PDA

View Full Version : 1958 CC Silver Arrow

Greg Guimond
12-13-2009, 10:20 PM
Automotive influence of the Silver Arrow is undeniable. The sleek and modern stylings from the Dash to the hood-like fiberglass deck give this boat the appearance of speed. This was all done while staying true to the double planked hull Chris Smith & Sons Boat company was famous for. Originally configured as a Utility with the AFT area open; The 19 Ft. Chris Craft Silver Arrow was sold as a Runabout along with the Capri’s in 1958. Fewer than 100 of these magnificent boats were ever made. The most significantly unique quality of the Silver Arrows was its Fiberglass-over-wood hull. This was a first (and last) for Chris Craft. The Silver Arrow is truly a rare classic. It was originally offered with either the KBL 131 HP engine, giving it a 36 MPH top speed, or the 215 HP Dearborn Interceptor that pushed it up to 40 MPH. Originally listed for $5,290, seated five, and weighed 2,770 LBS. The Burt Collection is proud to present this extremely rare 1958 Chris Craft Silver Arrow, one of only 92 ever produced. In fact, it's even rarer than the revered Cobra of the same vintage, making it an undeniable collectable. Our boat is in excellent condition and has only very minor needs to make it show quality. The trailer shown in the pictures is optional but new with zero miles.

LKSD
12-14-2009, 08:41 AM
There was one here on our local lake that was sold a few years back. Quite rare indeed.. There was actually a Cobra a few miles down the road from me too several years ago, also quite rare.. It was basically a pattern boat. It was a shame. The only thing that was in decent condition was the fin.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

gold-n-rod
12-14-2009, 08:49 AM
The only thing that was in decent condition was the fin.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Which was made of fiberglass, I might add!

LKSD
12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
You are correct. It was.. :) Actually that part needed to be redone as well.. The thing was really a basket case.. :(

silverghost
12-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Despite its condition you should have snapped the Cobra up! I hope it is being restored by someone now.
There were only about 50 of each size Cobra built. Around 100 total.
These boats are bringing big $$$ restored.
Whatever happened to it ?
You should find out !

Re: The C~C Silver Arrow~
In 1975 there was one sitting on the marsh meadows near Patcong Creek in NJ.
I remember pulling over and walking out in the black smelly mud, and sinking halfway to my knees,, to have a look at it.
Nobody , wanted it~
I thought it was a strange looking boat and really not to my taste~ so I too let it sit !
That boat sat there for months.
Last I heard the State towed it to a nearby boatyard and it was cut-up and sent to the burn pile.
The engine sat around that yard, under a bridge overpass, for decades!

LKSD
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
Im pretty in tune with the wooden stuff. I used to do a lot of work with them. I still do some wooden stuff, just not quite as much as I have gotten more selective with who & what I let come in my shop. I am doing some stuff on a Chris craft sportsman currently.

As far as the Cobra, I knew it was sought after & expensive. The guy knew what he had too. He had all of the proper info on it, original engine & hull card. It just all needed a complete resto. The wood was all rotted, thus the pattern boat thing.. ;) But even a good 12-15 years ago he wanted over 20K for it in it's deteriorated condition. At the time there were a few restored ones fetching around 100k when the economy wasnt too jazzed up.. I dont even want to think what it would cost now to have some one like me restore a boat like that. I would have to be out of love.. :D Jamie / Lakeside

LKSD
12-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Here is a pic of what the Cobra looks like if anyone is curious or does not know.. :)

silverghost
12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
Over the last 20 years I have seen many "Grayboats " & "Pattern Boats" restored & brought back to life.
In a way it's easier than building from scratch.
At least you have a template for each part needed!
I have seen these pattern boats go from collector to collector with each one building a replica. The first guy gets all the hardware; if there was any there in he first place?
I have also seen many botched restorations.
A friend, who shall remain nameless, is "Restoring" a 1929 28' Chris~Craft triple cockpit with upswept deck.
The problem is he is having a thin strip plywood bottom glued & screwed onto the top of the original bad douuble-planked bottom.
They are using Stainless Steel deck screws & 3M 5200.
They are running these deck screws trough three bottoms into the frames.
West Systm Epoxy will be slapped on the top to finish it off!
He has the money to have it properly restored but will not do it properly as he only wants to "Flp IT'.
He has done this sort of thing before with lesser boats.
I feel sorry for anyone who buys his so-called "Restorations".
He has a knack of being able to find mahogany boats in his area.
Not many Antique boat collectors in his boating area.
What a shame to do this sort of thing to such a rare & great Chris~Craft !
It almost makes me cry ~

LKSD
12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
Over the last 20 years I have seen many "Grayboats " & "Pattern Boats" restored & brought back to life.
In a way it's easier than building from scratch.
At least you have a template for each part needed!
I have seen these pattern boats go from collector to collector with each one building a replica. The first guy gets all the hardware; if there was any there in he first place?
I have also seen many botched restorations.
A friend, who shall remain nameless, is "Restoring" a 1929 28' Chris~Craft triple cockpit with upswept deck.
The problem is he is having a thin strip plywood bottom glued & screwed onto the top of the original bad douuble-planked bottom.
They are using Stainless Steel deck screws & 3M 5200.
He has the money to have it properly restored but will not do it properly as he only wants to "Flp IT'.
He has done this sort of thing before with lesser boats.
He has a knack of being able to find them in his area.
Not many Antique boat collectors in his boating area.
What a shame to do this sort of thing to such a rare & great Chris~Craft !
It almost makes me cry ~

I have seen a good ammount of boats done like this as well. We have worked off of some pretty rough stuff as well..

I too agree it is sad when stuff is done half assed.. It is generally a bad deal for everyone when someone goes that route.. Even if it doesnt seem that way at first, long term it usually catches up to them.. I have seen some people do some shameful stuff. The sad part is it would have actually been cheaper in the long run to have spent a little more up front & have it done right. ;) Jamie

silverghost
12-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Another memorable boat he owned was a Chris~Craft Ski-Utiliy that was bought for almost nothing.
It had once had an engine fire and the inner bottom & engine bed stringers were still charred.
This boat was stripped of varnish with an electric body grinder. The result was the hullsides were badly cupped all over the place.
After this "Restortion" he decided to put it in the water for a run with his wife.
When hitting a boat wake the boat racked and twisted so badly it scared the living daylights out of his wife.
This boat needed to be re-fastened badly. The frames were very loose indeed.
He sold the "Restored" boat two weeks later for $14,000 !