PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic steering

Ralph Savarese
11-23-2009, 07:20 AM
What can I use as far as a hydraulic steering system that can replace the big T helm that will give me about the same ratio . Maybe cover the foot print of the Big T
Thanks Ralph

gcarter
11-23-2009, 07:49 AM
All of the hydraulic helms I'm familiar with have a smaller bolt circle than the Big T.
Most often, a plate is fabricated to cover up the holes for the Big T.

gcarter
11-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Kind of like this;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=26633&d=1168912887

Ralph Savarese
11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Still need to know what is my best option

gcarter
11-23-2009, 12:55 PM
Hynautic makes a helm designed specifically for Merc utdrives.
It's an internal system and only replaces the cable w/a helm,
hydraulic lines and a cylinder. That's what the system on the Minx was.
You can do a search of my threads and see how it was done.
After that, there're single and dual external systems.
Some of these use the valving of the Merc power steering and you still maintain the cable.
Or the full blown single or dual external hydraulic system utilizing a
GM p/s pump boosted Char-Lynn helm and external cylinder(s) from a number of producers.

Morgan's Cloud
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I was under the impression that Teleflex/Seastar bought out Hynautic.

(oh .. agree on the cover-up ring thing ! )

gcarter
11-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I was under the impression that Teleflex/Seastar bought out Hynautic.

(oh .. agree on the cover-up ring thing ! )

They did but there's still a lot of products sold under that name.
And you may be correct, w/so many similar products I get confused about who does what! :nilly:

maddad
11-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Hey Ralph. I used a sea star helm that back mounts and hynautic cylinder. The plates that come with the helm covered the hole but not the bolt holes. One day I will come up with a way to put the teleflex bezel back on. I made a bracket out of.25" alum. 2x2 L that mounts on the top two bolts of the tailpiece to bellhousing area. It didn't cost a whole bunch and was the single best mod I did on the boat.
It's a 9" unbalanced cylinder, the helm I think was 1.4ci. Ends up being about 2.75 turns in one direction and 3.1 the other.

maddad
11-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Also Ralph, by using a 90* fitting on top of the helm there's just enough room under the combing to run the vent/fill line "uphill" and keep the fitting on the dash instead of the deck.

maddad
11-23-2009, 08:59 PM
And when are you going to make an album with some of those pictures? Your barrel back looks and runs great!

Bobby D
11-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Maddad after looking at the picture of your nice dash and gauges I have a question. Can you steer me in the right direction and give me contact information on where I can buy Stewart Warner gauges? I’m in the process of redoing my dash and I plan on installing the same gauges.
Bob

gcarter
11-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Here's a couple of pictures of the Minx internal system;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20102&d=1145562280

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20103&d=1145562752

It's very easy to install, other than covering the existing helm bolt holes.

maddad
11-23-2009, 10:49 PM
BobbyD, I got those from Freeport Marine here on Long Island. In the catalog they were called "heavy duty". They gave me a deal on the whole package, senders and all.

Bobby D
11-24-2009, 01:48 AM
Maddad,
Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for I will give them a call. Did a search and found Freeport Marine along with a catalog and distributor listing on the web. I am from the Philadelphia area and there are several distributors listed however none are marine so I will call Freeport and order form them. In the catalog I found on the web the gauges are listed under DELUX and than you sort of marine deluxe. I was having trouble finding a SW speedometer and than I saw yours so thanks and I will let you know how I make out.

Also looks like we own the same year boat 1972 18 2+3 however my dash was modified (cut) by the previous owner so I’m making a new dash panel that when completed will look more factory and I always liked the old school look of Stewart Warner. I just sold my 1970 ski sporter and the dash was bone stock and had the original trapezoidal dash panel design and Stewart Warner gauges.

Bob

Ralph Savarese
11-24-2009, 07:05 AM
I have a Volvo 270 set up with the long angled arm. I dont think the merc set up will work. Mike maybe can look at your set up. Why is it unbalanced?
Ralph

gcarter
11-24-2009, 07:58 AM
It's unbalanced because the cylinder he used is "single ended. That is, the displacement of one side of the piston is greater than the other because of the area of the rod.
Hynautic makes some double ended, balanced cylinders, you just need to shop around for what's available. There's lots of info on sizes, etc. just do a search on Hynautic. Once you determine what size cylinder you need, stroke, etc., there're a lot available on eBay. They're kind of pricey new though.
I think my set up was about $1K new, but I bought it from a member here for $250.00.

maddad
11-24-2009, 10:39 AM
BobbyD, I've been following your new dash's progress. I like the idea of the stripe going through the panel.
Ralph, the unbalanced part is just like Mr.Carter said. It would need the shaft coming out the other side to make equal volume on both sides of the cylinder. I use the greater volume to push against the prop torque. I see a lot of Volvos with the high tiller arm had the stearing tube mount bolted to the transom. Mine has an arm that is straight and fairly short, and had the old cable tube setup bolted to the port stringer. The tiller arm I have is available at All Island Marine in Oceanside. In my boat, the cylinder is about a half inch from the stainless riser, but with some thought on the bracket you could probably make it work with the high arm.

Ralph Savarese
11-24-2009, 10:48 AM
Guys This is a new department for me I really dont know what is my best option and I kind of need sombody to tell me what parts to buy. Does anyone have what i need on the site that i can purchace them from?
That would be great.
Thanks Ralph

Kirbyvv
11-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Ralph, I have a volvo cable activated power steering unit. The cylinder is mounted directly to the top of the inner volvo 280 transom assembly and works with the high arm. it's difficult to see in this shot. I did have to remove the lifting ring bracket and fabricate another though. I'll see if I can find a better photo.

