PDA

View Full Version : 22 Classic Shelby...just wondering...

axelkloehn
11-17-2009, 02:46 AM
Hi folks,

I am just wondering, does the 22 Classic Shelby have a (Ford based) engine tuned by Shelby? Or is it just a marketing thing? Does anyone know more about the story why it is called "Shelby"? I only saw it with 496 mercs...

Cheers, Axel :germany:

jg480
11-17-2009, 03:33 AM
Axel, I believe the come pretty much with a 496 or 496ho
Jim

Pismo
11-17-2009, 05:57 AM
Marketing, it's a totally stock GM engine. Shelby has probably never even seen one..

gcarter
11-17-2009, 06:45 AM
In fact, Shelby's last attempt to build a sports car had a Cadillac North Star engine.

Last Tango
11-17-2009, 09:50 AM
If you are referring to the 21st century-built 22 Classic, then the only thing actually Shelby about the boats is the printed words in the deck striping. Everything else is stock Mercury Marine. It is a design (marketing) package, only.

However, back in the day (late '60's) there was a Shelby Edition that actually had a Ford motor.

axelkloehn
11-17-2009, 09:58 AM
If you are referring to the 21st century-built 22 Classic, then the only thing actually Shelby about the boats is the printed words in the deck striping. Everything else is stock Mercury Marine. It is a design (marketing) package, only.

However, back in the day (late '60's) there was a Shelby Edition that actually had a Ford motor.

Is that true? Can you tell me which Donzi they took for a Shelby-edition in the late 60's? 16",18" or bigger ones like the GT?
Would love to see a picture of the 60's Shelby-Edition. Does anybody have one?

mrfixxall
11-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Can you tell me which model they took for a Shelby-edition? 16",18" or bigger ones like the GT?
Would love to see a picture of the 60ies Shelby-Edition. Does anybody have one?

Axel, in the 60's they were refering to the shelby mustang (car)

In the boat version they were only 22' classics. Year 200? era

fixx

Mr X
11-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Marketing, it's a totally stock GM engine. Shelby has probably never even seen one..

Actually, Carol Shelby Has (ownes) one.

axelkloehn
11-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Actually, Carol Shelby Has (ownes) one.

He might got it for free for giving his name for it!
(Well, I bet he got even more for that...)

silverghost
11-17-2009, 10:42 AM
Carol Shelby has done many great things in the past & has built many great Shelby cars ~
These days he seems to lend his name to almost anything~
For a $$$ buck!
Z-Max an example~
Much of this money he is using to fund his charity foundation.
He also fights anyone who uses his Shelby name and designs without paying him a royalty.

gcarter
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
The last I heard, he charges $25.00 for his autograph, but it goes to his foundation.

CHACHI
11-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Carol Shelby has done many great things in the past & has built many great Shelby cars ~
Lets not forget the Dodge Shelby Omni.

Ken

HOWARD O
11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I think we should all be grateful to Carrroll Shelby for all he's done for motorsports, but he isn't thought too highly of in some Cobra circles.....there's some interesting reading here if you're interested:

http://www.cobracountry.com/home2.html

joseph m. hahnl
11-17-2009, 05:24 PM
I thought that boat derived from the Aronow edition. which didn't sit well with the Aronow family. So they Renamed it the shelby Addition.
Did Les paul own a Donzi guitar?

http://www.gibson.com/press/custom/img/Donzi%20LP.jpg

Last Tango
11-18-2009, 10:12 AM
I don't know about Les Paul owning one of those guitars, but this group had a chance to buy one at an auction we had in Sarasota a few years ago at a Donzi Home Town Gathering. Mike Miller brought a brand spanking new one and it was auctioned off successfully. Went pretty cheap that night, as I recall. But then, it made a bundle a few years later. I think he offered it here first, and not sure if he got his price from one of us.

dsparis
11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
After seeing the guitar I'm suprised Donzi has'nt had the boobs at Orange County Choppers build a "Donzi bike".

HOWARD O
11-18-2009, 02:58 PM
Someone here owns a Donzi guitar.... Barry maybe?

HOWARD O
11-18-2009, 02:59 PM
After seeing the guitar I'm suprised Donzi has'nt had the boobs at Orange County Choppers build a "Donzi bike".

lol, I don't think Donzi can afford one of those!

DonziJosh
11-18-2009, 03:03 PM
This is my new favorite thread.

CHACHI
11-19-2009, 06:01 AM

I would sell my boat.

Ken

dsparis
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
Just imagine a new Donzi bike designed by Paul Jr. Designs. Oh the possibilities !

