PDA

View Full Version : Fuel line question....

gcarter
11-16-2009, 12:13 PM
The older classics...(pre '94 at least) had the fuel line running from the tank through a hole in the stbd stringer and aft along the outside of the stringer. They were usually held in place w/three or so clamps, usually screwed into the TOP of the stringer where the screws are completely inaccessable! :(

I've been thinking about running the new fuel line along the inside of the stbd stringer, for several reasons.......
1) It would be completely accessable w/the center compartment pulled out.
2) Gives a better shot to the fuel filter etc.
3) A little more sanitary since the line wouldn't be quite so noticable.

Can anyone tell me if this isn't a good idea?

Conquistador_del_mar
11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
The older classics...(pre '94 at least) had the fuel line running from the tank through a hole in the stbd stringer and aft along the outside of the stringer. They were usually held in place w/three or so clamps, usually screwed into the TOP of the stringer where the screws are completely inaccessable! :(

I've been thinking about running the new fuel line along the inside of the stbd stringer, for several reasons.......

George,
That sure seems logical to me. I can't see any reason to route it outside the stringer. Out of curiosity, will you be installing a rubber fuel line or something else like copper? Bill

gcarter
11-16-2009, 12:36 PM
George,
That sure seems logical to me. I can't see any reason to route it outside the stringer. Out of curiosity, will you be installing a rubber fuel line or something else like copper? BillBill, I always use the Coast Gaurd approved blue, steel reinforced line. Costs a bunch, but it's fireproof, and armoured.

penbroke
11-16-2009, 01:08 PM

That is exactly how I did mine (except on the port side of course ;-). Gives me complete access to the entire length.

Frank

BlownCrewCab
11-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Thats how I have done the ones I have done, along the Top/Inside of the stringer, I like to be able to access everything that could possibly cause me to be Dead (broke down) In the water.

joseph m. hahnl
11-16-2009, 05:10 PM

It's not era correct!!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Conquistador_del_mar
11-16-2009, 10:22 PM
Bill, I always use the Coast Gaurd approved blue, steel reinforced line. Costs a bunch, but it's fireproof, and armoured.

George,
Could you provide a link to the fuel line? Will it be 3/8" or 1/2" line? Does it use hose clamps or end fittings? Sorry about the questions, but I am not familiar with the type you are using. Bill

gcarter
11-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Here you go Bill.......

http://www.aeroquip.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3726

Conquistador_del_mar
11-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Here you go Bill.......

http://www.aeroquip.cc/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=3726

Sounds like good hose. Can you get by on the 1/4" ID hose or will you be using a larger ID for a BBC?

gcarter
11-17-2009, 08:06 PM
I use 3/8".
There's an Aeroquip dealer less than a mile from my office.
The last time I bought one of these (or had it made up) the price was slightly over $100.00.
The way I plumb the tank to the engine mounted filter, there's a valve at the tank and another before the filter/water seperator so a problem can be isolated. Also, I know the fuel line in the bilge won't fail and be the source of fuel in the bilge.
To me, it's worth the investment.

Pismo
11-20-2009, 07:04 PM
5000 psi burst pressure, amazing...