PDA

View Full Version : Tennessee Sales Tax, the Saga cont......

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
These guys are working me over. After spending over a day of my life trying to figure out how much sales tax I paid on the boat that CJ Mike now owns, they have just sent some sort of duplicate bill of sale to the guy that sold me the 26ZX.

In the case of the Big Green ZX (now CJ Mike's) boat. I had to pour through 5 year old bank statements to try to figure out what I paid the great state of Indiana. That was before I lived in Alabama and then moved to Tn. Sounds like no big deal? Well let's see, at the time I had 5 bank accounts (at two different banks), two investment accounts and a home equity line. In a pinch I could have used any although it was not common practice. My investment accounts and home equity account don't have detailed statements or imaged checks. So what do you do, well start with the main accounts and work your way around. BTW, Indiana has no records of taxes paid. Go figure. In the end, well I figured out that I actually used my Am Ex for the points. That required more than one phone conversation to dig up 5 year old statements (yes I do keep them but they obviously got misplaced in one of my moves). In the end I was able to get them happy and they decided I had indeed paid my taxes. Ok, so we are good there.

Now the guy that sold me the 26ZX has been approached about providing a new bill of sale even though I have already provided one at the time of registration and paid taxes. I bought the boat and paid taxes around 2 years ago. My tax returns are professionally prepared by a CPA and I guarantee he does not miss a penny of interest tax I owe the state or any other possible tax for that matter. All I can figure is that I bought the boat back from NADA (there is a shocker) and it triggered some sort of sales tax audit.

My first reaction is to tell him just to throw it away. He is not a dealer and is not obligated to provide them any info. I paid my taxes and they accepted them. On the other hand, maybe they will burn another day of the Hedge's billing time as they make me jump through hoops to make them happy AGAIN.

Anyone else been down this road?

Donzi Vol
11-29-2009, 06:46 PM
TN is awful for collecting sales taxes. Seems they're never satisfied. If you still can't get stuff straightened out in the next few days give me a call. We know people...

Phil S
11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd say go with your first reaction.....

Your boat, no doubt, is registered. I know that here in SC you can't register it without having paid the taxes on it. Let them do the research.

I'm not too happy with TN authorities right now anyway. Speeding ticket received in Johnson City this afternoon !

I feel certain they keep records of that should I not pay it !!

That does suck....figure out a way to make them find the receipt for taxes paid.
(A lot of counties have paid property taxes online now (cars, boats, real estate,...not that didn't know that already, but thinking it might save some headache)

Good luck with it

Phil S

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 07:08 PM
TN is awful for collecting sales taxes. Seems they're never satisfied. If you still can't get stuff straightened out in the next few days give me a call. We know people...

Dave,

If you don't mind see how far these people will go. It seems that the burden of proof is on me. I talked to the guy that sold me the boat. He is going to fill out another bill of sale and send it to me. If they get aggressive I will send it to them. I don't mind making them work, I just don't want to get worked that hard again.

RedDog
11-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Sounds like bad luck on your part. I have never had an issue selling or buying. Only bought once out of state - current boat and from an individual. Paid the state sales taxes based on a 2 bill of sales - 1 each for boat a and 1 for trailer. The 2 bill of sales was curious though - call if you need to know

BUIZILLA
11-29-2009, 07:38 PM
i've NEVER had a problem there myself... actually, it was cheesecake eazy...

i'm thinking they are checking to see if your bill of sale you provided TN is the real deal, or you lowered the sales price at Reg time with a bogus B of S... and they are trying to get your seller to ante up info if your copy is accurate... bait and switch... now, this, I have heard of them doing...

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 07:51 PM

i'm thinking they are checking to see if your bill of sale you provided TN is the real deal, or you lowered the sales price at Reg time with a bogus B of S... and they are trying to get your seller to ante up info if your copy is accurate... bait and switch... now, this, I have heard of them doing...

That is sort of what I figured. They will find nothing exciting. Just a guy that bought a boat cheap and paid his taxes.

Hell, I have not even thought about registering that boat I bought from FastTrucker. That will probably be more of a PITA as they try to book out a 1975 Whaler.

I do wish that they would leave me the hell alone though. I guess it is the price I pay for no state income tax.

BUIZILLA
11-29-2009, 08:02 PM
hint.... use the Dekalb County Clerk's office in Smithville... :wink: suite 208, I think... :lookaroun:

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 08:06 PM
The funny thing is that when I did the deal, I did not have a notarized B of S. We did not really need them in Bama and this is before I had been through the ringer in Tn. I had a title signed over, registration and every other piece of paper you could imagine but no notary on the B of S. I looked at the clerk and asked her EXACTLY what she wanted. Hell at the time I would have gladly produced a copy of the cashier's check or anything else. She pointed at the B of S and said "I need this notarized right here." So what did I do, I ran down to a friendly notary who promptly notarized my signature on the B of S (as the purchaser). I came back the next am and presented it and she told me that was just fine. At least for a couple of years anyway!:nilly:

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 08:08 PM
hint.... use the Dekalb County Clerk's office in Smithville... :wink: suite 208, I think... :lookaroun:

Bet I do next time!:pimp:

Donzi Vol
11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Dave,

If you don't mind see how far these people will go. It seems that the burden of proof is on me. I talked to the guy that sold me the boat. He is going to fill out another bill of sale and send it to me. If they get aggressive I will send it to them. I don't mind making them work, I just don't want to get worked that hard again.

