PDA

View Full Version : Hardin Marine Exhaust Tips

oledawg
11-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Putting in some new 4" Hardin Marine exhaust tips ( long version, 10" outside transom ) with the internal flappers. Trying the removable slip-in baffles to see how much they "tone down" the decibel level. I love running "open" but sometimes it is nice to pull the sound down just a notch. These are supposed to drop about 10 db's w/o affecting performance, I will let all know if they do. Very low cost solution if they work as stated. :drive:

VetteLT193
11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Putting in some new 4" Hardin Marine exhaust tips ( long version, 10" outside transom ) with the internal flappers. Trying the removable slip-in baffles to see how much they "tone down" the decibel level. I love running "open" but sometimes it is nice to pull the sound down just a notch. These are supposed to drop about 10 db's w/o affecting performance, I will let all know if they do. Very low cost solution if they work as stated. :drive:

I was really close to buying those for the Minx when I had it. It was so loud it got annoying at idle.

I have the Corsa tips on the new boat. They work a little too well.

thehow33
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM

Did you test them yet?

oledawg
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Heck no, just got them last week and the guys that work on my Donzi are small town, really laid back, good ole boys that are deep into their annual winterizing every boat on the lake that they can get their hands on thing! The exhaust tips are somewhere on a list with my new upholstery, carpet, cockpit cover, stereo, etc. that they are working on also. They have done the annual maintenance and winterizing on the Donzi though. Not sure that they have ever worked on a Donzi before, but they are authorized Mercruiser techs and one of them does vintage Chevys ( has a '69 Camaro that he shows ), so they are well enough equipped to handle a '88 Classic 22! Will let you know once they are on the boat, and it will likely be March before I get "Bad Nuff" back in the water and can let all know what I think of the sound. Great thing about it, if I don't like it, just take a bolt out and remove the baffles. Will still have some great looking 10" polished pipes with internal flappers. :drive:

thehow33
11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Heck no, just got them last week and the guys that work on my Donzi are small town, really laid back, good ole boys that are deep into their annual winterizing every boat on the lake that they can get their hands on thing! The exhaust tips are somewhere on a list with my new upholstery, carpet, cockpit cover, stereo, etc. that they are working on also. They have done the annual maintenance and winterizing on the Donzi though. Not sure that they have ever worked on a Donzi before, but they are authorized Mercruiser techs and one of them does vintage Chevys ( has a '69 Camaro that he shows ), so they are well enough equipped to handle a '88 Classic 22! Will let you know once they are on the boat, and it will likely be March before I get "Bad Nuff" back in the water and can let all know what I think of the sound. Great thing about it, if I don't like it, just take a bolt out and remove the baffles. Will still have some great looking 10" polished pipes with internal flappers. :drive:

Oh thought you were doing it soon....darn I'm putting my 88 classic together and it will have a 454 with aftermarket headers and straight tips, which I know will get old after a while at least for my wife it will. So I i'm trying to decide if I should add silent choice, muffled tips or the ones you will have.

MOP
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
oledawg it is a pretty simple straight forward job, even the holes from the old tips match 99% of the time. Even if you are not to handy you should be able to do it in an afternoon, if you are handy 1-1/2 hour should do it.

Phil

oledawg
11-09-2009, 05:40 AM
I agree on the relative ease of installation, but the boat is about an hour away from me, I was already having these guys do a lot of other work, during the season all I buy from them is gas and butter pecan ice cream ( margin on the former isn't great, but on the latter is criminal! ), so in the spirit of "who ya gonna call" if I need a tow on my lake, I am letting them do it. Good to have someone that knows you and will help when you really need it. Bolt patterns are indeed identical and on a 22C you can actually get to the exhaust hose clamps, so barring something unforeseen, which in my 60+ years I have found that almost nothing assumed to be "easy" really is, a couple of hours max is about right.

I appreciate the encouragement to "do it myself" though! :smash:

oledawg
11-09-2009, 05:45 AM
By the way, noise is really not an issue for those in the boat when cruising or even at WOT, it is the "all hell breaking loose" when I fire it up at the dock and try to sneak out of my cove without waking the dead. Sounds like a nitro fuel dragster! Not sure what type cam it has, but has a real lope to it. I like it ALOT, but am trying to be a better citizen.:odie:

oledawg
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Just a couple of pictures of the 10" Hardins with the slip-in's installed. Waiting for warm weather to see how it all works. One hour of labor to remove old factory tips and install these.

harbormaster
02-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I have brand new corsa muffler tips for 600 a pair.
call me at the office if anyone wants some. I have a few pairs left.

Scot VanAlstine 713-910-2000

joseph m. hahnl
02-12-2010, 07:13 PM
No complaints any where I go:kingme:

mrfixxall
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Me either,I'm grandfathered in to the antique rules:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I78vehnSmF8