, 2) the boat has already been repowered once and was underpowered originally, 3) someone was just running the wrong prop, or 4) always had a load of people in the boat.

My 2+3 with the Merc 260 had absolutely no need, but I had a buddy with the same boat with a big block Chevy and had to have them.

Looking forward to watching your progress!!!

NJFASTECH
12-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Hey Jim,

So, I'm curious, have you checked the engine rotation to see if it's a reverse hand to match the port drive?

Gonna' repower... 7.4L or 8.2L? The 18' can't take the added weight but I think a 20' can without a problem. Especially if you are going to replace the fuel tank and can increase the capacity slightly.

What was up with the stripe at the nose? A patch without recoloring the stripe in? I don't think you've mentioned, all original gelcoat. The hull looked cherry in the pics.

Can't figure the tabs unless 1) someone was trying to run a racing prop, 2) the boat has already been repowered once and was underpowered originally, 3) someone was just running the wrong prop, or 4) always had a load of people in the boat.

My 2+3 with the Merc 260 had absolutely no need, but I had a buddy with the same boat with a big block Chevy and had to have them.

Looking forward to watching your progress!!!
I am considering a reman 357 or 383 both will be bravo setups.
As for the tabs I would have to believe they are stock if you look closely at the pictures Rob M put up they are on that boat app.5 years earlier.

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 09:24 AM
I am considering a reman 357 or 383 both will be bravo setups.
As for the tabs I would have to believe they are stock if you look closely at the pictures Rob M put up they are on that boat app.5 years earlier.

NJ,

good luck with the boat if there is anything I can do for you let me know. :yes:

I am not sure anyone has taken hull measurements on the Hornet II and III.
If you get a chance see what the deadrise is and if there is an intentional hook out at the chine?

I saw your post on the trailer don't worrry about it if it works for you that is great. I don't think it will work for me. from the pics it looks like the bow stop is not adjustable which means my hornet will sit too far in being it is over a foot shorter than yours.

also I posted on your for sale thread before I saw this. If you can get her running well not if but when ;) . drag her up to this year's LGDCC dustoff we are trying to get as many hornets up there as possible.

trying to make a record most hornets at a gathering a swarm so to speak ;)

we are putting a 400 hp 383 stroker scorpion/bravo in a 19 foot benchseat hornet should be a great combo. not sure what motor will be in mine but it will be a volvo and a small block ford. that's all that's in the budget for this year

good luck nice find :)

I almost forgot the tabs were an original option my 68 has them from the factory
some info on hardware

the II had a railing around the back of the boat with a built in ladder. and it also was the first hornet to come with the walk thru bench front seat. other hardware that might look different from a normal classic would be the lifting eyes some hornets came with a eye cleat combo like the early wooden chris crafts had. the hornet II also came with the padded combing around the cockpit.

Boatnuts
12-23-2009, 02:14 PM
The dead rise on the Hornet II is about 22 degrees and there is a built in slight hook in the chine.

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 02:51 PM
The dead rise on the Hornet II is about 22 degrees and there is a built in slight hook in the chine.

the number i have heard on the hornet is 19 degrees but I will confirm that on mine and with what i would call more than a slight hook at the chine.

so it is possible on the hornet II when they added length to the hull they added some more angle to the vee and straightened the hook a tad

hmmmm ??? they had to have a new mold anyway i wonder???

NJFASTECH
12-24-2009, 07:08 AM
the number i have heard on the hornet is 19 degrees but I will confirm that on mine and with what i would call more than a slight hook at the chine.

so it is possible on the hornet II when they added length to the hull they added some more angle to the vee and straightened the hook a tad

hmmmm ??? they had to have a new mold anyway i wonder???

What year is your Hornet?Any pics.My boat is original with Merc set up so It will stay that way. I am gonna start to pull it apart this weekend. The large cockpit,walk thru bench sold me.My boat does not appear to ever had the stern railing I looked for signs of it from underside of bilge as well.As for the trailer it needs to go to my fabricator for tongue work and some diamond plate other than that it is in good shape I will repaint it over the winter.
The spring dust off has been a plan for as long as I can remember so with any luck we will be ther with the Minx and the Hornet.A

Any and all pictures welcome from everyone! The more the Merry!

Thanks,Jim

mattyboy
12-24-2009, 08:05 AM
just picked Her up this fall
1968 19H-38

was a salt water boat needs some tlc mostly original all the hardware is there. the interior is original .

She has an added belly tank under the seating area they sealed the original tank up front .

all the coring is solid.

She has all the original paper work i am the third owner. She has been updated along the way to the volvo 280t from a 250 and the original Holman Moody engine has been replaced with a Waukesha Marine 215 hp 302. She also has corsa silent choice , first one ever I have seen on a Volvo .

She has all new stewart warner gauges a compass , barometer, and a swiss analog clock not sure how far out in the ocean the old owner went ;)

this was the day I got her back from long island so she had not been cleaned up yet.

NJFASTECH
12-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Matty,
How big is the tank under the seating? Your boat looks to be in great condition being 1968 and salt use. I love the white hull and the single blue bench.I gave the crew the day off more like I needed one myself. I think I will pull the cover and take some more pics and maybe try to get a better ground with a jumper like MOP suggests to see if there is any life in the business end.The alpha,transom assembly and the bell housing appear to be fairly recent.On the bright side all of the original gauges in the dash light up as well as navigation so wiring appears to be decent must have been a fresh water boat.I traced it to Molino Florida.

mattyboy
12-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Not sure, looks to be a 40ish gallon tank. I really haven't done much . I confirmed she was winterized right. Waiting til after the holidays and then I will start tinkering. I have alot of wiring and corrosion to take care of.

