PDA

View Full Version : Prop labbing

VetteLT193
12-09-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm strongly considering labbing my 26" Bravo 1 props. One reason is I got them used and they are not perfect. They aren't bad, but there are a few nicks in them. 2nd is I'd like to get more top speed. I'm running them up to 4800 RPM but peak HP is 5000. Max suggested RPM is 5200 so I have plenty of room to play upwards.

Here's the kicker. I do not want to lose cruising speed. If I lab the props will I lose cruising speed? Some guys say I will, others say I won't.

PlumCrazy
12-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Talk to Brett at bblades.com. That guy has labbed several props for me and really knows his stuff. No doubt he can tell you exactly what will work best for your boat.

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm strongly considering labbing my 26" Bravo 1 props. One reason is I got them used and they are not perfect. They aren't bad, but there are a few nicks in them. 2nd is I'd like to get more top speed. I'm running them up to 4800 RPM but peak HP is 5000. Max suggested RPM is 5200 so I have plenty of room to play upwards.

Here's the kicker. I do not want to lose cruising speed. If I lab the props will I lose cruising speed? Some guys say I will, others say I won't.

There will not be a noticeable difference in the cruise speed. Labbing the props will get you a few mph from clean stock props. You say you have a few dings just cleaning them up will be a noticeable difference, Labbing even better. I would send them out either BBlades or Throttle up in st pete have them cleaned up test them give rpms at wot with your usual passenger capacity at least 1/2 fuel then give them your RPMs at wot And then they can make the adjustments more accurately to make those 6.2's
perform at peak. I have always used Julie and Matt at Throttle Up For my race Props and pleasure props but I here good things about BBlades also.

mrfixxall
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM

my guy (you know who) just redid a well known prop guy that alot of people use..31' thunder twin blown 540's with bravo xr's imco shotries
Spinning 32p bravo 1's..Before 106 gps now solid 110 gps and it didn't affect his midrange..

The Hedgehog
12-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Cleaning up props will help.

Labbing is a crap shoot. Tex lost about 3 mph in the cruise with his ZX. On the top end he picked up nothing.

I lost a few mph of cruise on mine.

You have a good bit of blade in the water compared to other 28ZX's so it may help. It is not a big gamble but my experience is that it tends to work better on lighter boats.

One thing to consider is that you will probably have some sharp props hanging off the back. I would view that as a liability in a family truckster boat. Throttle up does not sharpen the blades that much but I am not sure that they still lab stock props these days.

I would love to try a labbed 5 blade on my ZX.

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Cleaning up props will help.

Labbing is a crap shoot. Tex lost about 3 mph in the cruise with his ZX. On the top end he picked up nothing.

I lost a few mph of cruise on mine.

You have a good bit of blade in the water compared to other 28ZX's so it may help. It is not a big gamble but my experience is that it tends to work better on lighter boats.

One thing to consider is that you will probably have some sharp props hanging off the back. I would view that as a liability in a family truckster boat. Throttle up does not sharpen the blades that much but I am not sure that they still lab stock props these days.

I would love to try a labbed 5 blade on my ZX.
When I had my 28's labbed on my 292 fastech I saw 74.5 GPS with the 6.2's over the stock version 69 70 at best. Then the 353 Fastech went to labbed 29 Hydros over stock 30 b1's and jumped a solid 5 mph with the 500 efi's to 85 mph.As for the cruise i just didn't see a signifigant difference because you always have throttle at midrange and the smile you get when you drop the hammer is worth the labbing.As for the family
these are not drives you want bouncing in the sand so at anchor keep them tucked in and the kids will be fine. It is kinda like don't touch the stove that is hot kinda thing.:wink: I never had Julie turn my stock props away.:propeller:

The Hedgehog
12-15-2009, 08:09 PM
When I had my 28's labbed on my 292 fastech I saw 74.5 GPS with the 6.2's over the stock version 69 70 at best. Then the 353 Fastech went to labbed 29 Hydros over stock 30 b1's and jumped a solid 5 mph with the 500 efi's to 85 mph.As for the cruise i just didn't see a signifigant difference because you always have throttle at midrange and the smile you get when you drop the hammer is worth the labbing.As for the family
these are not drives you want bouncing in the sand so at anchor keep them tucked in and the kids will be fine. It is kinda like don't touch the stove that is hot kinda thing.:wink: I never had Julie turn my stock props away.:propeller:

Don't touch the stove. I like that. I may have to borrow that one.

