PDA

View Full Version : 1969 16 Not Mine

Scott Pearson
11-01-2009, 08:21 AM
Very nice boat but he will be waiting a lifetime to get that price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Donzi-Ski-Sporter-TIME-CAPSULE-Holman-Moody-289_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem35a48eefdeQQitemZ23 0394097630QQptZPowerQ5fMotorboats

mdonzi
11-01-2009, 08:30 AM
wow that is a sweet 16 love green

Donzi Vol
11-01-2009, 08:52 AM
Gorgeous.

jl1962
11-01-2009, 09:03 AM
That's a beauty!

Interesting that it still has the metal Donzi script but no HVAC vent in cockpit.

Tank might be an issue.......but, WOW!

Expensive, but originality commands a huge premium. As they say - Go Find Another.

BTW - I like being able to discuss boats, that's why we are here! And if I were a prospective buyer - I would appreciate intelligent commentary.

Donzi Vol
11-01-2009, 09:34 AM
BTW - I like being able to discuss boats, that's why we are here! And if I were a prospective buyer - I would appreciate intelligent commentary.

Let's just keep it civil, for love of God (on knees pleading!)

jl1962
11-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Let's just keep it civil, for love of God (on knees pleading!)

Amen!
:angel:

Rob M
11-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Beautiful. The relatively original condition of this boat makes it very tempting....

Just Say N20
11-01-2009, 07:56 PM
As an original, it is interesting to see what it was like. My boat is a 1967, C16-409, and this is hull C16-509, exactly 100 boats later. I hope he gets the asking price. Sweet boat.

It doesn't have the vent in the middle of the back seat (mine does).

It does have 4 clam shell vents (mine has 2).

It has gussets (mine doesn't).

It has a battery box in the rear part of the L-Lounge seat base (mine doesn't).

It has the gas gauge sight hole, in the floor, but it looks like a cover, rather than glass, and the boat has a fuel gauge (mine has clear glass in the floor sight gauge).

It doesn't have the "vent" on the outside transom deck (Jay mentioned), and mine did have it.

The exhaust is pretty low on the transom.

It has hatch latches in each corner (mine has a single old school "lift ring" in the center).

Here are some pictures.

Petee390
11-02-2009, 04:38 PM
I was at the auction where the current owner purchased it. The closing bid I believe was $15,500 add 10% sellers commission and 8% sales tax for a total of $17,050. The boat is great! I did see a couple of issues. Some of the stringers in the engine compartment have come delaminated from the hull at the chines. The engine was not able to run due to the fact the starter and the alt were removed. Also the fuel tank is original, no signs of leaking but original.

HOWARD O
11-02-2009, 06:27 PM
It IS interesting to see changes. This is a beautiful boat!

My old 1969 16' (now my brother's) is hull #562 and does NOT have the Donzi script on the hull, has the newer gauge panel (trapezoidal shape I guess you'd call it) and the exhaust is also much lower than mine was, although mine was a 302-235 hp. Different manifolds than a 289, is that why?

Anyway, what a time capsule, looks so well cared for! :yes:

CHACHI
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't know if it is the lighting or the camera angle, but the chrome on the vents looks perfect.

Howard, you need this boat.

Ken

HOWARD O
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Howard, you need this boat.

Ken

It would even match my truck! :yes:

Just Say N20
11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
One thing I had never heard of was removing the alternator and starter for winter storage.

If the boat is dry, and stored properly, I don't see this as necessary. Also, removing/replacing each of those, in the engine compartment of a 16 has to be a miserable job.

Bobby D
11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Jay, roger that on discussing boats and intelligent commentary and agree that is a beautiful boat.
My old 1970 ski sporter (has a proud new owner) is hull #600 and looks very similar but did not come with the Donzi script. Sounds like it’s exactly as Howard described his 69 with the exception of the 351 HM.

Just Say N20
11-03-2009, 06:28 AM
I was thinking the ad originally was asking $19,xxx. Or maybe it was starting there.

But with 4 days 15 hours left, it is already at $20,100!

Reserve Not Met

I wonder what the reserve is? I'm thinking this is pretty good money for this boat in this economy.

Scott Pearson
11-03-2009, 07:14 AM
This is alot of money for a boat with 300 hours, possible stringer work, a fuel tank...no doubt...trust me and a trailer. The trailer that is under it is for a V-Drive boat.

Thats just the things that are obvious.

I know of the original 16 proto type boat...Its perfect in everyway and has a ton of history. I know it could be purchased for what the reserve price of this one is I'm sure. And is worth every penny. Its just not any 16.

