PDA

View Full Version : Bugatti Veyron in Houston-Galveston Bay

Craig S
11-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Bugatti Veyron ends up in Texas saltwater lagoon

© 2009 The Associated Press

Nov. 12, 2009, 8:20AM
LA MARQUE, Texas — A bird is blamed for distracting the driver of a luxury sports car who then drove his Bugatti Veyron into the drink.
La Marque (luh-MAHRK') police say the French-built supercar ended up in a lagoon, coming to rest in about 2 feet of saltwater.
Police say the man from Lufkin, whose name was not immediately released, was not injured in Wednesday afternoon's accident.
Police say the man had been looking at real estate in the Galveston area when he was distracted by a low-flying pelican near Omega Bay.
A tow truck was summoned to extract the rare production vehicle from the muddy pond.
A 2006 Bugatti Veyron was recently offered for sale in Jonesboro, Ark., for $1.25 million.
___
Information from: The Galveston County Daily News, http://www.galvnews.com (http://www.galvnews.com)

Ghost
11-12-2009, 01:26 PM
"So...who's the u-boat commander?" (-Risky Business)

Just Say N20
11-12-2009, 01:37 PM
That is a wicked cool car. I remember reading one of the first road tests for it, and was stuck by the fact that at full throttle, it will empty the 26 gallon fuel tank in around 12 minutes.

You don't normally think in terms of a car being able to use up its entire fuel supply in 12 minutes. Of course it would travel about 51 MILES in those 12 minutes. And get right around 2 mpg, which probably isn't bad for 254 mph.

silverghost
11-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Sounds like the Bugatti owner is a charter member of the "More Money Than Brains Club!"

I would like to hear the call he made to his insurance company claims department !

Used Car Anyone?
I bet you can get a cheap deal here!
I can just imagine what splashing in two feet of salt water will do to that great car!

fegettes
11-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Here is a little more info, with a video.

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=792e1da427373dfb (http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=792e1da427373dfb)

video of tow truck pulling it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaQ9QKrrncY&feature=player_embedded

Jraysray
11-12-2009, 09:19 PM
That is a wicked cool car. I remember reading one of the first road tests for it, and was stuck by the fact that at full throttle, it will empty the 26 gallon fuel tank in around 12 minutes.

You don't normally think in terms of a car being able to use up its entire fuel supply in 12 minutes. Of course it would travel about 51 MILES in those 12 minutes. And get right around 2 mpg, which probably isn't bad for 254 mph.

Another fun fact is that the tires will only last for 30 minutes. "No worries we will be out of petrol way before then"

Just Say N20
11-12-2009, 09:29 PM
You just hate to see something like that happen.

Phil S
11-12-2009, 09:46 PM
a work of art....ruined....what a shame.

You have to appreciate its performance whether you like it or not. I've only seen it on tv...on Top Gear I think.

Didn't a division of Audi produce these ?

Phil S

Ghost
11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
a work of art....ruined....what a shame.

You have to appreciate its performance whether you like it or not. I've only seen it on tv...on Top Gear I think.

Didn't a division of Audi produce these ?

Phil S

That's what I recall as well from the Top Gear--and/or, the Audi R8 was related somehow.

gcarter
11-12-2009, 10:03 PM
Chachi posted here a couple of years ago that a new one was being transported in a closed van down I-95 when it was involved in an accident where the van rolled over multiple times.

Phil S
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
That's what I recall as well from the Top Gear--and/or, the Audi R8 was related somehow.

Ahhhh, the R8....my first purchase after picking up my lottery winnings ! ;) Actually, I'd pick up a few from the Audi stable whilst there. :yes:

zelatore
11-13-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't recall any Audi connection with Bugatti. :confused:

And although I understand that Bubba the tow truck driver doesn't want to get wet, I'd be more than a little upset if they just wraped a chain around the wheel of my car to drag it out of the mud. Even after they got it up on land they still drug it around by the wheel!! Nice move there Bubba.

I know the car has a full underbody, but I'd be willing to bet it also has a provision to attach a towing bit. But you know, anybody who has a nice car like that must be an asshole who has it coming.

(Granted, he might well be an asshole. His driving is certainly suspect.)

Still, if there wasn't damage to that wheel and suspension/drive components, there certainly is now! But what's a few thousand more in damages between friends, eh?

Ghost
11-13-2009, 12:42 PM
I don't recall any Audi connection with Bugatti. :confused:

I think you're right. I Googled a few things and didn't see any relationship--I suspect since a lot of people compare the two (Top Gear included) that confused myself.

Phil S
11-13-2009, 12:57 PM
I mis-spoke....Volkswagen is Bugatti's parent company.

Phil S.

BUIZILLA
11-13-2009, 01:01 PM
And although I understand that Bubba the tow truck driver doesn't want to get wet, I'd be more than a little upset if they just wraped a chain around the wheel of my car to drag it out of the mud. Even after they got it up on land they still drug it around by the wheel!! Nice move there Bubba. what difference does it make, the car is full of SALT WATER... :cistineb:

Jraysray
11-13-2009, 01:39 PM
Quote from article "The Veyron’s powerful engine gurgled like an outboard motor for about 15 minutes before it died."

WTH???? Did this dude totaly lose it and just let the engine run?

Ghost
11-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Quote from article "The Veyron’s powerful engine gurgled like an outboard motor for about 15 minutes before it died."

WTH???? Did this dude totaly lose it and just let the engine run?

LOL, so if you were trying to find someone who would "totally lose it and just let the engine run", wouldn't someone who would submerge a brand new flippin' Bugatti seem like a good choice? :)

Jraysray
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Good point! Guy might have been passed out or went for a short walk.

gold-n-rod
11-13-2009, 03:59 PM
Good point! Guy might have been passed out or went for a short walk.

Or he couldn't afford the car and was looking for an easy "total."

Phil S
11-13-2009, 06:37 PM
My wife said she saw an article on it that said he dropped his cell-phone....

....must have been one helluva phone call !

Here's what I think happened :

Veyron Driver: Heeellloooo...

Significant "Other": We need to talk...

Veyron Driver: Oh, hey babe....what about ?

Significant "Other": Well, I met this guy last night that I really like, sooo, I don't think we should see each other any more.

Veyron Driver: WTF ? Who would break up with a guy like me...I own a Bugatti Veyron for cryin' out loud !!!

Significant "Other": Well, that's nice and all, but this guy owns a DONZI !

Veyron Driver: What the hell's a Donzi anyway ?

Significant "Other": It's a very cool boat df.

Veyron Driver: A boat ?..Hell, my car will float !! I'll prove it to ya !

Significant "Other": click

:wink:

Craig S
11-13-2009, 07:01 PM
mas agua

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK0dOVb5Sbs&feature=player_embedded

Ed Donnelly
11-14-2009, 02:25 AM
Phil S; Quite the imagination:hyper::hyper: ...Ed

mrfixxall
11-15-2009, 05:40 PM
http://www.am1500.com/link/Guy_crashes_16_million_Bugatti_Veyron_wasnt_dodgin g_pelicans

gold-n-rod
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
So, a guy buys a $1.6m soopercar.
He insures it for full value.
He submarines it; of course, it's an accident..... and it's a total loss.
His insurance company pays it off.
He buys the car back and conveniently fixes it up in his own shop.

This, boys and girls, is how to get a 1.6m car for pennies on the dollar.

silverghost
11-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Gold-N-Rod
Good Plan~
BUT ~ one big flaw ~

I would have picked a freshwater lake, pond, or creek!

He will never get all that salt out of each and every place on that car.

Craig S
11-16-2009, 02:25 PM
or just buyer remorse.