PDA

View Full Version : car remote start

VetteLT193
12-02-2009, 10:24 AM
Anyone familiar with remote starters for cars?

I want to add one to my Navigator. I read some things about adding a simple system that uses your current key fob (hit lock 3 times?)... I like this because I think they should be cheaper and I want the factory key fobs to work because of the powered tailgate.

Any suggestions on what to buy? Tips on installation? I did a bunch of searching but it's hard to find good info. Just looking for a low cost basic system for cold days.

mrfixxall
12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone familiar with remote starters for cars?

I want to add one to my Navigator. I read some things about adding a simple system that uses your current key fob (hit lock 3 times?)... I like this because I think they should be cheaper and I want the factory key fobs to work because of the powered tailgate.

Any suggestions on what to buy? Tips on installation? I did a bunch of searching but it's hard to find good info. Just looking for a low cost basic system for cold days.

Vette, save yourself the headache and have it installed.all the newer cars and trucks have to have a module programed for all the accessories,door locks,ignition pass lock etc..i use to do them in the 90's but the cars nowadays have everything going through the bcm(body control module) one false move and its junk,then the dealer will have to reprogram a new one and install it in your nav..

VetteLT193
12-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Vette, save yourself the headache and have it installed.all the newer cars and trucks have to have a module programed for all the accessories,door locks,ignition pass lock etc..i use to do them in the 90's but the cars nowadays have everything going through the bcm(body control module) one false move and its junk,then the dealer will have to reprogram a new one and install it in your nav..

My dealer consists of a bunch of idiots. raging idiots. If it is possible to do it myself I'd much rather go that route.

mrfixxall
12-02-2009, 11:02 AM
your pm is full!

CaribouLou
12-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Have it installed by a trained tech. Also, go with a DEI brand (viper, Ungo, etc).

LeadSledMerc
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Have it installed by a trained tech. Also, go with a DEI brand (viper, Ungo, etc).
I agree with both of Cariboulou's recomendations 110%...

I've installed a couple of remote starters and had several others installed.
For the price the professional shops that sell them, charge you to install and program them, it's not worth even considering doing it yourself.

Look in the yellow pages for a remote starter/alarm comapny that sells the Viper brand and you can't go wrong.

mrfixxall
12-02-2009, 12:19 PM
auto page is another good one,its been on my sub for 10 yrs and no issues yet..

VetteLT193
12-02-2009, 02:30 PM
I'll see if I can call later. i'm not too much of a phone person :bonk: I get too many PM's, I half gave up on them.

wannabe
12-02-2009, 07:57 PM

Trained techs are non existent. Bass heads that do sub boxes also do the car starts. The larger companies have manufacturer specific tech books and online support. Navigators were not simple with all the anti theft and bells and whistles that they have. Got out of the bizz in 2000. Go somewhere that does alot of them.

DickB
12-02-2009, 11:34 PM
I read some things about adding a simple system that uses your current key fob (hit lock 3 times?)... I like this because I think they should be cheaper and I want the factory key fobs to work because of the powered tailgate.
Two comments about this that may or may not apply in your case. First, the range of the factory fob is usually not great - maybe as little as 20 ft. You may want to start your vehicle from a greater distance than you want to unlock it. For example, I would start mine from my 2nd floor office. Second, I'd recommend a 2-way fob, so that you get confirmation back when the vehicle starts (or doesn't).

VetteLT193
12-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I really don't want to lose any features... the big one being the factory power hatch. Lugging the kids around doing grocery shopping or whatever we use that feature more than anything. Lincoln makes a specific kit for my navigator and even with that one you lose the power hatch button. I have no clue what they were thinking.

I think I'll look around today to see if I can find a good stereo shop in the area.

wannabe
12-03-2009, 07:48 AM
Two comments about this that may or may not apply in your case. First, the range of the factory fob is usually not great - maybe as little as 20 ft. You may want to start your vehicle from a greater distance than you want to unlock it. For example, I would start mine from my 2nd floor office. Second, I'd recommend a 2-way fob, so that you get confirmation back when the vehicle starts (or doesn't).

