PDA

View Full Version : Bravo I Drive Oil Disappearing

RedDog
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Bravo I Drive Oil Disappearing
Spring of 2008 I had to have the upper gear set of my Bravo I re-built. Ever since, I have had some oil consumption. Over the course of this past season I probably had to add about 1/2 quart. Over the last month just sitting on the trailer I see that the reservoir level has decreased about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. I don't see any oil externally - no drips, seeps, etc visible. Prior to the re-build I very little oil consumption. See nothing in the bilge either. Where is it going, is it normal, and should I be worried about it?

MOP
11-28-2009, 01:39 PM
What is strange is it sitting on the trailer with no visible signs of leakage, I found that after complete drain and refill I needed about (guessing) 4oz to top of after a run or two. I think taht is due to the drive burping a little air out.
In your case with nothing showing yet my guess would be that it is leaking into the bellows, the bellows will hold quite a bit before weeping into the bilge. The only way to check is to loosen up the drive and pull it back a little ways, put a pan under so if I am right you will catch the mess, since this has been happening from the time of the rebuild the seal on the yoke shaft must have gotten damaged or they did not renew it.

silverghost
11-29-2009, 01:05 AM
In nomal operating conditions you should not "Use" or lose ANY outdrive lube oil !
Also~
Oil should not leak out while outdrive & boat is out of the water.
Get this outdrive pulled-apart and all the seals & gaskets replaced before you have severe gear & bearing damage or worse yet sea water getting in there !
The shop that repaired your drive unit did not put-it back together correctly or damaged a seal as stated above !
They should fix it !

RedDog
11-29-2009, 03:49 PM
MOP was right - the bellows was loaded with oil. I now have the drive in my truck to deliver to the shop.