PDA

View Full Version : Kill switch

daved
11-17-2009, 05:59 AM
I have to replace the missing kill switch on my 22c, 86'
The original one is missing so I can't tell what wires in the harness the new one should tie into. Has anyone done this and could possibly offer any help? I am not sure if the wiring harness is the same on all 1986 boats but it makes sense if the wires were the same. The previous owner told me the old switch was the reason for the engine cutting out so he removed it. I think this is an important safety tool and would like to have it working.
Thanks,Dave

gcarter
11-17-2009, 06:43 AM
Many of the switches come w/4 spade terminals, 2 (opposite of each other) for normally off, and 2 for normally on. You can use a meter to determine which is which. If you use the normally closed terminals, there's a ground that runs to the engine that is wired to the switch so that when the tether is pulled, the ignition will ground and the engine dies.
The more common way is to run the purple ignition hot lead through the normally open terminals so when the plunger is pushed in there is continuity to the coil.
The only down side is that most of these switches are only rated for 10 amps and if you're using the switched ignition lead to run anything other than the coil, (i.e., electric fuel pump, electric circ pump) you need to make other arrangements for them.

MOP
11-17-2009, 06:47 AM
The switch type that was in our 86's was a coil grounding kill, you can hookup the modern way by cutting into the purple wire circuit off the back of the key switch. I did it that way on mine when I put my new kill switch in.

Phil

daved
11-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Phil and George,
Thanks for the info. I will give this a shot this weekend.
Dave