PDA

View Full Version : So anyone else stressed about this?

Jraysray
11-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Right now I can run my boat at a moments notice. Right now I need to tear it down and re work it. Damn the irony. Who wants to drop $$$$$ into it? I have been avoiding it. Any advice would be welcomed. I want to be back on the water in MAY 2010.

I need a plan.

Going without is not an option. I RUN MY BOAT A LOT. Almost every weekend.

fasttrucker
11-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Credit Cards will help you out!:bonk:

JeffH
11-17-2009, 02:42 PM
I went through that last year...forced on me though (and it was during the summer)!

Hey, now I have a new engine, radio, bling, tabs, mooring cover, and a very small wallet!:hangum:

With the exception of a very large wave knocking most of what I put on, off, I had a trouble free summer!

Do it, and don't look back!

JH

Nice color scheme by way. What does it need?

Ghost
11-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Right now I can run my boat at a moments notice. Right now I need to tear it down and re work it. Damn the irony. Who wants to drop $$$$$ into it? I have been avoiding it. Any advice would be welcomed. I want to be back on the water in MAY 2010.

I need a plan.

Going without is not an option. I RUN MY BOAT A LOT. Almost every weekend.

YES!(I too am stressed about this.)

Jraysray
11-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Credit Cards will help you out!:bonk:

Thats not funny..... Dont make me sic my wife on you. She bites. I am not a do it myself guy, but I get it. I can see this becoming a donzi.net project. I value the pros opinion.

HOWARD O
11-17-2009, 03:02 PM
It's a disease! Mine needs to have the engine refreshed and can use a complete cosmetic restoration too. New gauges, new upholstery, etc. Plus, mine's on the lift in the backyard and I like to go for a spin daily, so that's not helping! I stress about it, but it'll get done when the funds allow. I can do everything but engine and upholstery, but it's still a lot of coin and finding a place to work on it is going to prove difficult too. Plus I'd like to have a new trailer too! Then there's the.........oh nevermind!

NOW I'M REALLY STRESSED ABOUT IT! THANKS A LOT! :nilly:

We did shred out credit cards years ago.....that is definitely one thing less to stress about!

VetteLT193
11-17-2009, 03:13 PM
There are lots of good boat deals out there right now. pick up a deal to use while you re-work your boat... when your boat is done, sell the good deal boat.

Just Say N20
11-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I'm not stressed at all. Not anymore. When I realized it wasn't going to get wet this summer, I have become more relaxed about the process.

Just about done with all the seat repair, stringer replacement, dash rebuilding, etc.

Then we start sanding in preparation for a new paint job. And also attack the engine, not to do anything special, other than replace the leaking parts, and get the dingy sized chunks of rust off the block.

I did get the new white oak bow eye block in last night. Much more manly than the small, destroyed piece that was in there. For posterity, I wrote the hull number on it in black marker.

Cuda
11-17-2009, 03:36 PM
There are lots of good boat deals out there right now. pick up a deal to use while you re-work your boat... when your boat is done, sell the good deal boat.
Exactly what I was thinking.

Jraysray
11-17-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm not stressed at all. Not anymore. When I realized it wasn't going to get wet this summer, I have become more relaxed about the process.

Just about done with all the seat repair, stringer replacement, dash rebuilding, etc.

Then we start sanding in preparation for a new paint job. And also attack the engine, not to do anything special, other than replace the leaking parts, and get the dingy sized chunks of rust off the block.

I did get the new white oak bow eye block in last night. Much more manly than the small, destroyed piece that was in there. For posterity, I wrote the hull number on it in black marker.

Really? You just cranked it up another level. Geeezzz. I am not a stressed out dude. Having fun here. Trying to follow the Dave Ramsey point of view. I am wanting a cruiser of some sort so this is not helping much.

gcarter
11-17-2009, 04:36 PM
You've lots of Donzi buddies around you to get through the intervening time.
Do it, and do it right.
Take your time!:yes:

silverghost
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Restoration projects always take & cost 3-4 times as much as originally projected; especially if you don't do much of the work yourself !
You need a "Spare Driver Boat" while your Donzi Project is pulled-apart & being restored!
I have seen far too many unfinished projects over the years~
Many discouraged project owners too!
It might be better to look for an already restored boat that is almost turn-key~
My Dad always says to by the best restored collector boat or car you can afford ~
You won't be sorry or stuck without a boat you can USE NOW that way!