VetteLT193
11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I actually wouldn't mind Paul Jr. designing an actual Donzi. I'm sure that it would blow the "009 Edition" away.

Mr X
11-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm thinking Chip Foose would be better.

axelkloehn
11-20-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm thinking Chip Foose would be better.

if he would be still alive....

Mr X
11-20-2009, 06:07 AM
if he would be still alive....

Huh? :confused:

Ghost
11-20-2009, 06:09 AM
Huh? :confused:

I did the same thing. I found stuff that said Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose's sister had both passed away, but I didn't see anything that suggested Chip had.

axelkloehn
11-20-2009, 07:18 AM
I did the same thing. I found stuff that said Boyd Coddington and Chip Foose's sister had both passed away, but I didn't see anything that suggested Chip had.

...you're right. It was his sister. That's the way rumours start to circulate...:bonk: Funny thread...

Mr X
11-20-2009, 08:41 AM
...you're right. It was his sister. That's the way rumours start to circulate...:bonk: Funny thread...
You must still be hungover from Octoberfest!! :drinkbeer:

axelkloehn
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
You must still be hungover from Octoberfest!! :drinkbeer:

Yep...:alky:

Just Say N20
11-20-2009, 10:58 AM
How about something like this?

Sorry, I didn't have the time to Photoshop the picture to include DONZI logos.

Carl C
11-20-2009, 11:35 AM
I feel that Donzi has created too many special edition Classics and in doing so has eliminated any collector value that they might otherwise have had. The only performance enhancement that I am aware of on the Shelby Classic is the raised "X". The boat should have come with a special engine designed with some input from Carrol Shelby. Why is Donzi afraid of putting more power in the 22C? It has been proven that they are capable 100+ mph hulls. If we want to run over 75 or so then we must endure the expense and work of a repower. I can't believe that liability is the reason since many other boat builders are making even smaller boats that run much faster. The little STVs can run 115 mph.:confused:

I would not spend the extra money on the Shelby edition. My boat was ordered with the Shelby fairing and repowered with a HP525EFI and XR drive with Imco shorty lower. Steering is going on in the spring. My "cuddy" area is finished and carpeted and two people can sleep in there or I can stow lots of gear now. That mod added only 15 pounds.

I guess I built my own, one of a kind, Special Edition!

Come on Donzi, we want performance.

JMO :)

zelatore
11-20-2009, 12:18 PM
I feel that Donzi has created too many special edition Classics and in doing so has eliminated any collector value that they might otherwise have had. The only performance enhancement that I am aware of on the Shelby Classic is the raised "X". The boat should have come with a special engine designed with some input from Carrol Shelby. Why is Donzi afraid of putting more power in the 22C? It has been proven that they are capable 100+ mph hulls. If we want to run over 75 or so then we must endure the expense and work of a repower. I can't believe that liability is the reason since many other boat builders are making even smaller boats that run much faster. The little STVs can run 115 mph.:confused:

I would not spend the extra money on the Shelby edition. My boat was ordered with the Shelby fairing and repowered with a HP525EFI and XR drive with Imco shorty lower. Steering is going on in the spring. My "cuddy" area is finished and carpeted and two people can sleep in there or I can stow lots of gear now. That mod added only 15 pounds.

Somebody's gonna rip me a new one for this, but I agree with Carl.

Wait, before anybody yells at me I can make it all better - put some steering on that thing Carl! There, now I'm safely back in the herd.
:wink:

gcarter
11-20-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't know, but I think Donzi would rather put more power into a double or triple stepped hull in the 34'-45' range where performance is easier to attain, the hull characteristics are much more forgiving and they're probably easier to sell.
Carl, you mentioned a STV......is that a deep Vee monohull????
I didn't think so.
Most of us are'nt capable of driving a 22' monohull @100 MPH, nor do many of us want to (I assume, I know I don't!).
The Classic style hull was developed by C. Raymond Hunt in the '50's.
That hull form was cutting edge in its day.
Its design limit is really about 75 MPH, and not the speeds you want to attain. It can be done, but not in complete safety.
Technology has moved on to other areas where the kind of performance you're asking for is pretty easy to attain.
But not in a deep Vee monohull.
So, Donzi does build the kind of performance you want, just not in a Classic.

