PDA

View Full Version : help with my X 18

rocksmann
11-29-2009, 07:49 PM
I have a 74 x-18 with a steel fuel tank. how do I replace this? do I have to cut a hole in the floor ? my boat is in great shape I would like to split the hull if its the way to do it right. how hard is it? I will post some pics soon thanks Bill

Donzi Vol
11-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Bill,

Welcome to the board and looking forward to pics of the X!

As for the tank, yes it's best to lift the deck. You can cut just before the ski locker and do the job, but nobody here is going to suggest that as the best idea. We have a triple hatch that currently has the deck off, but it was super easy to remove as there was no rigging when we pulled it off. So you'll want to hear from some of the guys who have done it with the rigging there. Don't fret, though. It's been done a lot, and there's plenty of knowledge here on how best to do it.

Good luck!
-David

penbroke
11-29-2009, 09:15 PM
DO NOT CUT THE BOAT.

There is no cutting required and it's actually easier to seperate the deck from the hull. Do a search here for info or e-mail me...

Frank
penbroke(a)yahoo.com

Kirbyvv
11-30-2009, 07:12 AM
Rocksman, I've collected a ton of info from this site for replacing the gas tank. Do a search for gas tank, fuel tank, etc. I'll be diving into my '78 X-18 in the spring to replace the tank.

rocksmann
11-30-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks thats a lot of good info! pics to come will try to remove deck next week Bill