PDA

View Full Version : Interesting 1996 Classic 18

Bigman99
12-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I have a line on a 1996 18 Classic. The boat is in terrific shape overall but I'm a bit confused about it. Being fairly new to the Donzi world and after spending many hours browsing this forum I can't seem to find information on the engine /drive combo the boat is equipped with. It has a Volvo 5.7GI and a Duoprop drive. Does this make sense? I've found info about 22 Classics with this combination but was this available with the 18? Perhaps added after sale or at the dealer?

I'm trying to make an educated decision. Has anyone heard of this combo being available or better yet does anyone here have a similar/identical boat so I can compare notes?

I've been trolling for a while and love this forum. I'm very excited about purchasing my first Donzi as this has been a dream of mine since I was very young. Donzi's have been in and out of my life forever but this could be the first one I've owned.

Planetwarmer
12-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I bet that is one sweet handling boat!

Tidbart
12-11-2009, 06:57 AM
I bet that is one sweet handling boat!

I would concur with Planetwarmer. Love the DuoProps. Wish I had one.

That is a 300 hp, fuel injected engine. My guess is it should run around 68 mph. Not sure if the the DP would detract from that top end, but it sure would give great handling.

I had a 96 18 with 350 mag mpi Bravo. Similar setup as the one you are looking at, just Merc with a single blade. The 18 handles like a dream with just about any setup. If you can get a good price, jump on it.

Bob

BUIZILLA
12-11-2009, 07:14 AM
pic's are VERY helpful at this point... :wink:

I am purty sure nobody here has ever seen a D-prop 18... you'll have the Holy Grail there... :cool:

MOP
12-11-2009, 07:57 AM
It seems there are a few Volvo offerings out there, Tony has a 22 and I have heard of another 22 so who knows! On thing for sure it will be an extremely dependable setup, Volvo is very critical about making sure things work and last! Grab it before someone else does!

Last Tango
12-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I would think the DuoProp would be very strong accelerating from out of the hole, and also very strong on the mid-range. It would most likely also be an excellent boat for tow sports, which is uncommon in the Classic series. As far as top end, the DuoProp and Mercury Bravo 3 drives have not been used for top end. More gears to turn and more horsepower loss via the drive. But I think it would actually be more efficient in the cruising mid-range speeds and might actually use less fuel at 40-55 than a Bravo I. However, that is just an opinion. I have never actually run any tests to that effect.
Although Volvo power is not entirely uncommom in the Classics, there is little chat over the years about DupProps on other members boats. It may be unique to this one boat. However, unique does not necessarily mean collectible.

Bigman99
12-11-2009, 08:50 AM
I secured the boat. Bought and paid for. The previous owner is storing the boat for the winter for me so not sure what kind of access I'm going to have but I will get pics asap. Based on your guys comments I'm really glad I bought it. I went through my pics and for some reason I didn't get the drive in the frame:bonk: but heres the boat anyway.

Tidbart
12-11-2009, 08:56 AM
Great looking boat. Obviously been stored inside most of its life. You are going to love it.:yes: Just a fun boat. Motor and drive combo should be bullet proof. Congrats.

B

Any idea how many hours on it? I would imagine not too many if it is used in Ontario, short boating seasons.

Bigman99
12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I would think the DuoProp would be very strong accelerating from out of the hole, and also very strong on the mid-range. It would most likely also be an excellent boat for tow sports, which is uncommon in the Classic series. As far as top end, the DuoProp and Mercury Bravo 3 drives have not been used for top end. More gears to turn and more horsepower loss via the drive. But I think it would actually be more efficient in the cruising mid-range speeds and might actually use less fuel at 40-55 than a Bravo I. However, that is just an opinion. I have never actually run any tests to that effect.
Although Volvo power is not entirely uncommom in the Classics, there is little chat over the years about DupProps on other members boats. It may be unique to this one boat. However, unique does not necessarily mean collectible.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Great info and confirms what I initially assumed. The boat will be used at my cottage. Interestingly, one of my reasons for not buying a Donzi in the past was that tow sports were an issue. Hopefully the DP will help in this regard(and make the wife happy). I will endeavor to keep you guys up on the performance and handling when I get to play around with it more in the spring.

Tango, not so worried about how collectible the boat is/will be. At this point I'm so thrilled just to own the thing that as cool as it would be if this was a unique boat it's not really a concern.

Bigman99
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Great looking boat. Obviously been stored inside most of its life. You are going to love it.:yes: Just a fun boat. Motor and drive combo should be bullet proof. Congrats.

B

Any idea how many hours on it? I would imagine not too many if it is used in Ontario, short boating seasons.

About 250 Tidbart. The boat is extremely clean and obviously well looked after. I don't think it spent anytime outside at all. You could eat off the interior. Everything was spotless. Even the rubrail had very minimal wear.

