PDA

View Full Version : Fastest Bottom Paint?

Goldeneyee
12-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm thinking ahead of time to next spring bottom painting. I have been looking at Interlux Vc 17 and Sea Hawk Silver Bullet. My local marine store says both are comparable and both very slippery. Years ago, I used VC 18 but it appears to be off the market; I found the VC 18 to be a very effective product. The boat will be kept in the water and used in Lake Erie. Anyone have any thoughts as to which product is the best? Thanks.... Bill

fogducker III
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
No bottom paint is best, why would you need it in "fresh" water...?

Goldeneyee
12-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, in Lake Erie we happen to have copious amounts of zebra muscles, green algae that grows faster than your lawn and various other slimes. Trust me, if your going to leave it in the water you need bottom paint...

The Hedgehog
12-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Interlux VC epoxy. It is white. You can lay it on and wet sand it. It will not cost you any speed.

Goldeneyee
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Interlux Vc epoxy will most certainly provide a slick running surface, however, it has no antifouling properties and is only recommended for rack stored or trailered boats.

VetteLT193
12-10-2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.epaint.com/products/7

mphatc
12-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I haven't heard of this e-Paint before . . . my plan on my Magnum 27 which is also a freshwater boat that stays in the water all summer, was to use the Petit Vivid white , spayed on HVLP, It's self ablative .. .
What do you folks know about the e-Paint?
Years ago I used the VC 17 with Compound X additive . . but this was on a sailboat, it was very slick!
Mario L.

realbold
12-12-2009, 09:07 AM
No bottom paint is best, why would you need it in "fresh" water...?
Salt water, fresh water, doesn't matter. An unprotected gelcoat hull kept in the water will eventually blister. You need a barrier.

MOP
12-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I disagree with a slick bottom, I was an avid sail boat racer I won the Block Island years back honest I know bottoms. Most of what read or hear is BS, I bring a point when Dennis Connor won the Americas Cup in Australia it is well known the he was not doing well at first. He had Boeing rivlets put onto the bottom this is the same thing used by aircraft manufacturers to reduce drag. When I read about it I gave up wet sanding the bottom of my race boat, a gained a consistent 2/10th of a knot. I can hear the giggles 2/10th of a knot, let me tell you on 30 mile legs it is a substantial improvement!

Let me back track a little the Boeing rivlets are what look like tiny v stripe that imprinted on very thin Mylar sheeting that is self stick. The sheeting is applied to wing surfaces to break the stiction layer, Mr Poodle and I brought up breaking the stiction layer a few years back, the last about 1/3 of my bottom has been sanded with 200 grit ans has a few others boat to relieve stiction. Do a search on the stiction layer and you see what I am talking about, the dimples on a golf ball allow it to fly about 1/4 farther in distance check this blog link: http://cr4.globalspec.com/blogentry/1512/Less-friction-from-stiction If you want the last drop of speed from your painted bottom hull this is what you do, use tha short nap roller the ones where the nap is about 3/16 to 1/4". You will be faster then a slick hull I guarantee it!

Want to slow down polish it like I did for many years until I learned!!!