PDA

View Full Version : swaping aq 200 to 270

lordviper13
12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
ok so I swaped the drive on the 16 and one minor problem is that the 200 had the bolt hole down the middle to lock the prop cone on the 270 does not have this. other than that it was straight foreward and for 450 for the whole drive I can't complain

mrfixxall
12-02-2009, 09:42 PM
ok so I swaped the drive on the 16 and one minor problem is that the 200 had the bolt hole down the middle to lock the prop cone on the 270 does not have this. other than that it was straight foreward and for 450 for the whole drive I can't complain

you could drill and tap the newer prop shaft to accept the prop cone with the hole in it ..drill slow!!!

lordviper13
12-03-2009, 01:09 AM
yeah I had the same idea but it makes me nervous that I will screw it up. I also thought about some loctite and just tighten it good

mrfixxall
12-03-2009, 10:11 AM
yeah I had the same idea but it makes me nervous that I will screw it up. I also thought about some loctite and just tighten it good

i ran mine for many years like that if your spinning a lefty prop! But since i have many ultra ss props and their hard to come by i feel safer with the prop shaft drilled now..use lots of oil and drill slow and steady,use a 5/16 drill bit with the cone installed just to find the center then down size to the correct bit for tapping, drill about 1'' in and start tapping...remember yake your time and you can do it:)

lordviper13
12-03-2009, 10:23 AM
sounds like a plan, unless the shafts on the 200 are the same as a 270. yes I am spinning a lefty and it has not come off yet but I too like the prop I am running (22p stainless hill) and don't want to loose it

MOP
12-03-2009, 10:51 AM
What every you do use cutting oil or kerosene to lube and cool the bit, the use if regular oil shortened the life of the bit dramaticly!!!!!

lordviper13
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
yeah I have some cool tool cutting fluid, just not crazy about drilling the shaft with a hand drill

MOP
12-03-2009, 11:18 AM
yeah I have some cool tool cutting fluid, just not crazy about drilling the shaft with a hand drill

Hand drill is a true labor of hate!!! Try get your hands on more modern equipment!

lordviper13
12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
ok I think either I state that wrong or you took it wrong. I mean a drill that is not a drill press

mrfixxall
12-03-2009, 12:43 PM
ok I think either I state that wrong or you took it wrong. I mean a drill that is not a drill press

As i stated use lots of oil:) i used a cordless drill,use the screw settings where it ratchets if the bit gets into a bind,this way it wont brake the drill bit..

MOP
12-03-2009, 12:51 PM
As i stated use lots of oil:) i used a cordless drill,use the screw settings where it ratchets if the bit gets into a bind,this way it wont brake the drill bit..

Mile I have done a bit of machining over the years using regular oils ruins lathe and drill bits! You will never see a professional use oil for any mechanical cutting.

mrfixxall
12-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Mile I have done a bit of machining over the years using regular oils ruins lathe and drill bits! You will never see a professional use oil for any mechanical cutting.

abbreviation,,sorry i didn't use the correct term:) yes the correct method is cutting oil.

i use ridgid nuclear cutting oil..works great! :)

lordviper13
12-03-2009, 05:33 PM
ok thanks guys I will give it a shot I really would hate to not be able to use this prop just because it uses a different cone