PDA

View Full Version : 1982 WetBike

DickB
12-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I picked this WetBike up at a good price towards the end of the season. I only had it out twice. The first time it was not running well and I never got it up on plane. I sorted out a few minor carb problems and got it running well the last good weekend of the season. These watercraft are not as easy to ride as your typical Jet Ski. Although I owned a stand-up Jet Ski some time back, it took me a half-dozen tries to get going on this, but then I was able to ride for about a half hour.

The Wetbike was in generally good mechanical condition, but the hull was cosmetically a mess. I initially intended to paint it, but the only serious damage was the chip you can see to the right of the "Arctic Wetbike" logo on the front, so I decided to try a gelcoat repair and wet sanding. I got a gelcoat patch kit for the chips and was able to match color OK. I stripped all of the graphics with a 3M eraser wheel. You can see the original gel coat color under the decals and the faded and discolored gel adjacent. I wet sanded the whole upper body using 220, then 400, 600, and 1000 sandpaper, followed by polishing with Meguiare's machine cut compound. The results looked good, so I decided to restore (pretty much) the stock graphics and look. I painted the stripes with Krylon spray cans (!) and cut vinyl lettering with a Silhouette SD computer-controlled paper and vinyl cutter.

I'm waiting to hear from another WetBiker about possibly getting a reproduction seat cover as mine needs to be replaced.

CHACHI
12-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Dick, James Bond rode one in one of the flicks. I think it was a Roger Moore movie, you are in elite company.

Suzuki powered, no?

Ken

DickB
12-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Yes, in "The Spy Who Loved Me". I'm a big Bond fan and have seen all the movies many times. The bike does use a Suzuki 2-cylinder outboard powerhead. The earlier bikes like mine were 50 hp, later 60.

MOP
12-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Cool and very unique nice job on the resto, may also make you feel like you have a license to kill!

silverghost
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Parts for these WetBikes are a bit tough to find as they stopped building them when the waverunner style PWCs took over the market.
These are a real blast to ride! They ride on a front ski-like hydrofoil; and lift partially up out of the water. Just like a motorcycle on the water~thus it's name!
I have not seen one of these WetBikes around these parts in over ten years !

I rode one several times when they first came out many years ago. My cousins had/have two~ I believe they still have them in storage; but doubt they are still running as they wreck everything they own! (Charter Members of "The More Money Than Brains Club")
My uncle used to have his 5 y/o grandson ride on his shoulders then stand-up while on plane! They put on a real watershow ! I thought this was very risky !
It's a trickey machine to ride at first; hard to learn how to balance at first~But you will soon get used to it's handling. Not at all good in rough water or near boat wakes.
They used special designed WetBike trailers to tow them around~ These show-up for sale from time to time.
Some parts are around from former dealers, & web sorces; and some pop-up on eBay from time to time. Engine parts can be found at motorcycle & outboard dealers.
Parts machines are around from time to time for very little money. Jet pump repair parts are very hard to find; so don't run it in very low water under 1 1/2' and suck-in sand, shells, stones etc or it will damage the jet-pump !
If you get too much clearance between impeller and wear band ring due to sucking-in sand etc. the pump pressure drops fast.
I would think you might find an old seat around from a scrapped machine; or possibly you can re-cover your old seat with vinyl and 3M spay glue adhesive. Heat vinyl with hair-dryer or heat gun to help it conform to seat contours.
Good Luck &
Have Fun Mr Bond !

A WetBike also appeared in one of the infamous Police Academy movies with a famous & fun on- water chase. I believe the black- sound effects actor guy,( don't remember his name), rode it in that wild movie.

silverghost
12-03-2009, 02:26 PM
Just for fun I did a web search for you and found
WWW.WETBIKE.NET (http://www.WETBIKE.NET) a site dedicated to restoration and preservation of the existing WetBikes!
Great Site & Forum !
Also Parts exchange~
They claim few WetBikes are still operating today !

silverghost
12-03-2009, 06:18 PM
One of the problem issues these old two-stroke WetBikes have are stuck ,gummy, carboned-up reed valves.
If your engine won't get up to proper speed I first suggest you use a two-stroke engine De-carbon spray like Valve-Tech. from marine dealers.
Spray as per directions and wait~ then start & run engine~ Repeat.
This and gummed-up carb problems seem to be another issue with these old two-stoke WetBikes !
SEAT VINYL~
If your seat is sound but just faded, or you just want to change it's color you can buy spray "vinyl Dye" at most any auto parts store. Dupli-Color and others come to mind.
It is really a special Vinyl paint for car interiors that works very well to freshen-up faded vinyl and plastic parts. Seats, dashes, door handles etc.
If not~ It's fairly easy to re-cover your old seat yourself !
Auto Interior guys might also do this for you! There are also motorcycle seat guys around who do this sort or restoration/repair.
Check the web for this service.
Re-covering this seat is almost the same as re-covering a motorcycle seat.
Best Of Luck !

DickB
12-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Wetbike.net has several active members who have a stash of used parts. It is apparently not uncommon for people to get one bike, then another and another. Many used parts and even some new ones are relatively easy to obtain through this resource. For example, the previous owner of mine had just installed a new impeller and wear ring, and I was able to get new handles below the seat although in red not the original (on my bike) white. I also got a used handlebar (mine was bent) and new front suspension bushings. As you say, motor parts are also readily available.

The seat cover was torn and worn at the corners and beyond repair. Also the substrate had its corners broken off, and someone had run carriage bolts right through the top of the vinyl to "fix" this. Plus the closed-cell foam appears to have shrunk away from the edges. It was ugly. The original cover had a particular pattern embossed into the surface, and one of the fellows on wetbike.net is looking to getting a reproduction made. If he is successful, I will go that route. Otherwise, I will likely take it to an upholsterer. It could also be a do-it-yourself job, as the seat is fairly flat and it it almost a matter of simply wrapping vinyl around the top and stapling it to the substrate from below.

As most of these machines are 20+ years old, many have been reupholstered and painted, most often in custom schemes. There is a wide variety of color schemes out there. Here are a few of my favorites, courtesy of wetbike.net:

DickB
06-18-2010, 06:26 PM
The reproduction seat didn't pan out, so I ended up replacing the foam and recovering it myself. It's not the greatest job, but it will do for now. I'm keeping my eye out for a good original seat. The seat style changed in later years, and there are still some brand new seat cushions available for that style, but not my earlier style.

Last fall I went through the carbs, and now the motor starts and runs great. I've had the Wetbike out a few times this spring and have been getting a little more comfortable riding it. Came close to wiping out last time but managed to pull myself back upright without spilling. Still have a lot to learn.

Wetbikers have an annual rally in Oklahoma; this year's was last weekend. I may go sometime, but did not this year as we went to AWOTH and one long trip like that is enough.

This is not my usual tow vehicle, but it works in a pinch!

ITTLFLI
06-22-2010, 07:54 AM
Very COOL!:wink:

McGary911
06-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Cool. I had an old Revell plastic model that had a turbo mustang + 2 wetbikes just like yours on a trailer.

You did a great job on it. Bet it gets tons of looks.

DickB
06-24-2010, 08:07 AM
I've see pictures of that kit, and I believe one was on eBay not too long ago. Yes, it does get looks. A lot of people have never seen one and don't know what it is.