PDA

View Full Version : Makita 1/2" lithium-ion battery drill

Conquistador_del_mar
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
A week ago, I got an email from Amazon about a special offer on this drill for only $164.45 with free shipping. It is only a little more right now. I just got it yesterday, and it is a fantastic drill so I wanted to pass the deal along. It comes with an extra battery and fan cooled charger - highly cool. The drill has an LED light to help illuminate when you press the variable speed trigger, too. This is a great deal if you want an extra cordless drill with all the nice features. Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BDF452HW-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Driver-Drill/dp/B000K6ILDW/ref=br_fq_10?pf_rd_p=484657931&pf_rd_s=center-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=228375&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=17MN8ZBAYFSYMABWAZKE

fegettes
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I have several Ryobi cordless products. I prefer to maintain the same manufacture so I can interchange the batteries in what ever tool I am using. I purchased the new Lithium battery when they came out, and used it maybe twice. However, the battery only lasted a couple months and it no longer will hold, or take a charge. It left me feelilng disappointed.

Steve

Conquistador_del_mar
11-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I have several Ryobi cordless products. I prefer to maintain the same manufacture so I can interchange the batteries in what ever tool I am using. I purchased the new Lithion battery when they came out, and used it maybe twice. However, the battery only lasted a couple months and it no longer will hold, or take a charge. It left me feelilng disappointed.

Steve

Steve,
There must be a problem with their batteries or charger which are probably still under warranty? I bought a Chicago Pnuematic 18V cordless drill a few months ago with the lithium-ion battery thinking it was a good deal at $99, but this deal is really good in my book with the two batteries and case with a better cooldown charger + a better brand of Makita. By the way, I have not had any problems with the Chicago setup and I have used it a lot. Bill

fegettes
11-19-2009, 03:21 PM
Bill, I am hopeful my Lithium battery failure is an isolated failure as I have about ten Ryobi tools utilizing their batteries. And since I purchased their first run of Lithium batteries they have since been upgraded.

Steve

MOP
11-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Just a hint I have a hand tool repair depot close by, I had a self tightening chuck on my Makita go bad so I dropped it off. When I went to pick it up I was BSing with the counter guy about needing a battery and that Home Depot had them for Yada Yada, he laughed and said junk! I said I saw them they look exactly like mine, the opened a can of worms he said stay here. He went out into the shop and came back with a tray full of old parts, one by one he went through and showed me the difference between gears, brush holders and the general innards to show the difference between Home Depot type stores and what you buy at the lumber yard. Believe me the parts are way cheaper in the discount stores stuff, he said remember years ago when you went to those stores the Makita stuff was red home owner grade not blue I said yes. He said now the only way to tell is to open them up to see what is inside! I bought my battery from him about fours years back and it is still cooking. Moral don't buy anything you want to last from the discount houses, by the way DeWalt is the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Schnook
11-19-2009, 07:19 PM
. He said now the only way to tell is to open them up to see what is inside! I bought my battery from him about fours years back and it is still cooking. Moral don't buy anything you want to last from the discount houses, by the way DeWalt is the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for that info. I need to replace my dewalt xrp batteries after about 4 years of working them like a borrowed mule. I got them from grainger, so I guess I won't be getting the new ones from any discount box store!

gcarter
11-19-2009, 07:22 PM
One major difference between lithium batteries and NMH batteries is the lithium batteries are very sensitive to charge "state".
They don't like being discharged too rapidly or too much.
They'll never recover.
In a lot of applications, there's software in place to not allow damaging activities.
Some applications aren't the best use of these wonderful batteries.

HOWARD O
11-19-2009, 09:07 PM
I bought a complete set of 18v. NMH Milwaukee tools back in 2003 from Home Desperate. They've worked great and I love the drill. Cordless sawzall has proved to be the handiest tool ever. But I actually filled out the warranty card when I bought them (I never do that) and got a letter last year that the batteries could potentially blow up and they were offering to replace them free of charge. Sent them in and new and improved came about 2 weeks later. Thought that was pretty decent for already having owned them for 5 years.

It's a hammer drill, but I have used it as a "double" hammer drill.....I often use it to drive nails in with the backside of the drill. :eek: I beat the heck out of it and it just keeps working like new.