PDA

View Full Version : 22 Donzi ZX

Zinger
01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Does anyone know of any bad press in regards to the stepped 22zx model , I was talking with a ( X donzi dealer ) which proceeded to tell me that the 22zx was a big mistake in line of boats he sold due to the boat falling apart and the poor ventilation inside the engine compartment.I spoke with this person to have my 22zx which I just purchased to see if he could lift my boat off the flat bed trailer that was coming up for florida. Man I think this guy could have gave me some congrats on my new puchase instead of the negativity he gave me . Jeff

Ranman
01-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Zinger,

There is indeed some bad press out there about the boat, however, it usually is in regard to the boat's handling in the hands of a novice. I've never heard about them falling apart or anything about engine room ventilation. Anyway, the 22ZX has a few weak points in my eyes. In order for Donzi to keep this boat rreasonably priced, they went with inferior seats (pedestals instead of bolsters), Gaffrig II gauges instead of Gaffrig I's and a Merc quicksilver throttle instead of zero effort controls.

These weak points really are not that big of a deal though. There are plenty of boats out there that are way inferior to a 22ZX. You have made a good choice and bought a well built boat that will take more punishment than any average 22 footer.

As far as the handling issues go, I don't think there is any real issue so long as you take the time to learn the boat and it's handling charachteristics. IT's a perfectly safe boat if you know what your doing. It does have the potential to be dangerous (as do all stepped hulls) if not taken seriously.

I'm sure Frank will chime in here and settle your concerns about the boat. Again, you've made a great choice and you have nothing to worry about. Congratulations.

Shanghied Again
01-08-2004, 08:27 PM
I owned a 22ZX 1998 Supercharged, I never had an issue with the boat and I pretty sure the X Dealer didn't know how to drive the boat, I never heard of a ventlation problem and I should know that pumping a Procharger at 5psi and even one time running at 7psi at 85mph. The boat never fell apart and is still running strong with the new owner. He lets me drive it once and awhile, brings bak old memories. To drive the boat If someone with knowledge showed you how to run her you will never have a problem. Its all on how you handle a step bottom boat. As for a mistake? They still make the 22ZX with a great sale rate and a great resale rate. Sounds more like a pissed off dealer.

Bryan Tuvell 33ZX
01-08-2004, 08:36 PM
ZINGER
Please try the search function...
22ZX is a great boat, the 26 is even better.
Your search here will provide the data you seek.
Best of luck to you.
Bryan Tuvell

PS what year? I had lots of fairing issues.