Just Say N20
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Really? You just cranked it up another level. Geeezzz. I am not a stressed out dude. Having fun here. Trying to follow the Dave Ramsey point of view. I am wanting a cruiser of some sort so this is not helping much.

Dave Ramsey point of view is good. If you can afford a cruiser, that is good too. We spend almost every week end on ours, which is how I got through the summer without the Donzi running. That and rides in the dingy.

You've lots of Donzi buddies around you to get through the intervening time.
Do it, and do it right.
Take your time!

Parnell has been supportive, but he is way-deep into his next project :yes:.

I am doing it right, but my right is nowhere near what yours is. My hull will be improved over stock, and very strong, but not the perfect show case boat yours is going to be.

BUIZILLA
11-17-2009, 05:00 PM
stressed????

stressed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll tell you what STRESSED is.... losing a $469,400 sale by $300...... :nilly: :bonk: :boggled: :smash: :hangum:

Just Say N20
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
I meant to say almost every week end during the summer on ours. It would be no fun to be on the boat during the winter in Michigan. :biggrin:

Jraysray
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
The boat is way past original so I need not stress about that. I always said I should name it "As Is" cause that is what it is. I love it that way, the prior owner shall "live on" in my boat.

Just Say N20
11-17-2009, 05:08 PM
stressed????

stressed !!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'll tell you what STRESSED is.... losing a $469,400 sale by $300...... :nilly: :bonk: :boggled: :smash: :hangum:

Ow! Missed by it by less than 1% (actually .0639%!)

Jraysray
11-17-2009, 05:36 PM

JH

Nice color scheme by way. What does it need?[/quote]

Well, engine/outdrive and gauges need replacement. Seats and carpet good. K-plane pump needs repair Latham good but needs ps pump relocated. Transom has ALWAYS leaked.

As we all know the initial dive under the hatch never tell's the whole truth.

realbold
11-17-2009, 08:23 PM
I thought about doing this many times, but never did it because it would probably definitely delay the project.

Phil S
11-17-2009, 11:34 PM
buizilla defines "stress" with his response....sheesh.....(what was up for sale there brutha ?...hopefully not a boat ?

Run it, drive it, like ya stole it....keep it safe though. Sure, I'd like a new interior on mine, but the floor got in the way first. Now a starter replacement, which after I took out the whole back-end to reduce the labor costs of someone else to replace it, I've decided that while it's that far apart, let's go ahead and replace some more (unknown age) parts while we're there...gimbal bearing, bellows', etc. I'm not sure it ever ends, 'cause as soon as all this is replaced, it will sure as heck be something else. I think Howard's right...it's a disease !

Since it seems to be incurable though, like you, we are also looking into cruisers. Or whatever one might call the "towable cruisers". I'm thinking 26' ft or so given about a 7-8k lbs towing capacity. Any suggestions to further our disease will be much appreciated. Wanna go in half on a 52 footer Jraysray ? :wink:

WKR,
Phil S

Cuda
11-18-2009, 05:57 AM
I buy a boat as an investment in my sanity. If I stressed over one, I'd take up mumbly peg as a sport. :)

jimishooch
11-18-2009, 07:59 AM

JH

Nice color scheme by way. What does it need?

Well, engine/outdrive and gauges need replacement. Seats and carpet good. K-plane pump needs repair Latham good but needs ps pump relocated. Transom has ALWAYS leaked.

As we all know the initial dive under the hatch never tell's the whole truth.[/quote]

hey scott,
i know you wanted to go bigger on the engine so maybe you could find a used or crate engine.
what drive do you have?
my worry would be the transom leak..........
can harbormaster help you help?
good luck
jim

JeffH
11-18-2009, 08:28 AM
Harbormaster is lickin' his chops:wink:!

He did a great job on mine by the way...

I'm not mechanically inclined however, so I had no choice but to let the pro's handle it:yes:!