Ralph Savarese
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
I would love to do that set up with a cable activated steering where can I get one. Then i could keep the Big T and the Ratio. I could probably hook that up with an electric Power steering Pump

gcarter
11-24-2009, 08:12 PM
OK Ralph, I dug through my stuff and found this PDF.
I think most of what you need is here;

VetteLT193
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Look close at this pic, just a stainless plate cut that is sandwiched between the helm and dash. The plate is a cutout of the old helm profile.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=93&pictureid=962

Kirbyvv
11-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Ralph, I bought mine used from someone here on donzi.net. I hooked mine up to a belt driven GM power steering pump. It works great. I can take my hands off the wheel at WOT. I don't know if they still make the units, but I have seen them on ebay. its an actual Volvo power steering system.

Ralph Savarese
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Thats great If you happen to see another one let me know
thanks Ralph

Conquistador_del_mar
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Ralph, I bought mine used from someone here on donzi.net. I hooked mine up to a belt driven GM power steering pump. It works great. I can take my hands off the wheel at WOT. I don't know if they still make the units, but I have seen them on ebay. its an actual Volvo power steering system.

Thats great If you happen to see another one let me know
thanks Ralph

Ralph,
I will check my parts today. I am thinking that I have the Volvo Penta power steering setup that I removed about 15 years ago from an Eliminator Daytona that had a Volvo setup. I will try to take a picture of it this afternoon when I get to my shop. Bill

Ralph Savarese
11-25-2009, 11:48 AM
It has to be able to bolt to a 270 housing
thanks Ralph

MOP
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
There should be no reason not to use a Merc setup. the only hold back would fabbing up a bracket. The Merc is integral to the transom shield, Make s bracket that would use two of the Volvo shields mounting bolts to hold the ram. If you are slick you may very well be able to use the Merc link to the till which would keep everything tight to the transom pretty much out of the way like on a stock Merc setup.

Look at Post #37 the middle picture for ideas! http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60128&page=3

Conquistador_del_mar
11-25-2009, 07:45 PM
Ralph,
I will check my parts today. I am thinking that I have the Volvo Penta power steering setup that I removed about 15 years ago from an Eliminator Daytona that had a Volvo setup. I will try to take a picture of it this afternoon when I get to my shop. Bill

Sure enough, I have this one. Maybe someone here knows if it is the correct one and how and where the bracket bolts up. I doubt that it matters, but this one came off a left hand steering system. Bill

Ralph Savarese
11-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Thats great How can I hook up with you ? Will this work with the long arm?
Thanks Ralph

BigGrizzly
11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Bill that is one of the three correct ones. I did my power steering with a Teleflex Sea Star and their electric power assist unit. Expensive but easy and NO extra belts at all. Mu Corsican has ONE belt. The water pump is crank driven.

Ralph Savarese
11-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I have left hand steering and a long arm just wondering the regular teleflex cable will go rite into that?
Ralph

Conquistador_del_mar
11-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Thats great How can I hook up with you ? Will this work with the long arm?
Thanks Ralph

I have left hand steering and a long arm just wondering the regular teleflex cable will go rite into that?
Ralph

Ralph,
Maybe someone here can show or tell how to rig it. It has been too long since I messed with the power steering systems on the Volvo Pentas. I believe the Teleflex cable would work fine since I think that is what this was used with originally. Why don't you figure out if this would work for you first, and then we can work on my selling it to you. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
11-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Bill that is one of the three correct ones. I did my power steering with a Teleflex Sea Star and their electric power assist unit. Expensive but easy and NO extra belts at all. Mu Corsican has ONE belt. The water pump is crank driven.

Randy,
Is there any chance you could show the rigging that you set up? Not having to rig a power steering pump off the engine sounds great. Bill

BigGrizzly
11-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Ralph, the answer to your question is yes. our 16 is left hand and it uses the teleflex.
Bill shoot me an Email at randy.carabelli@gmailcom. Since I have posted the pictures on the net before it does not let me do it again. It is in other posts but may be hard to find. One more thing, If you asked me would I do it again, Yes in a heart beat. One of the easiest and best things I could have done.:yes::yes:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Ralph, the answer to your question is yes. our 16 is left hand and it uses the teleflex.
Bill shoot me an Email at randy.carabelli@gmailcom. Since I have posted the pictures on the net before it does not let me do it again. It is in other posts but may be hard to find. One more thing, If you asked me would I do it again, Yes in a heart beat. One of the easiest and best things I could have done.:yes::yes:

Randy, I will send you an email. Whenever the site tells me that I have already posted a picture, it gives a link to the thread. Once I find the actual post with the picture that I want to repost, I have a couple options. One option is to click on the post # in the upper right corner which will bring up another window with just that post. I can then copy the link in the address bar and paste it into the thread. Another option is to right click on the actual picture and hit the properties bar which will bring up another window showing the address which I then highlight and copy. I can then paste the picture address in the thread. I know - far too much clicking, but I thought I would pass this along. Bill

BigGrizzly
11-29-2009, 08:25 AM
Sent the email to you- enjoy it if you have any questions just call.

The X Man
11-29-2009, 08:10 PM
The power steering unit Bill posted a photo of is just like the one I put in my the X-18. The gray braket (painter black on mine) through bolts to the top of the volvo drive, using the transom assembly bolts. You can also change the tiller arm easily to match the unit. Here's a shot of mine installed.