PDA

View Full Version : Alpha trim pump

BlakeSullivan
12-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Well my trim pump is working fine one the way down but it take almost 3 minutes to come back up, it makes a loud whine noise . its a 1998 donzi 16 sixteen with a 4.3 and a alpha drive any idea of the possible problem thanks for any input blake sullivan

Planetwarmer
12-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Loud whine noise in a hydraulic pump is an indicator of air in the pump/lines, or the pump just needs to be replaced. Silly question :have you checked the fluid level? Does it sound like a bad power steering pump in a car?

BlakeSullivan
12-08-2009, 10:32 PM
yeah the fluid is full and clean but sorry i didnt specify

MOP
12-09-2009, 03:53 AM
Before you condemn the pump try pulling the trim ram pin at the back of the drive, once you have it out lift the drive by hand it should be fairly easy to lift and have no binding feel to it. To me what you are describing sounds more like the drive is binding at its pivot points, possibly even the ram pins and bushing also. The loud squeal is the fluid by passing the check valves.

Phil

BeauNeese
12-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I am working on buying my first Donzi and am really excited !! The guy I am going to buy it from said it will do over 70 mph. It has a 454 with a alpha 1 outdrive. Is that possible ?

Planetwarmer
12-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I am working on buying my first Donzi and am really excited !! The guy I am going to buy it from said it will do over 70 mph. It has a 454 with a alpha 1 outdrive. Is that possible ?

:hijack:try making a new thread in the Donzi Performance section, you will have a lot more responses. In this thread, people are looking to answer an Alpha 1 trim pump question.

It is possible for the 25 foot 454/Alpha combo to go 70mph, but it needs some fairly serious power. Mine is an 87' 22C (all stock 330 hp) with the same engine/drive combo and it will do 63.5 mph. I am assuming that my boat is substantially lighter as well. If the boat is stock that you are looking at, it will probably do mid to upper 50s. That sounds like a heavy boat to have enough power to go 70, and not destroy drives if not driven with care. Have it checked out thoroughly before you buy the boat.

Ghost
12-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Am i not in the donzi performance thread

You are in the "Donzi Performance Talk" section.

But I think he was suggesting you start a new thread in this section. This thread is about an alpha trim pump question. You should see a "New Thread" button if you get to the main "Donzi Performance Talk" page (http://www.donzi.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10).

Regards,

Mike