I talked to Julie when I was dialing in the ZX. She said that they were still working over props but recommended Brett for the whole trial program. The last I heard is that they were closed for the season. I hope that that was the case and not worse. I heard that they had a nice CNC product.

The Hedgehog
12-15-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok, so I dug around. It seems that Throttle up is back and open for business.

NJFASTECH
12-15-2009, 08:33 PM
Ok, so I dug around. It seems that Throttle up is back and open for business.

I wish I could help with test props but I sold them all off after offing the big boats I had at least 15 k labbed sitting on the bench. I am really syked about cleaning a 20 footer opposed to 35 footer.FYI My expierence with Throttle up was purchase a prop test give the numbers have it labbed re-test and one free adjustment lean times may have changed things. But they were great to deal with!
Nice chating,JIm

VetteLT193
12-16-2009, 08:38 AM
my guy (you know who) just redid a well known prop guy that alot of people use..31' thunder twin blown 540's with bravo xr's imco shotries
Spinning 32p bravo 1's..Before 106 gps now solid 110 gps and it didn't affect his midrange..

can you post your guy's info again? I can't find it. I want to get in touch with him to get a price on labbing and/or a basic prop clean up.

I did get these props used so there are a couple dings and a few scratches in them. They are way nicer than I expected considering the $150 bucks I paid for the pair.

I have to agree on the sharpening of the blades. It's already slippery back there and the sandbar I go to isn't friendly to a drive down situation. With that said I might do a cleanup on these for regular cruising then do something with the new wheels from Donzi for top end / poker run type events.

mrfixxall
12-16-2009, 10:00 AM
can you post your guy's info again? I can't find it. I want to get in touch with him to get a price on labbing and/or a basic prop clean up.

I did get these props used so there are a couple dings and a few scratches in them. They are way nicer than I expected considering the $150 bucks I paid for the pair.

I have to agree on the sharpening of the blades. It's already slippery back there and the sandbar I go to isn't friendly to a drive down situation. With that said I might do a cleanup on these for regular cruising then do something with the new wheels from Donzi for top end / poker run type events.

he usually charges me $225.00 for a three blade & $250.00 for a 4 blade with a free one time adjustment which is usually not needed!
Also theirs no hidden cost of doing this or that he is up front on everything,labbed ballancing,true blades polishing yadda yadda yadda,250.00 + the ride..

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=59674

NJFASTECH
12-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I raced with OPA 3 years and always dialed the props for race and then did the same for my pleasure 2 sets of props will never hurt you I had 4 and my favorite were never labbed 5 blade Hydros ,Sold the boat.Everyting I could do to get to the exact edge RPM we did even sent them back a couple times to get those props right on the limiter.:wink:

NJFASTECH
12-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Don't touch the stove. I like that. I may have to borrow that one.

I talked to Julie when I was dialing in the ZX. She said that they were still working over props but recommended Brett for the whole trial program. The last I heard is that they were closed for the season. I hope that that was the case and not worse. I heard that they had a nice CNC product.

Don't touch the stove:wink: no serious when people are on the boat and don't know whats hanging out the back I always told them again and again even when the labbs were on But it was generally my wife and I or 87 minx and a friend.
Jim

VetteLT193
12-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I raced with OPA 3 years and always dialed the props for race and then did the same for my pleasure 2 sets of props will never hurt you I had 4 and my favorite were never labbed 5 blade Hydros ,Sold the boat.Everyting I could do to get to the exact edge RPM we did even sent them back a couple times to get those props right on the limiter.:wink:

I'll have 2 sets of props for sure. I don't know what the other set will be yet. I read the build sheet for the boat and what was listed is referred to as "4R". I am wondering if it was supposed to get Revolution 4's instead of M+'s. I'm waiting to hear back from Donzi. I wasn't in a rush and thought I'd take the boat back to them for warranty but when I called yesterday they said they would ship the props and they want me to take the boat to a local place.