Last Tango
11-20-2009, 03:06 PM
The older Classic 22's with 454 HO's and the newer Classic 22's with the 496 MAG HO's sell very well for a low production boat. When you jump to the 525EFI motor you also jump about $25,000 in price. Now the market may have room for a HANDFUL of Donzi 22 Classic's with 525's, and several have been built that way. So it can be done, but only if you want to spend the really big bucks. I am aware of only one person on this forum who has had such a boat in his posession, and he can probably tell you how many actually rolled out the door. Just because it is not in the catalog, doesn't mean Donzi hasn't made one or more. You have to know the right folks, and you have to spend the (big) money up front. It's like trying to order a brand new full-on Police Special Dodge Charger SRT8. YOU probably can't, but folks (cities) do, and then individuals wait until they come up for resale...
Considering the low percentage of folks on this forum who actually buy brand new Donzi's rather than the far more common previously owned ones, I'd say we don't speak from a position of consumer strength on this topic.
Of my four Donzi's since 1999, three were brand new, and only one of those was a special order by me. Since I willingly accepted what Donzi had already built in 3 out of 4 cases, I guess a market survey would lean heavily toward what we already see in the catalog.
Just my opinion, of course.
You may experience different results.

And like George said, if you can afford a new Donzi with a 525EFI, then the 27ZR is waiting for you.

axelkloehn
11-20-2009, 03:33 PM

...would love to see pix of your boat and the "cuddy"-modification, I plan to do the same...

Carl C
11-20-2009, 04:23 PM
...would love to see pix of your boat and the "cuddy"-modification, I plan to do the same...

Axel, I'll dig up some pics or links when I'm not at work. George, the 525 will get the 22C into the mid 80s. When I said that it was capable of 100+ I meant that the 525 would still be well below it's maximum safe top speed. The 27 ZR is nice but it's not the boat I want. The 22 is a nice size to get me on the small lakes in addition to the Great Lakes. I'm just saying the 525 should be offered for the few that would want it. And a 525 boat would really be a SPECIAL edition!!!

gcarter
11-20-2009, 04:51 PM
George, the 525 will get the 22C into the mid 80s. When I said that it was capable of 100+ I meant that the 525 would still be well below it's maximum safe top speed. The 27 ZR is nice but it's not the boat I want. The 22 is a nice size to get me on the small lakes in addition to the Great Lakes. I'm just saying the 525 should be offered for the few that would want it. And a 525 boat would really be a SPECIAL edition!!!
Carl, I understand completely what you're saying.
But like Todd mentioned a few weeks ago what the costs are w/the required extra equipment to utilize 525 HP, a new 22C would be OVER $100K!
I don't see a line for such a boat.
And there're plenty of other boats on the market in that price point that will completely overwhelm a 22C in performance.

I guess you're doing the right thing for you, but I wouldn't expect Donzi to market it.

Mr X
11-20-2009, 06:36 PM
Carl, I understand completely what you're saying.
But like Todd mentioned a few weeks ago what the costs are w/the required extra equipment to utilize 525 HP, a new 22C would be OVER $100K!
I don't see a line for such a boat.
And there're plenty of other boats on the market in that price point that will completely overwhelm a 22C in performance.

I guess you're doing the right thing for you, but I wouldn't expect Donzi to market it.

I agree 100% Carl, you said "I would not spend the extra money on the Shelby edition". Would you spend the money to buy one with bigger power?

Besides, someone would have to be crazy to have over $100K in a 22! :wink:
Err....well over...

Carl C
11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree 100% Carl, you said "I would not spend the extra money on the Shelby edition". Would you spend the money to buy one with bigger power?

Err....well over...

I was disappointed that I could not purchase a new 22C with the 525. The repower cost me about $30,000. When steering is done I will have 90k in my little hot rod Donzi. I guess I'm crazy.....:bonk:.......but I'm not the only one.

joseph m. hahnl
11-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Err....well over...

I guess we are surrounded by crazy people here:wink: , I'm sure your not only one:outtahere::screwy:

Mr X
11-20-2009, 07:48 PM
I guess we are surrounded by crazy people here:wink: , I'm sure your not only one:outtahere::screwy:
No doubt! I am in good company..:tongue:

Carl C
11-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Axel, here is the link to the thread on the bow mod I did to my boat. There are a bunch of pics of the end result on the last page.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44706&highlight=removed+forward+storage+bin+today

axelkloehn
11-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Axel, here is the link to the thread on the bow mod I did to my boat. There are a bunch of pics of the end result on the last page.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44706&highlight=removed+forward+storage+bin+today

Thanks Carl,

I went through the thread and must say you did a very nice job. It looks like it's more space in the 22Cs bow as I expected to be there. My GT bow is wider than the 22 but not that long, but it's enough to sleep comfortable in there and the fuel tank is much further back.
You gave me motivation and inspiration. I will do it almost the same way but might not glass the floor in.

Cheers, Axel