Tidbart
12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
About 250 Tidbart. The boat is extremely clean and obviously well looked after. I don't think it spent anytime outside at all. You could eat off the interior. Everything was spotless. Even the rubrail had very minimal wear.

Sweeeeet! :yes:

Other question...Is that the original motor and drive combo? I imagine it is by the looks of things.

Tidbart
12-11-2009, 09:17 AM
I would also get some 303 Protectant for the yellow if it is going to spend a lot of time out in the sun. It will help keep it from hazing. Just a suggestion.

B

MOP
12-11-2009, 09:24 AM
Not to sure if I go along with the top speed being lower, Tony's boat tops out a tad higher then same size engine Merc packages. The Volvo gear cases seem to be slicker!

boxy
12-11-2009, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure when things changed, but I do know in the early 90's boats being shipped to Ontario usually came unrigged for taxation purposes. Motors and drives were exempt from duty, but hulls and complete boats weren't. I had a 1991 Regal that was rigged by the Marina here, and my neighbour had a 26 Powerquest that was rigged with a Volvo duoprop. NAFTA has changed all that, but I.m not sure what the cut off date was. This boat may have been shipped from Donzi with out power and had the Volvo installed here....

Tidbart
12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
That would make sense. Every 96 I have seen has had a Merc.

B

Bigman99
12-11-2009, 12:09 PM
I would also get some 303 Protectant for the yellow if it is going to spend a lot of time out in the sun. It will help keep it from hazing. Just a suggestion.

B

Good advice. Will do. BTW guys, the Canadian boat theory won't work as it's a U.S. boat. Best that I can tell from the documents included with the boat is it spent it's life in NH (Winnie maybe?). The boat is most definitely fresh water only and the engine and drive are original. I have the original manuals for both the engine and drive.

Kind of a cool mystery eh?

zelatore
12-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Yellow sides/stripe with the S/S windshield frame.

My favorite. :yes:

And with the duoprop it should be a heck of a good handling boat as well.

Thumbs Up!

tice652
12-12-2009, 05:35 AM
I have the same boat - year and color - with a mer/bravo. Your engine hatch is taller than mine - If the other dimensions are the same that would be perfect for whipple clearance.

mike o
12-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Good advice. Will do. BTW guys, the Canadian boat theory won't work as it's a U.S. boat. Best that I can tell from the documents included with the boat is it spent it's life in NH (Winnie maybe?). The boat is most definitely fresh water only and the engine and drive are original. I have the original manuals for both the engine and drive.

Kind of a cool mystery eh? Im from the winni NH area. I live on the next lake 7 miles north (Squam) of winni. Its not uncommon for folks from out of state to only use their lake homes or just rent the same place for a short time frame yr after yr. So, some people's boats are in storage 50-49 weeks a year and have low hrs and look like new........:kingme:.

BigGrizzly
12-12-2009, 09:06 AM
First I will say welcome. Now I am going to say- Nice catch. Next as for the mystery it is only a curiosity point. Fact it is a nice combo in any water. As for the speed it may or may not be faster then the merc, but MUCH more durable. If I was not such a motor head I would prefer that route. Fact is I get used old thing then or keep them stock with motor work. This is a buy and drive, No issues. The biggest issue if propped incorrectly ( not likely with this boat) is getting the correct props. Most if not all Duo props I have played are pretty spot on for all conditions. Enjoy this boat just the way it is. Pictures are a MANDITORY on this site:yes::yes::yes: Again good buy.

Bigman99
12-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Thanks again everyone. Pics are coming I promise.

Jraysray
12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Welcome! Nice catch. Your boat is the only other one I have seen with the same hatch as mine. You can sort of see it here. Sorry for the cut and paste pic. Only one I had at work.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=1333

RedDog
12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
The 1990 model I used to have had the same hatch - but then it also had a big block underneath it

Jraysray
12-13-2009, 10:21 AM
The 1990 model I used to have had the same hatch - but then it also had a big block underneath it

Then that splains it to me. Mine had the same set up and its a 1990.

fogducker III
12-13-2009, 11:52 AM
Mine has the same hatch and it is a 1995......:confused:

Tony
12-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Welcome! Nice catch. Your boat is the only other one I have seen with the same hatch as mine. You can sort of see it here. Sorry for the cut and paste pic. Only one I had at work.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=59&pictureid=1333

Hatch...what hatch?

Tony
12-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I strongly agree with all those who complimented you on this purchase.
I love the color combination and the Volvo package.

Also, it is true there are very few standard Volvo packages on Donzis. With that said my 22' has a Volvo 7.4GSi/DPX setup, stock. My guess is that you have a Volvo DP and not the DPX, although both are, as mentioned, very durable and effecient. I once looked at a 16' with an aftermarket DP and it would snap your head back because it had such a great hole-shot...and mid-range thrust was very strong too. Great tow boat, as mentioned, and it will handle like it is on rails as well.

