PDA

View Full Version : 1982 Hornet - no reserve on ebay

HOWARD O
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Dang, looks like a pretty dang clean fixer upper. Can't figure out what is with the deck stripe at the bow though. Why is this boat a port helm?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-Hornet-II-Donzi-Trlr-Merc-350-SOLID-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2304282c3cQQite mZ150393596988QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

Just Say N20
12-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Lots of pictures. And the ad text.

Just Say N20
12-03-2009, 08:36 PM
A few more.

2donzi2
12-03-2009, 10:53 PM
I thought the same thing. Mine is an 81 and its a starboard helm. Neat boat, but wouldn't really want the alpha on it.

mrfixxall
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
it probably had a volvo on it at one time..

Izzy
12-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Dang, looks like a pretty dang clean fixer upper. Can't figure out what is with the deck stripe at the bow though. Why is this boat a port helm?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Donzi-Hornet-II-Donzi-Trlr-Merc-350-SOLID-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2304282c3cQQite mZ150393596988QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats
Hi Howard:shades:

At the time this boat was built (during the Chisholm Reign), virtually every Donzi was built on a "sold order" basis. Ordered and customized to the Buyer's wishes through a small network of Dealers around the counrty. Deck stripes (front and back) were standard fair although colors and color combinations came from a wide array of choices. Typically the piping on the bolsters matched the deck stripe color. There were very, very few options aside from color selection, but virtually any marine engine available could be ordered and Donzi guaranteed the hull regardless of the hp (at the time Flagship built a 1000hp Chev BB that ran on Av Gas).

Right off, I can think of four reasons this boat has a port helm [helm side is determined by rotation of engine/prop due to the need to counter-act the prop forced rolling and turning of the boat (if you have ever driven one of these small, single screw powerboats offshore, in 5-6 seas, wide open, at 60+ mph you understand), this is why twin screw vessels have right and left hand rotation engines/screws]:
1) This engine is not original to boat (Holman & Moody/Penta set-ups were were typically reverse rotation in the Donzi). Due to the lack of pictures of either the prop or the engine firing order stamping it is impossible to tell if this is the correct set-up for this boat. Actually there is nothing stock looking about this engine.
2) The Buyer was left handed (if I were, this is the set-up I would want because of the left hand throttle/shifter location).
3) John (Chisholm) had a spare or cancelled order, reverse rotation set-up that he made some Buyer a deal on, or one of his competitors to either side or down the street, made him a deal on one of their left overs. If you've every visited NE 188th Street you'd understand how this might happen.
4) This boat may have been built for John, his brother, or a key employee. John lived on a canal and came to work everyday in a Donzi! (I know, I waited for him and watched him come in one morning to a meeting I had with him.)

I grew up through the sixties and early seventies on the water and consequently (even though I was up North on the Ohio River) worshiped the Moppies and Donzies and Cigarettes. When I had an opportunity to become a Donzi Dealer (probably their youngest ever at 25) in Houston in 1978, I couldn't pass up the chance. BTW, for those of you who don't know, and I believe this to be factual based on the source, the name Donzi, came about at the founding of Donzi, by Don's Secretary who always called and referred to him as "Donzi Baby!".

For a little more history of the early years of Miami/Ft Lauderdale powerboating I came across this link for an interesting article:

webpages.charter.net/vrod02/glam%20boats.pdf

Donzi Vol
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Nice, interesting boat, but...I'm so confused...

Just Say N20
12-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Hi Howard:shades:

BTW, for those of you who don't know, and I believe this to be factual based on the source, the name Donzi, came about at the founding of Donzi, by Don's Secretary who always called and referred to him as "Donzi Baby!".

webpages.charter.net/vrod02/glam%20boats.pdf

If Mattyboy were around, he would "correct" you about where the name DONZI came from. Your version is one of the many, but I don't believe it to be the correct one.

BTW, welcome to the site! :biggrin:

Izzy
12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
If Mattyboy were around, he would "correct" you about where the name DONZI came from. Your version is one of the many, but I don't believe it to be the correct one.

BTW, welcome to the site! :biggrin:
Thanks for the welcome!

Took the name story to be factual as it came directly from the lips of John Chisholm when we had our first meeting! Would love to hear Mattyboy's version!

Conquistador_del_mar
12-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Took the name story to be factual as it came directly from the lips of John Chisholm when we had our first meeting! Would love to hear Mattyboy's version!

Your version with the secretary calling him Donzi baby is the one I have always heard, too. Bill

Just Say N20
12-06-2009, 10:38 AM
And for the record, that is the version that I heard too.

I had a fraternity brother that was neighbors of the Aronows. During one spring break we walked by his house, and you could see a "built" camero (if I remember right) in the garage. My friend said it built for Don by Mark Donahue, as Don had built him a Donzi. I have no idea if the story was true, as this guy was as far from being a gearhead as you could be, but there was the car with the "This car was made especially for Don Aronow by Mark Donahue" tag on the dash.

He also said Don was called Donzi by his secretary, and that is where the name came from.

justleft
12-06-2009, 03:50 PM
The Hornet is still cheap. What do ya think the snipers will take it up to ?

Always loved the the Hornet lines.

Izzy
12-07-2009, 02:13 AM
And for the record, that is the version that I heard too.
So what's Mattyboy's version? lol

And what do you believe to be the correct one? You haven't said!

onesubdrvr
12-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Donzi , the name came by way of an article in a magazine that called the interior of the formula boats Don was building at the time were very nice and fashionable, a review far too girly for a macho guy like Don, when Don's friend and record producer Morris Levy read the article he was ribbing Don on it , in a falsetto voice Oh Donzi what a lovely interior hence the name Donzi . (coutesy Michael Aronow author of Don Aronow King of Thunderboat Row page 38 and 40)

NJFASTECH
12-07-2009, 05:46 PM
the hornet is still cheap. What do ya think the snipers will take it up to ?

Always loved the the hornet lines.

NJFASTECH
12-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Hmm, news to follow

Just Say N20
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Come on, spill the beans. . . . :biggrin:

NJFASTECH
12-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Come on, spill the beans. . . . :biggrin:

Okay it is coming home to NJ this weekend can't wait to survey it when it arrives got to get into the bilge first. I will have lots of questions to ask as far as what number hull want to see the title index to see how many owners she had.Who needs a trailer steel is not conducsive for me.Oh it is on!:crossfing::shades: Never thought I would get the bid in with 1 second when it popped up I won the auction I nearly Chit.

LKSD
12-08-2009, 06:25 PM
Congrats on the win. It looks like it has a lot of potential! :) Jamie / Lakeside

BUIZILLA
12-08-2009, 06:55 PM
best deal this year IMO

2donzi2
12-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Went much cheaper than I thought. I love mine. Probably (in my opinion) the best riding Donzi produced. I love mine more everytime i'm in it. Best of luck with it.

NJFASTECH
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks guys, I am really anxious to see it. Reached out to uship.com and got a great price from a positive feedback hauler cheaper than I could do myself. Weather setting in is bad but I told him set back a day or two if needed. New winter project! I will keep you posted. Never expected this to go off at this price. :shocking:Hoping for the best here.
Thanks,Jim

Just Say N20
12-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Congratulations!

It looks like you got a GREAT deal and a very fun boat.

NJFASTECH
12-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Okay the Hornet landed 1st question Vin is DMR200650182 What number hull is it? It is dark and cold so I will get to crawl around it in the am.

Thanks,Jim

Rob M
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Based on what you provided, I would say hull number 65 made in January 1982.

Izzy
12-16-2009, 08:32 AM
Okay the Hornet landed 1st question Vin is DMR200650182 What number hull is it? It is dark and cold so I will get to crawl around it in the am.

Thanks,Jim
Hey Jim,

How 'bout keeping this goin' in a new thread? Really want to know everything! Hope you really stole this one!

:germany: Izzy

NJFASTECH
12-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Hey Jim,

How 'bout keeping this goin' in a new thread? Really want to know everything! Hope you really stole this one!

:germany: Izzy

Well I did in Performance talk hoping to get some help from everybody! I think I did Okay it needs power thats easy Just want to clean it up for this year and move on to split the boat in the fall and bring it back to new and keep it stock vintage as possible.
Jim

NJFASTECH
12-16-2009, 08:03 PM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60768

Here it is so the mods don't have to. I started a new thread.

I really would appreciate any help with photos,history etc.
Matty the trailer is a 7 of a 10 galv.painted I am sending to a local fabricator to take care of it tongue needs to be done right from there back it is a 10. I may just keep this in place.

mattyboy
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
So what's Mattyboy's version? lol

And what do you believe to be the correct one? You haven't said!

not really my version it is Michael Aronow's version who was around at the conception of Donzi with his father. Izzy the version you heard is more urban legend and probably based in truth in some way but got distorted along the way.

in order for his secretary to give him the name an the idea for the name DONZI she would have had to have worked either in NJ at his contracting business prior to 1962 or would have had to work at formula marine in 63 to 64.

I do think the nickname "Donzi baby" might have been given to Don by his secretary and might have given Don the name for his 14 foot model. It might have even given Don the idea to build a pink 16 with a 6 cyl motor for this secretary.

But all of this was after the company was named DONZI the 14 foot production was started in 66.

If anyone has the chance to read or pick up Michael's book do it it has some great info on Don's Early days

sorry I am "correcting" again

NJFasttech good luck with the boat Don't worry about the trailer I was thinking your hornet is a foot or so longer than mine so the trailer is too big for mine. hope it works out for you and get it running . drag it up to the dustoff this year should be a big turn out for hornets . we are trying to get as many as possible up there for a record

if you need anything or have any questions I can help with let me know :)

joseph m. hahnl
12-31-2009, 04:47 PM
:crossfing:
Okay it is coming home to NJ this weekend can't wait to survey it when it arrives got to get into the bilge first. I will have lots of questions to ask as far as what number hull want to see the title index to see how many owners she had.Who needs a trailer steel is not conducsive for me.Oh it is on!:crossfing::shades: Never thought I would get the bid in with 1 second when it popped up I won the auction I nearly Chit.

:worthy::party::shades::bighug::drive::propeller:: hyper::eek::shocker::shocking::toiletpap:doh::wren ch::bawling::computer::smash:

NJFASTECH
01-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks Joe, it was and is exciting!