I'll check on it tomorrow and see what the easiest way out of it is for you.

Yep...I'd say you're right, Buiz. They're probably tired of people screwing the government. Of course, they screw us quite a bit. As in, a boat is considered a luxury...as is a CAR. Seriously? Luxury? Come on! But I digress...

Bet I do next time!:pimp:

It can still be this time. In fact, this is the best way to go about it. Make an appointment with your county clerk and go talk to them about it. Act ignorant to how to pay taxes and ask what the best way to resolve the situation is. They'll be able to tell you in plain English what to do...and what not to do.

Donzi Vol
11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm not too happy with TN authorities right now anyway. Speeding ticket received in Johnson City this afternoon !

I feel certain they keep records of that should I not pay it !!

Phil S

Let me guess. Pulled over by a gray mustang on I-26? I don't mind saying publicly that they are bastards through there. Don't go more than 10mph over the speed limit or you're screwed.

The Hedgehog
11-29-2009, 09:29 PM
I'll check on it tomorrow and see what the easiest way out of it is for you.

Yep...I'd say you're right, Buiz. They're probably tired of people screwing the government. Of course, they screw us quite a bit. As in, a boat is considered a luxury...as is a CAR. Seriously? Luxury? Come on! But I digress...

It can still be this time. In fact, this is the best way to go about it. Make an appointment with your county clerk and go talk to them about it. Act ignorant to how to pay taxes and ask what the best way to resolve the situation is. They'll be able to tell you in plain English what to do...and what not to do.

In the end there is nothing to really take care of. It just gets kind of annoying to hassel with this. I probably would not have mentioned this if I did not have such a run around with the last boat.

More than likely if the seller is to ignore them, they will go away. He has NO obligation to supply them with any info at this point. He does not even live in Tn. He is going to be nice about it and prepare the info in case they start trying to bother me.

My guess is that this is kind of like Buiz is saying. They probably just send out some inquiries to sellers of folks that are selling something less than NADA. Every now and then someone steps up and says "I did not sell it for that" and boom, recovered tax income. It is probably a pretty efficient direct mail program. Just kind of annoying if someone questions your practices.

Phil S
11-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Let me guess. Pulled over by a gray mustang on I-26? I don't mind saying publicly that they are bastards through there. Don't go more than 10mph over the speed limit or you're screwed.

Thanks for the sentiment DV....Johnson City PD though....just trying to keep the holiday traffic safe...

...as it turns out, it's 55 mph on a 4-lane interstate highway through their section of jurisdiction though...

...I tried to explain that.... "I...can't...drive...Fif-ty-Five" !

He didn't laugh....and now I owe the State of Tennessee another one-hundred bucks....and who knows how much when my insurance company finds the points....

Yours truly....

Holla Geo............................................... ..................

Phil S
11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
......................jus' kiddin'....(82 in a 55 doesn't usually go over well anywhere)

I had it coming....and will somewhat happily pay the fine.

HH & DV:

If it's any sentiment at all, the roadside scenery of the mountains and streams through Eastern TN, is astounding along what was old route 23, now the "new" 26 or something like that.....we thoroughly enjoyed the ride through there this afternoon...wonderful roads, wonderful scenery, and I'm sure beautiful lakes....absolutely gorgeous countryside.

WKR,

Phil S

Brambo
12-04-2009, 12:37 PM
So you think 85 is fast?? Adrian Peterson, Vikings R-Back was clocked @ 109 in a 55!!!!! In Edina, a 1st ring burg of Mpls - it is usually busy there.

http://www.startribune.com/local/78529647.html?elr=KArks:DCiUHc3E7_V_nDaycUiD3aPc:_ Yyc:aUU

I think he has some go fast parts on the BMW.

The Hedgehog
12-04-2009, 02:13 PM
......................jus' kiddin'....(82 in a 55 doesn't usually go over well anywhere)
I had it coming....and will somewhat happily pay the fine.
HH & DV:
If it's any sentiment at all, the roadside scenery of the mountains and streams through Eastern TN, is astounding along what was old route 23, now the "new" 26 or something like that.....we thoroughly enjoyed the ride through there this afternoon...wonderful roads, wonderful scenery, and I'm sure beautiful lakes....absolutely gorgeous countryside.
WKR,
Phil S
We have some amazing scenery in TN. And it is enjoyed best from the water!