PDA

View Full Version : Donzi Trailer Serial Numbers

oledawg
11-10-2009, 06:05 AM
OK, so this isn't really about performance but I need some guidance. Am trying to get my 1988 Donzi trailer titled and tagged which in NC can be interesting. Just finally got it done on my Correct Craft, problem occurs when previous NC owner didn't title/tag trailer and it came before that from a state that doesn't require it. You totally lose the paper trail. Trailer is for a Classic 22, and as I stated, is a factory tandem trailer with Donzi logos, etc. in red matching the boat.

In any case, I have the process down now and need to come up with the serial number on the factory trailer. I have searched every reasonable place and see NOTHING that looks like a serial number. HELP! Got to be one somewhere. :banghead:

VetteLT193
11-10-2009, 06:51 AM
If you really need one you can probably ask a local trailer place to just add one for you. They will probably charge but it's probably worth it Vs. going through the other hassle. (In FL you can say it is home made. The DMV inspects it and gives you a serial number).

The Trailer places just hammer the numbers on.

oledawg
11-10-2009, 07:05 AM
Oh, but were it so easy! Putting your own numbers on the trailer means you consider it "homemade", which can be done if you have folks that are willing to take the risk. A law enforcement officer has to certify this in NC, so imagine the look on his face when he sees the bright red trailer with the Donzi logos on each side. "homemade?" Donzi made the thing, or had it made, got to be serial numbers! I worked on getting my CC trailer done for more than six months, many trips to DMV, and your suggestion was indeed one of them.

Surely someone with a 22C has a factory trailer and knows where the serial number is!

VetteLT193
11-10-2009, 07:21 AM
did they offer a factory trailer back then? I know they don't offer factory trailers now.

The serial numbers should be by, near, or around where the trailer frame comes together and meets the tongue. if it has had a replacement tongue it might be covering them. Some trailers just never got serial numbers. The one sitting under my Minx when I bought it didn't have them.

As far as home made, that is what they call it but FL at least will do a home made registration as long as it's with a boat and everything looks ok even though they know it isn't actually home made. (and you have a bill of sale)

What I was saying about adding numbers is just take it to a trailer shop and have them put numbers on the trailer and give you a certificate. Many trailer shops are pretty loose

oledawg
11-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Yep, as far as I can tell it is indeed a "factory" trailer, and in saying that I am sure that they didn't make it, some other company did, but it was sold with the boat as a package and it matches it perfectly down to the Donzi logos on each side of the front frame. If I truly can't find a serial number then the trailer shop idea is one that I might use. I do have a BOS for the trailer because I knew this would be a problem, but the previous owner didn't have a clue about the serial number. There were at least two previous owners before him so that is where the paper trail got lost. Thanks for the support!

silverghost
11-10-2009, 10:13 AM
The original serial number could have only been printed on a decal sticker usually on the left front side of the trailer.
I have three old trailers like this~ On two the stickers are still there but faded and totally unreadble !
On the third it dried-up and is almost gone alltogether !
Most boat trailers do not usually have numbers stamped into the trailer member itself.
This can be a real problem in some states!
PA is one of them!

oledawg
11-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Sounds like maybe the situation with mine, there is certainly no sticker. And NC is one of those "it's a pain" states also, unlike some states where they don't even bother with titles/tags, etc. :odie:

Bamboo Loui
11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey Dawg--- you are an old motorcycle guy-- have you ever seen the same thing with them? I have-- I cannot remember the names but there are a few sites that offer out of state registrations and titles or origin of build sheets for a fee. In Michigan, you can use these to get new titles or registration. Possible?

I did get rid of a few bikes that did not have titles or reg and only a bill of sale because they were not worht the hassle, but I think your trailer would be.

Conquistador_del_mar
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Sounds like maybe the situation with mine, there is certainly no sticker. And NC is one of those "it's a pain" states also, unlike some states where they don't even bother with titles/tags, etc. :odie:

I sold my twin brother a boat and a Seadoo over the years. He lives in Charlotte, NC, and I remember what a hassle it was for him with registering the trailers. Good luck! Be sure to look under the front framework for a possible #location. Bill

oledawg
11-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Yep, I have seen the sites, but if I truly cannot find a serial number, likely I will try the "homemade" route. Just a hassle, seems like there should be a better way. Until then I guess that I will just keep hauling the boat around when I need to w/o a tag. When I bought it I had to pull it about 200 miles, no problem, and now just to the tech's occasionally which is only about 10 miles. It is insured, and I have all of the paperwork with me, and for sure the po-po have that heard the story before, but if ticketed, the story line is "I am working on it"! :odie:

Dr. David Fleming
11-10-2009, 12:56 PM
I have a couple of speedboats from the 1920's that acquired trailers sometime in the 1950's. A trip to "Joe's Trailers" - Joe knew the manufacturer by just looking at the trailer. Trouble is some of those manufacturers have long since gone the way of all things. Trailer guys that sell and repair trailers are a real source of information.

My recomendation - Talk to Joe!

oledawg
11-10-2009, 01:10 PM
K, "Joe's Trailers" contact info is...........................? Thanks!

Dr. David Fleming
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Well if you want my Joe he is in St. Clair Shores, MI at Harper Ave. and Ten Mile road. Call information and you should get it.

However my post was refering to "Joe" Joe and in "Bob" Bob or "George" George - Like the Blues Brothers said "Lets talk to Bob.!"

There are hundreds of these people who make their living working their entire lives on trailers - what you going to put over on them - they will look at that Donzi trailer which someone has obviously painted and lettered for Donzi because he is a Donzi fanatic - and they will identify it as an EAGLE or whatever.

Just a post on a thread! Happy hunting.

HOWARD O
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
When I brought my 22 up from Fl last year, I registered/titled the boat right away, but don't have anything for the trailer and have done nothing. I haven't even had the boat back on the trailer since. But I believe the trailer to be original to the boat though and it looks almost identical to an Eagle trailer I have beneath my other boat. Do you happen to have a photo of your trailer? Mine is an '82, they could possibly be the same. I'll see if I can find some numbers on mine in the morning, as it looks as though we might be in the same boat.....so to speak! May be of no help, but ya just never know! :cool: I'm in NC as well, by the way.

joseph m. hahnl
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Here in New Hampshire the DMV will issue a state sticker and number .
although they don't require a title for a trailer ,you still need the number for registration

silverghost
11-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Eagle Trailers are/were owned by Load-Rite as a custom/semi-custom trailer builder. Most are painted and have the Eagle name or Private boat label name such as Donzi in decal stickers on the side!
Donzi did in fact have Eagle build many of the OEM custom Donzi trailers.
If you can find another Donzi /Eagle trailer you might be able to figure out the number/letter system.
Supposedly each trailer builder has such a system.
You might be able to fudge the number yourself if you know the system.
I am not saying you should do this~ But it is an option!
Did you ever check with a trailer retailer or RV trailer dealer?
They might be able to help you.
In the end you might have to go to the State Police with your bill of sale & have the trailer inspected & a special new number issued!
They will be looking for stolen trailers via national database. If you cannot find the number~ they won't find it also!
Make sure lights, brakes, and reflectors are up to state laws.

penbroke
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Trailer numbers sometimes lurk on the right rear...

Frank

ANGUS
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Just a thought, but many in the trucking business register trailers from all over the country in Maine. I think you can google trailer tags or trailer registration in Maine, if you can make up a number, punch it into the trailer neck and get a Maine registration you could transfer it to NC at a later date. Haven't done this myself....I just fabricated a VIN and bluffed my way through the Maryland DMV.:confused:

Planetwarmer
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Just a thought, but many in the trucking business register trailers from all over the country in Maine. I think you can google trailer tags or trailer registration in Maine, if you can make up a number, punch it into the trailer neck and get a Maine registration you could transfer it to NC at a later date. Haven't done this myself....I just fabricated a VIN and bluffed my way through the Maryland DMV.:confused:

:clap::idea:

oledawg
11-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Planetwarmer: actually not a bad idea, thinking about just getting a trailer place to punch in the serial number of the boat on the trailer and then using it at DMV. They don't cross match with NC Wildlife, so should be relatively safe. I have a decent contact at DMV from previous problems with trailers, so armed with an affidavit and BOS from the previous owner I just might make a run at it this way. Will keep all posted if it works or not.

DamnDonzi22
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Good possibility it is a Myco....Pull It In Style