PDA

View Full Version : It’s Been Hell Lately But I’m Giving Thanks

RedDog
11-25-2009, 12:55 PM
It’s Been Hell Lately But I’m Giving Thanks
I haven’t posted much lately – things have been pretty rough on the home front over the past 40 days or so…

Dog I had for 14 years died
Found out my son is addicted to opiates
Cancelled vacation to the Keys
Son drops out of university and entered residential rehab
Spent my 25th wedding anniversary in family therapy at rehab facility
Major client cut my billable hours by 65% over the next 4 months (managed to round up some fill in work but not certain yet that it will keep me sufficiently covered)
Son comes out of rehab after 30 days
Son and his dog moves in with me – I have been a happy empty nester for past 2-1/2 years.
But you know what? I am thankful.

I still have a loving wife
I still have many contacts and should be able to maintain a sufficient income.
My son is alive, in good spirits, and seems more clear-headed than I have seen in a long time. He is still at risk, but seems to be taking recovery very seriously.

Wish me luck friends!
Happy Thanksgiving to All!

gcarter
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Due to the recent untimely death of the son of a family member, I understand.
Elaine and I will be praying for you.
God is still in the healing business.

Carl C
11-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Your son is lucky to have a father like you. Give him support and hopefully he will come around. I've gone through a half dozen dogs. I cried everytime one died. It's just a fact that their lives are shorter than ours. Here are the three I have now. Hang in there and try to have a good Thanksgiving.http://inlinethumb07.webshots.com/43462/2161976860101010914S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2161976860101010914ShByqK)

The Hedgehog
11-25-2009, 01:27 PM
I am sorry to hear that Tim. Those are a number of tough situations. I know that you will pull through. Unfortunately things will be tough for a while.

Cuda
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
God bless you Tim. He'll never give you more than you can handle.

I'm thankful to spend another Thanksgiving with my wonderful parents. I'll be riding to St Pete with a buddy of mine. His family lives in St Pete too. I've known him over 35 years.

Ghost
11-25-2009, 02:22 PM
I admire your spirit--keep fighting the good fight.-Mike

gold-n-rod
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Despite our past skirmishes, I am pulling for you and your family, Tim. A positive attitude goes a looooong way. Hang in there, parenting is really tough.

From your Donzi brother,

CHACHI
11-26-2009, 06:33 AM
Sorry to hear the news, pulling for you and your family Tim.

Ken

Donzi Vol
11-26-2009, 09:40 AM
It’s Been Hell Lately But I’m Giving Thanks

I haven’t posted much lately – things have been pretty rough on the home front over the past 40 days or so…

Dog I had for 14 years died
Found out my son is addicted to opiates
Cancelled vacation to the Keys
Son drops out of university and entered residential rehab
Spent my 25th wedding anniversary in family therapy at rehab facility
Major client cut my billable hours by 65% over the next 4 months (managed to round up some fill in work but not certain yet that it will keep me sufficiently covered)
Son comes out of rehab after 30 days
Son and his dog moves in with me – I have been a happy empty nester for past 2-1/2 years.
But you know what? I am thankful.

I still have a loving wife
I still have many contacts and should be able to maintain a sufficient income.
My son is alive, in good spirits, and seems more clear-headed than I have seen in a long time. He is still at risk, but seems to be taking recovery very seriously.
Wish me luck friends!
Happy Thanksgiving to All!

Oh wow. I hate to hear all that, man. But I sure am glad that things are on the upswing! I can't advise much, but if I can give any thoughts they would be to just to keep being positive, keep supporting your son, keep working, and always look on the bright side. Lastly, lean on your friends and family. I've found that one of the biggest faults of us strong, burley men is being afraid to let others help us (i.e. pride). See what Pulp Fiction says about pride :wink:

I can't imagine what I could do to help in your situation, but know that I am around for ANYTHING that you all need. Don't hesitate to call.

Also, know there will be a special prayer for the Floyd family at the Ramey family Thanksgiving this year.

All the best, brother!

RedDog
11-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys.

We are all home for Thanksgiving and hoping for the best. One of the patients from the facility he was in is joining us for dinner. He is from several states away and couldn't get a pass to go that far (or long).

I should have included my other son in what I am thankful for - he is on top of the world at this point of his life.

Bamboo Loui
11-26-2009, 02:15 PM
A big Happy Thanksgiving from from Margaret and I. God bless you and yours.
Doug

Ed Donnelly
11-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I see only good news. Your son is fighting his demons
He has a father that is there for him.
Prayers are out for your sons full recovery.
You lost your dog and your son brings his home
The good Lord works in mysterious ways............Ed

fasttrucker
11-26-2009, 03:46 PM
I had a freind with a problem like your sons,.His dad put him on an offshore tuna fishing boat for 3 months.....Best thing ever.

BLACKIE
11-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Tim, so sorry to hear about your son. It looks like you cought it in time though. Our prayers are with you and yours.
You will overcome this, its what you call a "snag" in your life and you will get free of it in time.
Good luck...
Blackie

Jraysray
11-28-2009, 08:38 PM
I see only good news. Your son is fighting his demons
He has a father that is there for him.
Prayers are out for your sons full recovery.
You lost your dog and your son brings his home
The good Lord works in mysterious ways............Ed

Well put. You have tomorrow. Tomorrow is hope AND a new day. For those who have ever suffered through this you will understand. Amazing what time will do.

Team Jefe
11-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Tennessee and Tenacity. We Texans have some expereince with Tennessee Tenacity in the form of Mr. Sam Houston

That list of things...I saw nothing Tennessee Tenacity couldn't overcome.

Keep the Faith brother and keep up the good fight