How close are you to Lake Muskoka?

:beer:

Bigman99
12-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Quite close Tony. We are on Otter Lake about five minutes south of Parry Sound. The boat will be used there and trailered occasionally elsewhere including your lake and Georgian Bay.

Thanks for the comments as well. Really looking forward to messing about with the boat but it's a long way til spring....

The Hedgehog
12-13-2009, 01:26 PM
I think that Mr Grizz is spot on. I am a motorhead too but have not performed near as many science projects as Mr Grizzley. I dunno if it would make a good whipple blown science project as you will be going where nobody has gone before.

Nice catch. It should be a great buy and drive. That is a good catch. Enjoy the boat as is. Maybe add some bling.

Please do keep us in the loop on this one. It is pretty cool and should run like it is on rails.

Bigman99
04-26-2010, 12:35 AM
Finally got a pic or two of the boat and the drive. I'm taking possession this week and can finally follow up. Looking forward to splashing the boat in two weeks or so.

Ed Donnelly
04-26-2010, 04:53 AM
Beautiful Donzi. Will you be boating on Lake Simcoe??

Don't forget the 1,000 Island get together in August.....Ed

Ranman
04-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Nice boat. I'm pretty sure that boat was at one time for sale at the now defunct Sun And Ski Marina on Cass Lake in SE Michigan.. T looked at an all yellow '96 with Volve 5.7 setup and yellow trailer. If It's not the exact same one, you have an identical twin out there somewhere.

Also , I once owned a teal 1996 18 Classic that aso had the large "bump" hatch. My theory regardng these hatches is that their creation was necessary to fit the OMC 5.0L/5.8L packages un the boats. I remember looking at Brad Lyon's boat with the OMC setup and the engine sits very high in the bay compared to Mercs therefore necessitating a taller hatch. A few years after AMH bought Donzi this big hatches disappeared in favor of one with a much smaller bump My current red '97 18 Classic has the smaller hump on the hatch.

Tony
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Based on the integrated hydraulic steering, it looks like you have a Volvo DPX. I cannot quite make out what it says on the side of the cover, but I suspect there were several versions of the DPX outdrive, produced I believe from 1996-2000.

Yours looks most like the tiny pic, second one down.
The first pic is for sale on ebay right now, the third pic is from an article introducing the DPX 600.

The bottom pic is my DPX...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifieds/files/33543_1.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40897&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1228223919

http://features.boats.com/boat-content/files/2001/05/img6424.jpg

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=28842&d=1178584843

Bigman99
04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Ed, our cottage is up in the Parry Sound region but we are actually looking at property around Lake Simcoe so I hope so. Simcoe is a lot of fun and my Donzi fetish actually began on that lake as my families first cottage was on Simcoe a thousand years ago.

Tony, the drive only says DP Duoprop. I will look at it more closely to determine exactly what we have here when I pick the boat up this week.

Thanks

Cuda
04-26-2010, 12:25 PM
Killer boat! Me like. :)

Tony
04-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Tony, the drive only says DP Duoprop. I will look at it more closely to determine exactly what we have here when I pick the boat up this week.

Thanks

What I thought were hydraulic steering rams must be the trim cylinders.
Regardless, the Volvo DP is a great drive, with thrust at all ranges and "ride-on-rails" handling.

Keep us posted with performance numbers...I bet you will love that setup.

Morgan's Cloud
04-27-2010, 09:27 AM
I liked Boxy's theory as for a possible explanation ...Also,would Donzi have done that installation at a customer's request in -96 ? I'm not so sure..
One other possible explanation is that it was a Volvo Demo boat.

In '93 at the Miami Show , Volvo had an 18 in the water for test runs with the 351 fuel injection engine and the single prop SX unit . I always assumed that they rigged the boat themselves for test/show purposes as there wasn't any Volvo options then ..

(And Tony , do I recognize one of those pictures a bit more than the others ? .. haha)

Midnightblue
05-01-2010, 06:04 PM
I've had 2 Volvo duo's. They are torque monsters-- great out of the hole and massive bite and acceleration. But because of the added prop surface and gearing in the drive, they are typically a whiff slower at the very top end.

I would think one of the advantages of a duo on an 18 is dead-neutral thrust-- the counter-rotating props don't create prop walk and rotational inertia. This would mean the boat is less likely to chine walk at top speed, or 'twist' longitudinally when you come hard on or hard off the throttle.

With big power in a small boat, I'd trade stability and responsiveness over a MPH or 2 any day of the week. You've got a gem.

Bigman99
05-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Thanks again for all the responses. Been just waiting for a little more consistency in the weather up here before the boat goes in. I will have gps numbers in a couple of weeks hopefully.

Echoing what Midnight said I knew I might be trading a few mph for a more stable boat. Better for me and I'm sure the wife will appreciate it:wink:

I'll let you guys know how it works out and maybe throw up a vid or two for fun...