Boatnuts
12-27-2009, 07:04 AM
The first series Hornet's were 19 feet long and 19 degree V. The Hornet II and Hornet III were 22.

mattyboy
12-27-2009, 08:18 AM
The first series Hornet's were 19 feet long and 19 degree V. The Hornet II and Hornet III were 22.

that is good info

NJFASTECH
12-28-2009, 09:54 AM
So, I got the chance to go over the boat and trailer this weekend. The trailer is an aluminum Hitchhiker,adjustable bow stop but not a foot 6" eitherway,all the fenders are there and in good shape,2 new axles no brakes though.So it needs the front tongue worked on and a new jack. I will probably give it a freash coat of paint and keep it for now.Power will be pulled this week and disposed (junk) will also pull and re use all original gauges as they all work. Strip the hardware send it to be re chromed and start some glass work.I will have some pictures to post later in the week.
I have decided to put a slightly used 5.7 back in for now to keep the budget manageable.So if there are any out there lets here about it.
Thanks for any help,Jim

RPD
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
NJFASTEC: Not much chance your boat was a freshwater boat from Molino FL. Molino is a crossroads a few miles north of Pensacola and there are no lakes around here a big enough for a Donzi (except the Dink) ... could have been used on the Blackwater river, but not the most enticing place for a Donzi here, or maybe over in Mobile in the river delta but again, not really Donzi territory, mostly bass boats and some airboats... nearest lakes big enough are a couple hours away by trailer ....

NJFASTECH
12-29-2009, 06:47 PM
NJFASTEC: Not much chance your boat was a freshwater boat from Molino FL. Molino is a crossroads a few miles north of Pensacola and there are no lakes around here a big enough for a Donzi (except the Dink) ... could have been used on the Blackwater river, but not the most enticing place for a Donzi here, or maybe over in Mobile in the river delta but again, not really Donzi territory, mostly bass boats and some airboats... nearest lakes big enough are a couple hours away by trailer ....

Thank you,
That is good info I did a Dmv search for FL on the title and it turned up what I think is the original owner last name slater born 1941 I can assume his daughter re titled after an estate closing last name fisher both same PO box from Molino. The boat hardware just does not look like a 28 year old salt boat. I could be wrong though.
Thanks for the input it would be cool to no the history of my boat!
JIm

Rob M
12-29-2009, 08:04 PM
JIm[/QUOTE]

FYI - There are pictures of a Hornet II that is very similar in colour scheme to yours' on the Facebook fan page for Donzi. I did not study it very closely - it could even be your boat??? Search "Donzi" on Facebook to view it.

As for brochures, there are some good pics/copies under Donzi Literature at www.allardmarine.com

NJFASTECH
01-28-2010, 06:52 PM
JIm

FYI - There are pictures of a Hornet II that is very similar in colour scheme to yours' on the Facebook fan page for Donzi. I did not study it very closely - it could even be your boat??? Search "Donzi" on Facebook to view it.

As for brochures, there are some good pics/copies under Donzi Literature at www.allardmarine.com (http://www.allardmarine.com)[/quote]

I am not on Facebook so I can't acess that.

Update for me power pulled and the block is a roller cam late 90's in very good condition. Bowtie high rise intake. So what I need is starter,heads and exhaust manifolds and a new carb this will get her back on the water for this season and I will adress the rest in the fall. Anyone with things I need please reply PM.
Thanks,Jim

2donzi2
01-28-2010, 07:43 PM

As for brochures, there are some good pics/copies under Donzi Literature at www.allardmarine.com (http://www.allardmarine.com)

Update for me power pulled and the block is a roller cam late 90's in very good condition. Bowtie high rise intake. So what I need is starter,heads and exhaust manifolds and a new carb this will get her back on the water for this season and I will adress the rest in the fall. Anyone with things I need please reply PM.
Thanks,Jim[/quote]

It' actually mine. I'm on fb and joined the donzi club.

mrfixxall
01-28-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks,Jim

It' actually mine. I'm on fb and joined the donzi club.[/quote]

here ya go!

NJFASTECH
01-29-2010, 05:29 AM

Thanks,Jim

It' actually mine. I'm on fb and joined the donzi club.[/quote]

Very nice I see there is no stern rail on your boat either. What year?
Any more pictures you can post?

Thanks for the help Fixx :cool!:

BUIZILLA
01-29-2010, 07:00 AM
2donzi2...

where are you located?

2donzi2
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
I'm in Palm Coast, Florida. The boat is an 81 Hornet II, 454/330 TRS. Completely original including the interior. The only thing I had to do was the chrome and went thru the motor. Exhaust riser rotted and messed up a piston. Put new imco powerflows on it. I purchased the boat 2 years ago. Boat belonged to the original owner who passed and the boat sat in a high and dry for at least 10 years. When I purchased it was last registered in 97. More pictures on the the thread "My 81 Hornet".

BUIZILLA
01-29-2010, 07:43 AM
same colors as my Critter.. I remember this saga... very cool

if you ever want to sell, please call me first...

I have a few friends that live in Palm Coast, nice place..

NJFASTECH
01-29-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm in Palm Coast, Florida. The boat is an 81 Hornet II, 454/330 TRS. Completely original including the interior. The only thing I had to do was the chrome and went thru the motor. Exhaust riser rotted and messed up a piston. Put new imco powerflows on it. I purchased the boat 2 years ago. Boat belonged to the original owner who passed and the boat sat in a high and dry for at least 10 years. When I purchased it was last registered in 97. More pictures on the the thread "My 81 Hornet".

Wow can't believe what could still be hanging around in the estates in FL.