PDA

View Full Version : Time For A RANT

fasttrucker
11-18-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh boy,listed my 16 outboard on craigslist...:nilly:........Why do I get responses from people who want a day crusier.....go buy a bayliner....Its a high performance donzi hello.....hello anyone home!!!!!!!!they say,!I have four kids....I say it has a jack plate and goes fast.Then they want.:toiletpap what...........?:popcorn::bonk:

harbormaster
11-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Craigslist is a strange animal sometimes... I listed a car on there for weeks with hardly a bite. I relisted it 2 months later and my phone rang off of the wall!

realbold
11-18-2009, 06:22 PM
I've sold a lot of stuff on craigslist and occasionally see something I might want to buy. I cannot understand why people post ads and dont give their phone #. 2 weeks ago some guy posted a rebuilt Merc engine and drive, exactly what a computerless friend of mine wants. I emailed him to ask questions and he replied 2 days later. Since then I've emailed him 3 times to see it and he doesn't respond. Meanwhile he keeps updating his ad.:confused::nilly::mad:

LuauLounge
11-18-2009, 08:00 PM
Posted this in June
WTB - 19' to 22" Speedboat

I am looking to buy a nice Donzi, Scarab, Baja, Fountain, ChrisCraft boat... Must be V8, MPI preferred.
Not looking for speed, as much as style. Seat 5+, not looking for a blown jet, nor a direct drive skiboat. I
am looking for a newer boat/and/or a garage queen.
Not a scam, only looking to purchase a nice boat at a reasonable price.
Thanks
Please resond with particulars to: xxxxx@gmail.com
Posted in Sacramento also... Will travel to Bay Area for the right boat.
Thanks
Tom

One response to ad:

I have a 1998 Donzi 22Zx that I’m planning to put up for sale this month. The boat is well maintained and is
in excellent shape with a 496 Magnum HO engine (425 HP). This engine was bought new in 2002 and has
less than 70hours on it. The boat is kept in dry storage and never seen salt water.

It was just as advertised, now sitting on my Hydrohoist

Cuda
11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
I've sold three boats, two motorcycles, and two four wheelers on Craigs List. I have pretty good luck with big ticket items on there. I've been getting a lot of spam and scams lately on there.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-18-2009, 10:16 PM
I use craiglist quite often with great results, but you have to weed out the idiots and scammers. I think I sold 3 cars and a boat just this year along with buying 2 boats and a truck along with other smaller items both bought and sold. I always include my phone number and list my stuff with great pictures that link from photobucket. Most buyers tell me that the pictures sold the items - just a heads up. Bill

Just Say N20
11-19-2009, 09:14 AM
list my stuff with great pictures that link from photobucket. Most buyers tell me that the pictures sold the items - just a heads up. Bill

That's the secret. I have sold EVERYTHING I ever listed on Craigslist using great linked pictures from photobucket, even linked a couple videos showing an outboard running, and a generator running. People always say the pictures sold it.

I just helped an older friend (78 years old) sell his motorhome on craigslist. Same thing. BIG pictures so it.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-19-2009, 10:13 AM
That's the secret. I have sold EVERYTHING I ever listed on Craigslist using great linked pictures from photobucket, even linked a couple videos showing an outboard running, and a generator running. People always say the pictures sold it.

I just helped an older friend (78 years old) sell his motorhome on craigslist. Same thing. BIG pictures so it.

Yep, those 4 low resolution pictures that come with the listing don't cut it when you are talking about needing some detail. I have had at least 5 guys write to me asking how to do it and some local guys wanting me to list their stuff. I learned how to do it after right clicking on a picture in a listing once and seeing the properties of the picture - from there it was just a matter of doing it myself. Craigslist is a wonderful way to buy and sell locally.
I have met two guys who make money on cars by continuously updating the listings and being the first one there with cash. One of the guys who bought a 1964 Land Rover from me told me about doubling his money on a 1971 Porsche 911E in only a few days. Bill

dr
11-19-2009, 12:11 PM
I’ve tried various items but with no luck….it’s always a scammer, in fact it’s so bad an occasional idiot would be a pleasant change….lots of Nigerian Princes and Albanians who’ve won millions wanting to buy my used tennis rackets and tires….

Tidbart
11-19-2009, 12:20 PM
I only take phone call now on C-list ads, no email anymore due to scammers.
Weeds them out in a hurry.

B

Cuda
11-19-2009, 12:21 PM
I had one send me three phony postal money orders. I took it to the post office and gave it to them. It had his address on it.

Schnook
11-19-2009, 12:38 PM
The latest scam around here is "I knew the shame of having to sell things on CL to feed my 7 kids, but a friend told me about this great program, and now I'll never have to work again. I want to share it with you, just click on this link to find out how."

Cuda
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
The latest scam around here is "I knew the shame of having to sell things on CL to feed my 7 kids, but a friend told me about this great program, and now I'll never have to work again. I want to share it with you, just click on this link to find out how."
Bingo! I tell em to f off and get a job.

realbold
11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
I've received several emails like that.

joseph m. hahnl
11-19-2009, 07:43 PM
Oh boy,listed my 16 outboard on craigslist...:nilly:........Why do I get responses from people who want a day crusier.....go buy a bayliner....Its a high performance donzi hello.....hello anyone home!!!!!!!!they say,!I have four kids....I say it has a jack plate and goes fast.Then they want.:toiletpap what...........?:popcorn::bonk:

I totally feel for you:yes:

how about :boggled: I only need a steering wheel would you consider stripping parts off it ,oh and maybe the speedo too .

I wanted to e mail a guy back who wanted the front wheel off my Honda CB900C that I'm selling for $500.00. The Email was going to say Yes I will sell you the front wheel for $500.00
and I'll throw the rest off the bike in with it:eek:.

It can be trying but you got to keep on, as you'll eventually find the right buyer.