PDA

View Full Version : Waterproof Cellphone?

silverghost
11-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Does anyone here know of any "waterproof " or at least "water-resistant" cellphones?
I am on ATT and have ruined two flip-open razor style phones this summer from splashing my shirt & pants pockets.
One was an LG the other a Motorola.
Both were membrane type keypads.
I boat 99% of the time in saltwater.
One phone had water drops enter the speaker, the other the battery compartment!
Tried drying them out after removing battery~But it was too late.
Someone must build a waterproof phone ?

farmer tx
11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Still doing the research on this one. Haven't run over it with a tractor yet, but has stood up for three months without a glitch. This is my fourth phone for 09 the rest being Razor's

http://www.casiogzone.com/boulder/

maddad
11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
You would think they'd have a bullet and water proof phone by now. I pay verizon to keep track of the info in my phone so when it gets smashed or wet they can hand me a new one set up just like the old one was. They regret offering me insurance.

farmer tx
11-23-2009, 11:06 PM
Verizon non renewed me back in March after the second replacement of the first Razor.:toiletpap

Ghost
11-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Mine needs to float too. I had one disappear a few months back. I don't know what happened for sure, but my last memory when I could not find it was setting it on the motorbox on a day I was hurriedly running out for a quick test run.

Sploosh.

farmer tx
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
Mine needs to float too. I had one disappear a few months back. I don't know what happened for sure, but my last memory when I could not find it was setting it on the motorbox on a day I was hurriedly running out for a quick test run.

Sploosh.

You may be asking for too much there. Get it a PFD:smileybo:

mrfixxall
11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
http://in.samsungmobile.com/mobile-phones/samsung-marine?cid=in_ppc_hhp_goo_Model_Samsung+Marine_Wat er+proof+phone_0981

Cuda
11-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I have one resting in 20 feet of water in Tampa Bay. :(

rtgogo
11-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Sounds crazy, but If you put your phone in a bag of rice right after it gets splashed and leave it there overnight (without battery) it will absorb the water out of the keypad, screen etc. You have to get it in the rice pretty quick after dryin it off, but has worked for me twice this year.....One phone was thrown in the pool and still works after this trick...it will geek out a little when you fire it back up and may take more than one try in the rice...but its worked for me.

BUIZILLA
11-24-2009, 07:39 AM
there is no such thing as waterproof..

water resistant maybe... :crossfing:

gcarter
11-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Another thing that is sometimes helpful is to disassemble as much as poossible and as quickly as possible and dump it into some pure water, i.e., RO, DI, distilled, etc.
The pure water is the perfect insulator and will not harm the phone and will dissolve completely any salt etc.
The main thing is to do it quickly.

MOP
11-24-2009, 08:24 AM
George you beat me too it, though I have not tried it with a cell phone I have immersed electronics from boats that sunk in salt and have saved more then I have lost. I dunk them let them sit for awhile to soften the salt then pull them drain them and dunk them a couple more then let them dry. Think about the electronics on big outboards, when they went down we would pull the plugs then submerge them in the test tank and rotate them by hand to circulate the fresh water through everything. We would let them sit overnight then do a strip job of the carbs and electrical stuff clean, blow out and spray with CRC put them back together and fire them up never lost one single engine or component! Believe me in 30 years time I did more then I can count.

Ed Donnelly
11-24-2009, 08:26 AM
My Motorola i576 is water resistant and ultra rugged.
Dropped it 24' and still works...I have used it in the pouring rain and in a VERY steamy boiler room on several occasions..........Ed

hardcrab
11-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Verizon : Boulder ( Casio ) = waterproof. :shark: