PDA

View Full Version : Dash/Switch panel labeling

brwn234
12-01-2009, 06:41 AM
I want to paint the dash panels on my 22zx this winter. The color is no problem but I'm trying to figure out how to label the switches and then clear over the text. I think most manufacturers are silk screening or engraving them. I want to keep the cost down. I'm thinking of some kind of material that I can have the text printed on and then transfer to the panel. Then clear over it to make it durable. Any ideas?

onesubdrvr
12-01-2009, 07:14 AM
If you go to a hobby shop, you can find water soluable decal kits; they come with clear or white background, used with inkjet printers. Instructions are good and they work well. They are very thin when done, so leave almost no lip when cleared over.

The problem is, you can't print in white; so if you're going to do something where black ink (or other colors) will show up, then you're good, otherwise you're going to have to try and find something else. Also, as you'd be using the clear, when printing in colors other than black, sometimes the background color changes the shade of the color you've printed.

I'm still struggling with something similar to this for a friend, but the above method may work for you.

Wayne

VetteLT193
12-01-2009, 07:35 AM
I am pretty sure you can buy switch covers that are labeled... I don't think they cost much. Many new boat manufacturers are going that route anyway because it is easier.

The Hedgehog
12-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Team Marine did mine. I completely moved the panels and resized them when I redid my dash and gauges. They were custom cut and engraved. Dana also does a nice job. Billet switch panels really wake up the dash.

brwn234
12-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Billet might wake up my dash but it'll kill my wallet. Trying to keep the cost down. Onesub, I'm gonna try to find a hobby shop today and see what they've got. thanks

Greg Guimond
12-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Hedge, do you have any pictures of your dash?

gcarter
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
The rockers on the waterproof Carling switches can be pulled off.
There're many sign shops that can apply lettering to them in a number of different ways and in many styles and colors.
If you don't have Carling switches, I really reccomend them.

The Hedgehog
12-01-2009, 09:42 AM
Hedge, do you have any pictures of your dash?

Here is the after:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53247&highlight=26+ZX

Let me dig up an original 26ZX dash.

zelatore
12-01-2009, 09:48 AM
When I did my engine-turned dash I had a local sign shop print a set of labels for me on adhesive backed clear stock in both black and white text. I think the total cost for both sets was about $40.

The Hedgehog
12-01-2009, 09:50 AM
Here is mine in stock form.

MOP
12-01-2009, 06:22 PM
When you go to the hobby shop as for fuel resistant decals, I found that out the hard way when I was flying models. Did a bang up job only to watch it crinkle and slide back on the fuselage, that was years back they may all be Ok now!.

Phil

onesubdrvr
12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
When you go to the hobby shop as for fuel resistant decals, I found that out the hard way when I was flying models. Did a bang up job only to watch it crinkle and slide back on the fuselage, that was years back they may all be Ok now!.

Phil
Well Phil, they really haven't improved too much, but as he's clear coating it when done, they should be ok,....

should being the operative keyword ;). I've painted R/C helicopter canopies that get absolutely COVERED by fuel, with the decals on them, but clear coated,.... the paint on the canopy far outlasted the canopy itself (fiberglass)

Wayne

MOP
12-01-2009, 07:18 PM
My concern was the possibility of the thinners attacking the decal.:shocking:

onesubdrvr
12-01-2009, 07:31 PM
My concern was the possibility of the thinners attacking the decal.:shocking:
Ahh, got 'cha

I use a 2 part clear coat, haven't had any problems YET, but I lay it on pretty thin, I could see that if it were put on too heavy that it would eat the ink away, or if a clear / thinner was used.

That would make a big difference,.... :)

Wayne

rtgogo
12-04-2009, 08:06 AM
Please keep us posted on your work. I'm doing the same dash updates this winter and would like to know your findings....Thanks

brwn234
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
The rockers on the waterproof Carling switches can be pulled off.
There're many sign shops that can apply lettering to them in a number of different ways and in many styles and colors.
If you don't have Carling switches, I really reccomend them.

Yes I've got Carling switches. I think thats the only thing I've ever seen on a ZX, maybe I'm wrong. I've emailed Carling about labeled switch panels. I know they make them, not sure if they're custom or a regular item. I'll let you know when I hear from them.

brwn234
03-30-2010, 09:24 AM
I'm getting it figured out now. I'm going to have my aluminum dash panels engraved by a trophy shop in town and then color fill the engraving. What type of paint should I use for the panel? I've got some zincchro primer that I assume would work. I'm looking for something relatively affordable and available. I've never color filled before. Any advice?