PDA

View Full Version : Hornet

Cottell
11-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I recived some good advice from members about the timing on my Hornet.
have not had the light on it yet but it runs well. It has a 454 with a cam but lower compressoin as it was intended to be supercharged. I decided to skip the boost as we can only get regular fuel in the Bahamas.
I have been babying it as everthing is freshly rebuilt, until a Cigarette Top Gun wanted to race. Of course I had to oblige but couln't get much past 4100 rpm. I am running a 25 Mirage do you thing it is still timing or too much prop? Everone here runs outboards and thinks I am crazy but I love the sound of that big block especially with the CMI headers. By the way it still took a long time for that Cigarette to pass me.
Cheers,
Eric

MOP
11-14-2009, 02:51 PM
You need to grab a light to verify the timing, Once you have that dialed in then you will know if you need a prop. The engine needs to be at its best to decide.

Phil

MOP
11-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Knowing just how saline an atmosphere you run in there are two things you may wish to consider, closed cooling and a Mercathode kit to protect the out drive assembly.

Phil

Ghost
11-14-2009, 02:58 PM
mini-hijack--that is a GREAT looking boat. The lines and fairing/shield set up look just right.

HOWARD O
11-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Sure is purdy! The Hornet is my favorite.

MOP is right, you can't work on the prop until you are positive the timing is dialed in. If it's any help, mine has the 454/330 combo with a TRS outdrive and I am running a 24 and until I rebuild and get some more ponies, it won't push anymore than that. I would think, even with "low compression", you have a deal more power than mine. A 25 sounds doable to me with what you have. Of course, your boat is probably a tad heavier than mine too.

Your Hornet has the same paint scheme as my 1982 22', looks great! Those are obviously recent photos.....must be a rough life down there! :cool:

MOP
11-14-2009, 04:32 PM
Howard I wonder what the weight difference is compared to the 22.

HOWARD O
11-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Howard I wonder what the weight difference is compared to the 22.

Don't have the spec sheets but his being an '83, I think that's when they went to 21', a Hornet III. Higher freeboard, beamier than a 22'? A little more hardware and larger seats, could be a good deal heavier I would think.

mrfixxall
11-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I recived some good advice from members about the timing on my Hornet.
have not had the light on it yet but it runs well. It has a 454 with a cam but lower compressoin as it was intended to be supercharged. I decided to skip the boost as we can only get regular fuel in the Bahamas.
I have been babying it as everthing is freshly rebuilt, until a Cigarette Top Gun wanted to race. Of course I had to oblige but couln't get much past 4100 rpm. I am running a 25 Mirage do you thing it is still timing or too much prop? Everone here runs outboards and thinks I am crazy but I love the sound of that big block especially with the CMI headers. By the way it still took a long time for that Cigarette to pass me.
Cheers,
Eric

The cam in your motor like to run! operating range is 2000-6200 rpm's.. because its a low compression motor you can run a little bit more timing but if you cant get good gas i wouldnt go past 34deg total @ 3600 rpm..i would say find a 21p mirage+ and go beat the snot out of it..:)

HOWARD O
11-14-2009, 06:54 PM
The cam in your motor like to run! operating range is 2000-6200 rpm's..

How do you know that, because of it being built for a supercharger? I believe ya, just curious!

LKSD
11-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Nice boat to be in the Bahamas with.. :) J

BigGrizzly
11-15-2009, 08:17 AM
That boat should be propped with a 23 either M+ or a Turbo1. Considering the hull length and weight