PDA

View Full Version : Krylon Fusion

The Hedgehog
12-09-2009, 06:13 AM
I was reading Dick B's thread about the work he was doing on his Bennett tab indicator. (BTW I am pretty impressed with the detail he is doing on that project).

Anyway, I noticed he used Krylon Fusion. At the advice of Eddie Young, I used black Fusion on my Billet Top cap for my XR. I went with Anodized Black as a color when I purchased it. It looked pretty cool but I quickly learned that anodized black does not hold up very well to the rigors of a drive cap. The cap is interally cooled and works well but is subjected to some pretty strong cleaners on the transom.

Well after a year I was able to clean up all the other parts except that top cap. In order to bring it back, I simply cleaned it well with a deglosser and shot it with black Fusion. After the end of the season it still looks like it has been freshly painted and better than that anodized black by a pretty good margin. After the success with the top cap, I will attack a few more parts next year.

VetteLT193
12-09-2009, 06:51 AM
I thought that stuff was for plastic. Good to hear it's good on metal too, I wouldn't have tried it.

Cuda
12-09-2009, 07:05 AM
It's pretty damn tough. You find that out when you get some on your hands.

DickB
12-09-2009, 07:37 AM
It's pretty damn tough. You find that out when you get some on your hands.
I've been painting, staining, and varnishing for lots of years, but only recently started using disposable gloves. A box of 100 is about 5 bucks on sale and lasts a long time. It's one of those things that I wonder why I didn't do years ago.

gcarter
12-09-2009, 08:09 AM
Can't do w/out gloves.
For instance, uncured epoxy is toxic as all get out.
I like the blue "Thickster" gloves. they're about two or three times as thick as the typical latex gloves.
A box of 100 cost about $15.00, but I find they are worth it.

The Hedgehog
12-09-2009, 09:41 AM
I thought that stuff was for plastic. Good to hear it's good on metal too, I wouldn't have tried it.

Me too. Like Cuda says, it is pretty tough.

joseph m. hahnl
12-09-2009, 04:05 PM
If it is for plastic! That makes it flexable paint . :superman: