PDA

View Full Version : Bahamas

Cottell
11-07-2009, 05:47 AM
I recently bought a Hornet on Ebay. I was a little worried for a while but the boat has arrived here in Nassau and all seems well. The timing was way out, I adjusted it by ear and she runs well now.
This is a wonderful place to cruise 700 islands mostly unspoiled, friendly people and many interesting places to visit with accomodations. I will be happy to advise any members contemplating a trip here.
Does any one know where I should set my timing? It's a 454 with a cam.
All the best,
Eric

oledawg
11-07-2009, 06:02 AM
Interesting that the timing was off, if I recall this engine setup was professionally done and you would have thought that the timing would have been properly set for the build. I am not a tech, but if the engine now runs good bottom end and top end, how wrong can you be? :drive:

WifeHatesMyDonzi
11-07-2009, 06:07 AM
I recently bought a Hornet on Ebay. I was a little worried for a while but the boat has arrived here in Nassau and all seems well. The timing was way out, I adjusted it by ear and she runs well now.
This is a wonderful place to cruise 700 islands mostly unspoiled, friendly people and many interesting places to visit with accomodations. I will be happy to advise any members contemplating a trip here.
Does any one know where I should set my timing? It's a 454 with a cam.
All the best,
Eric
I don't have any idea on the timing, but damn Erric you just ruined my day. Cruising numerous unspoiled islands in a Donzi, and I am going to rake leaves and some other assorted yard work today.

BUIZILLA
11-07-2009, 06:47 AM
is this the blue or yellow boat?

10* at 800 rpm idle speed would be a good start..

have fun!

oledawg
11-07-2009, 07:19 AM
If my "old timers" hasn't kicked in this morning, I recall this being the blue one that was on eBay several times before the seller moved it. Was a really nice boat, I bid on it up to a point, was going for more than my discretionary spending budget at the time, but the buyer got a nice buy.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4436163/11892303

Dr. David Fleming
11-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Most gasoline engines with the carburator and distributor used 10 degrees "igniton timing." This is called the "static timing." The real issue is not the "static ignition timing "- which is what you set with a "timing light" shining on the intidator - engine at idle of aprox 700rpm. The real issue is "total timing" with the distributor timing advance mechanism fully out. Within the distributor is a cam mechanism and two centrifical weights that advance the "igniton timing" as the engine speeds up. This should be 32 degrees to 36 degrees depending on gasoline, compression, camshaft etc.

There used to be a machine you could put the distributor into called a "Sun" machine. This would show if the shaft was bent, and what rpm the centrifical mechanism activated and how far the ignition timing advanced out.

The performance tuners of this technology level would "time" the engine at 10 degrees, then run the engine and observe the performance. "Time" out to 12 degrees and observe the performance. Go to 14 degrees and observe the performance. A small change here could produce 20 to 40 horsepower as this is extremely critical adjustment. You could gain or loose quite a bit of boat speed and engine performance.

All this said - the "ignition timing" is the life of the engine - retard it and no performance and the engine carbons up and loads up with fuel. Too much "timing" and you can destroy the engine with detonation, broken pistons etc. There was always some latitude in stock "timing" because the manufacturer did not want the engine running on the ragged edge of destruction.

Its like a woman, you got to get the timing right!

Get a light, learn to time properly - your motor will thank you!

oledawg
11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Wow, now that was a blast from the past! Jogged my memory on seeing a red "Sun" piece of equipment in almost every serious garage. Used Sun tachs on many a vehicle also. :odie:

mrfixxall
11-07-2009, 01:59 PM
That distributor should be tossed in the garbage and the proper one should be installed..looks to me its from a car and not a marine distributor..if you decide to keep it make sure the centrifugal weights are not stuck or corroded in place

Cottell
11-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Thank you all for the good advice. I will put a light on it and start from there. I was told everything is new so to go easy for 50 hrs. Can't wait to see what it will do!
I just got back from testing a 20,000 hp ship engine on the emulsion system of my invention. We are running 15% water. The process is described at my website www.nonoxltd.com (http://www.nonoxltd.com) under white paper.
All the best,
Eric

Most gasoline engines with the carburator and distributor used 10 degrees "igniton timing." This is called the "static timing." The real issue is not the "static ignition timing "- which is what you set with a "timing light" shining on the intidator - engine at idle of aprox 700rpm. The real issue is "total timing" with the distributor timing advance mechanism fully out. Within the distributor is a cam mechanism and two centrifical weights that advance the "igniton timing" as the engine speeds up. This should be 32 degrees to 36 degrees depending on gasoline, compression, camshaft etc.

There used to be a machine you could put the distributor into called a "Sun" machine. This would show if the shaft was bent, and what rpm the centrifical mechanism activated and how far the ignition timing advanced out.

The performance tuners of this technology level would "time" the engine at 10 degrees, then run the engine and observe the performance. "Time" out to 12 degrees and observe the performance. Go to 14 degrees and observe the performance. A small change here could produce 20 to 40 horsepower as this is extremely critical adjustment. You could gain or loose quite a bit of boat speed and engine performance.

All this said - the "ignition timing" is the life of the engine - retard it and no performance and the engine carbons up and loads up with fuel. Too much "timing" and you can destroy the engine with detonation, broken pistons etc. There was always some latitude in stock "timing" because the manufacturer did not want the engine running on the ragged edge of destruction.

Its like a woman, you got to get the timing right!

Get a light, learn to time properly - your motor will thank you!

Ed Donnelly
11-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Sure go ahead and tease me with the word BOILER in the
Performance section.

Ex. Volcano, Unilux, Dravo, Maxon, North American, Y/S, Fulton
employee.......:smile::smile:..Ed

Dr. David Fleming
11-12-2009, 10:16 PM
IN the words of the infamous Beebus and Buthead - "Eh like boiler man! heh heh!"

Cottell
11-16-2009, 05:59 AM
Sure go ahead and tease me with the word BOILER in the
Performance section.

Ex. Volcano, Unilux, Dravo, Maxon, North American, Y/S, Fulton
employee.......:smile::smile:..Ed
Wow Ed, If you are interested in consulting work drop me a line cottell@nonoxltd.com