PDA

View Full Version : Rocker Arm Surface Rust

Sluggo
11-04-2009, 05:44 AM
Pulled the valve covers and heads last night. The Rocker Arms and pushrod (about an inch from tip) have surface rust. Any ideas what would cause this?

Tidbart
11-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Moisture. LOL Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It is a boat, so minor surface rust may be normal. I had minor surface rust, the type you can wipe away with a rag when I pulled my motor apart. If you want a better opinion, post some photos so others can see what you are seeing. Also, give more details as to motor and age and where you run, fresh, salt, hot, cold, etc.

Bob

VetteLT193
11-04-2009, 07:05 AM
I'll second what Tidbart said. Plus with boats they tend to not get run every day. The more they get run the less likely you'll have a problem. An old engine guy once told me it takes just over 1 week for the oil to completely drain back into the pan and off the parts. So, run it every week and you won't have any issues.

MOP
11-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Corrosion under the valve covers is common in raw cooled engines, most run thermostats that barely make enough temp to burn off the moisture build up. You will need to see how the rockers clean up, I suspect they will survive a bigger worry will be valve springs. Any rust on the springs will result in them breaking, when they break the valve may float and hit the piston. Every engine is a mystery until it is torn apart!

CHACHI
11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Sluggo, are you running a straight weight motor oil?

Ken

MOP
11-04-2009, 05:28 PM
Ken he is in the middle of a mystery, it is obvious the mechanical's were apart to what degree who knows! He bought the boat from a guy in Penn and since only ran it a few times. Said the guy was not knowledgeable at all, I am going to help him with tear down of the engine. Once opened up we will know a lot more! The rockers are the cast Ford ones with a fair amount of visible rust, once pulled we can decide on their fate they may be fine just ugly at this point. Paul is planning on a full resto, deck pull tank and all. Judging the look of other work around his pondi it will be a real nice boat when done.

silverghost
11-04-2009, 06:11 PM
I suspect that the little rust you see in the rocker area is from condensation from long term storage outside on cold nights !
I doubt it is a real issue.

This appears to me to not be the original Holman~Moody engine.
Many, if not most were replaced decades ago!
How did the engine run?

I live just outside Phila. and this Donzi looks like one that was in the area for many years !
I had not seen it in the water for years!
I checked your photos on earlier posts!

Sluggo:
How is Mr. Bill doing ?
Sorry~ I just had to ask!

BigGrizzly
11-04-2009, 07:00 PM
As above not an issue.