PDA

View Full Version : Custom Front Bench Question

Greg Guimond
11-26-2009, 02:17 PM
T-Day marks the time of year when the projects start to percolate for those of us up North. That said, I am looking for advice and creative suggestions on how a Front Bench could be turned into a Custom Front Bench with a fold down middle section.

Lets start with this photo ........

Greg Guimond
11-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Now, with that photo in mind, how could the center section be fabricated so that it "folds down" when only two people are planted up front? I am assuming that it would require some type of custom welded frame underneath and then a custom build up upon that frame.

Think Ford Super Duty front bench seat with center fold down drinkholders and all.

This type of custom bench would create a "two bolster" when the middle was flipped down, and then allow for some extra seating for the little ones when the center was back up.

Fabrication has to be able to take a licking and keep on ticking in rough water though.

Thoughts, pictures, and possible vendors all appreciated !

AR-Cougar
11-26-2009, 04:31 PM
You may want to keep a clean image of the rear part of the seat (No drink-holders in it / no hard surfaces to bump into).

Here's a Dodge RAM 2500 center fold seat.
Has plenty storing space in it (opens only when flipped down).
Has no lock to keep it up though.

Just a thought.

Nice boat BTW.

Greg Guimond
11-26-2009, 04:45 PM
That picture of the Ram is certainly in the strike zone. Thanks for posting that. I had a few thoughts about what could actually be fabricated with proper amount of structural support and came to my own conclusion. I am thinking that you would need to have one continous piece from left gunnel to right gunnel in terms of the bench "frame" itself. The thought being that if the fold down middle is actually tucked into the primary bench cavity that the overall look would be very classic and simple when folded up and away. The other item, that you astutely caught was the "clean rear visual" issue. On this, if I keep it as a hideaway tuck middle then the cupholders are of no issue as you would never see them. The other option if it is seperate like the Dodge picture is to not only have the cupholders stand proud, but also install a second large diameter speedo to show the folks on the rear bench how fast the boat is going.

Options, .......options ..........options --- Bring all the options !

Greg Guimond
11-26-2009, 05:17 PM
I feel that the basic frame would need to be welded to create the proper lightweight structural web and to give a pivot hinge point and act as the female receiver for the fold down hideaway middle. Is this bench going to weigh too much with a metal skeleton? Not sure on that yet.

On the bling, I think that simple is generally more classy and classic.

Keep in mind though that my imagination never seems to remotely match what can be done in a real world kind of way :crossfing:

Greg Guimond
11-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Here is a mockup. Not the exact idea but gives a good perspective at least.............

AR-Cougar
11-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Keep in mind though that my imagination never seems to remotely match what can be done in a real world kind of way :crossfing:

With this in mind, maybe the easiest thing to do is just having a removable center part. The back of the seat could be stored thus granting easier movement around the boat (thinking in the little ones).

No pivots required, maybe guidelines on the side seats, or some kind of fitting in the lower part. And you would still have a classic look.

Alternatively, you might consider a half hight center part. I believe there is a Donzi model that has something like this in the front seat (side to side bench with half hight center part). Cant remember which model though.

Just Say N20
11-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I hate having to download files to view them. Here you go.

Greg Guimond
11-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that download of that image. I thought about the concept of a removable middle like on some of the big money rigs but came out against it. The thought being that if the bench can be made in one piece that would by far be the strongest in rough water.

Option 1 - Tuck Away center arm rest. Once this route is taken you automatically have to plan for a much deeper back bench thickness to accomodate tucking away the middle into a recess. This approach would look cleanest from the back, the strongest by far, but might make the bench thickness much to thick visually? I could see the built out padded thickness being 12" finished OD.

Option 2 - Fold Down center arm rest. The biggest appeal to this route is it provides a built in brace, or a bit of a mini-bolster when it is in the down position. Certainly not a real bolster, but something to wedge the kiester against. I could see the thickness of this option being 6" finished OD. The pivot would need to be industrial strength and I have not figured out how it would latch in the down position and then again in the up poistion.

Any pictures of a Bench Seat Hornet and what is the "thickness" as an example

Greg Guimond
11-29-2009, 07:50 PM
And a picture for added perspective from the archives of a senior member .........

MOP
11-29-2009, 08:47 PM
Something I made up along the way was not a fold down but a slide out, A section of the back seat the width of one seat slide upwards out of a track. It worked quite well and was very simple and sturdy, a flat double track sided track on the fixed seat backs and a single angle on the slide out all of aluminum. I dont's have any pics but even a "CAVE MAN COULD DO IT" !!!:rlol::rlol:

Phil

Greg Guimond
12-01-2009, 02:13 PM
MOP,
Certainly one idea but that solution does not allow for the side bolster effect when folded down. Would work great if you wanted twin bolsters and then a slide in middle section like this photo.........

Greg Guimond
12-01-2009, 08:18 PM
You could also go with a 2+1 Bench option like the one pictured, but that might look a bit off from a visual balance perspective.

Greg Guimond
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
Anyone on the board have suggestions on high end fabricators who could build the Custom Front Bench with fold down middle ?

farmer tx
12-05-2009, 10:48 PM
Greg, Would you be interested in the molded plastic seatback from a 1984 Hornet III front bench seat. I am going with bucket seats and kept this piece. This pic isn't very good, but I will look for another if you are interested.

Mark

Greg Guimond
12-06-2009, 09:34 AM
farmer tx, thanks for the post, certainly worth a closer look if you could email me directly with some better photos that would be great. Here is a car bench photo that captures what I was thinking for the boat but open to ideas large and small!

ChrisJ.
12-08-2009, 11:30 AM
here is a quick idea for you.... P.M. me for info...
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/my00b16si/DSC07445.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/my00b16si/DSC07457.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/my00b16si/DSC07458.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/my00b16si/DSC07455.jpg
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/my00b16si/DSC07459.jpg

Planetwarmer
12-08-2009, 11:42 AM
There you go.:cool:

Greg Guimond
11-23-2013, 02:13 PM
I have a couple of additional options as well ..............

Greg Guimond
02-20-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm not sure whose Magnum this is but I like the idea of both 3 seats for cruising or 2 for more support at speed .............