You can throw a ball farther than most factory fobs. Those add on units just to get you in the door. Most people don't want to use two fobs and that's where the price gets uglier. A nice unit installed with two fobs and good distance(1000 ft. line of sight) with door locks and a anti theft bypass unit(extra cost) should be at least $500 if properly installed.

wannabe
12-03-2009, 07:52 AM
I really don't want to lose any features... the big one being the factory power hatch. Lugging the kids around doing grocery shopping or whatever we use that feature more than anything. Lincoln makes a specific kit for my navigator and even with that one you lose the power hatch button. I have no clue what they were thinking.

I think I'll look around today to see if I can find a good stereo shop in the area.

I believe Ford was buying their car starts From DEI and inflating the cost. We installed a few for a dealer. This was in 2000 for what its worth.

HOWARD O
12-03-2009, 08:40 AM
I installed one on my F250 about 5 years ago. My truck didn't have a remote at all and I needed to wire into the power door locks. It allows me to run the glow plugs for a set amount of time before starting, allows me to keep the truck running and take out the keys if I want to run into the store, etc. Range is great, I can start it from inside a supermarket, for example. It cost $70 to the door back then and has worked flawlessly ever since.

BUT, having said that, it took me 2 full days to install it, including trying to get wiring diagrams online, etc. Royal PIA. Your truck has got to be much easier because I believe most stuff is already there and ready. Maybe not plug 'n play, but got to be pretty close.

Here's where I bought mine, but like I said, that was 5 years ago. Was happy with their customer service for DIY'ers too.

http://www.crimestopper.com/2009/main.htm

motorcity
12-05-2009, 04:56 PM
I believe Ford was buying their car starts From DEI and inflating the cost. We installed a few for a dealer. This was in 2000 for what its worth.

Code Alarm makes Fords system. Code Alarm was bought out by Audiovox.

Compustar make a very good remote starter. Mine has a 1/4 distance. I was able to start my truck from the bggage claim area at the airport and by the time I got to my truck, I would have a warm vehicle.

wrussellw
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
My son's friend and he decided to install a remote starter on his 2000 Dodge pickup. Of course my friend, his dad had no idea. Because it was a standard they had to by-pass the clutch switch to prevent it starting in gear. Seems his son decided this was no problem since he would "always" leave it in neutral and set the parking brake.
I went over to my friend's house early one morning to pick him up. His son had come in late that evening and blocked dad's car in. He backed up the truck and pulled it off the driveway on the side of the house. We where sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. His son rolls in grabs the half gallon of OJ from the frig and "CLICK-CLICK'. We hear the truck grinding down the side of the brick house, rolls through the small fence and into the pool.
Of course this was dad's fault because he left the truck in gear, even though he had no idea it was now equipped with a REMOTE START feature. So I guess my point is don't let your teenage son install in for you.

silverghost
12-07-2009, 01:50 AM
I had a DEI remote starter/Ignition/starter & interlock / remote window motor system installed on my Chevy 454SS truck a few years back.
After a years use the starter did not engauge the flex~plate ring gear properly. I pulled the starter to find much of the ring gear ground away.
I took the truck to the local Chevy dealer for a flexplate ring~gear replacment.
The service rep told me that they had seen quite a few damaged like this.
It seems that when the using remote starter
the starter motor is on a timed~off function to make sure engine starts.
On my DEI unit the starter ran for quite some time after the engine itself actually started.
This run~time was dealer progamed to run this long.
The starter drive gear kept running against the ring~gear eventually grinding the ring gear away!
I replaced the ring~gear/flexplate & starter & stopped using the DEI remote start unit!
If you do have a remote starter installed~
Make sure the starter is not programmed to run too long!
I also had a similar issue with the DEI unit's power window function.
Push a button to open or close the trucks electric powered windows.
Truck window motors burned~out!
Again too much pogramed window motor run time.
The windows would go up or down & the window motors would stop and stew for up to 20 seconds or so.
This soon burned~out both window motors !
No more DEI remote controls for me!
The DEI dealer/installer was also an idiot for prgraming it with far too much run time!

VetteLT193
12-07-2009, 07:05 AM
the ones I were looking at have a tach cut off. basically you wire the thing to the tach and when it hits a certain RPM it stops starting.

I still haven't done anything. got sick late last week and am finally back on my feet.