BUIZILLA
11-03-2009, 07:24 AM
if my homework is correct, one person with 2 bidder ID's is humping this auction... :smash:

BlownCrewCab
11-03-2009, 02:06 PM
IDK, you can see where the one guy kept bidding until he was the High bidder (over a 2 min period) seems he was just checking to see where the price was, and thats the only way to do it. By driving it higher.

HOWARD O
11-03-2009, 03:32 PM
This is alot of money for a boat with 300 hours, possible stringer work, a fuel tank...no doubt...trust me and a trailer. The trailer that is under it is for a V-Drive boat.
Thats just the things that are obvious.
I know of the original 16 proto type boat...Its perfect in everyway and has a ton of history. I know it could be purchased for what the reserve price of this one is I'm sure. And is worth every penny. Its just not any 16.

What about the fuel tank? You've inspected this boat's fuel tank?

Scott Pearson
11-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Howard,
A 1969 boat WILL need a fuel tank and lines. These tanks are steel and lines are rubber to the motor. I dont care how well they have kept the boat and what they did to the fuel tank. They rust and the fuel lines break down from the inside out.

My 1970 Donzi with only 30 hours TOTAL needed them both.

I dont need to inspect this boat to know it will need them replaced. I have done way to many restorations to think otherwise.

Sweet Cheekz
11-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Amen Scott
Its a 40 year old boat! Not replacing it will be an invitation for big problems in short order.
Parnell

Sweet Cheekz
11-03-2009, 04:57 PM
if my homework is correct, one person with 2 bidder ID's is humping this auction... :smash:

Shocking:puke:

Donzi Vol
11-03-2009, 05:04 PM

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this board, I've decided to look at the bright side of life and post positive things, but if I were going to post something in regards to this, it would probably be something to the effect of:

"Jim, let it go. He's off the board...along with several others over all this crap. As far as I know, he's not bidding on it, and I'm 100% positive he's not selling it. So as the Beatles once said, LET IT BE!"

Yeah, that's what it would look like :wink:

BUIZILLA
11-03-2009, 09:10 PM
"Jim, let it go. He's off the board...along with several others over all this crap. As far as I know, he's not bidding on it, and I'm 100% positive he's not selling it. So as the Beatles once said, LET IT BE!" Dvol, i'll make the decision when to let go, not you... the donzi racer name was re-registered here, no beginning caps, last Friday night, check the membership list.. >previous content removed until HM returns<

Marlin275
11-03-2009, 09:55 PM
HM has made sincere behind the scenes overture plans to me, so we'll see... if he reneges, i'm gone...

Reading between the lines . . .
this means?

Donzi Vol
11-03-2009, 10:52 PM
Dvol, i'll make the decision when to let go, not you...

Buiz, my comment was nothing personal. I respect you...always have, and have no desire to get into all this. I just don't want to see the proverbial s*&t hit the fan again. That's all.

I'm back to my original posting plan now...

HOWARD O
11-04-2009, 06:19 PM
Howard,
A 1969 boat WILL need a fuel tank and lines. These tanks are steel and lines are rubber to the motor. I dont care how well they have kept the boat and what they did to the fuel tank. They rust and the fuel lines break down from the inside out.
My 1970 Donzi with only 30 hours TOTAL needed them both.
I dont need to inspect this boat to know it will need them replaced. I have done way to many restorations to think otherwise.

Even with the tank's reputation for rusting, I don't make blanket statements like that without an inspection, but that's just me. I only say that because we completely disassembled my former 16, now my brother's, just to take care of the fuel tank. We discovered the tank to be in beautiful condition. That was the catalyst of a complete restoration, but his tank is still in beautiful shape. I guess it's an exception for some odd reason. Maybe the dry conditions of a mountain lake in California could've contributed to it's longevity? That boat was also a 1969, by the way. On the boats you have restored, where did they spend their time?

mattyboy
11-06-2009, 09:29 AM
Even with the tank's reputation for rusting, I don't make blanket statements like that without an inspection, but that's just me. I only say that because we completely disassembled my former 16, now my brother's, just to take care of the fuel tank. We discovered the tank to be in beautiful condition. That was the catalyst of a complete restoration, but his tank is still in beautiful shape. I guess it's an exception for some odd reason. Maybe the dry conditions of a mountain lake in California could've contributed to it's longevity? That boat was also a 1969, by the way. On the boats you have restored, where did they spend their time?

Blanket statements can be made about foamed in steel tanks, they are a problem. So much of a problem that 38 years ago they were banned from being used.
late 1960's hulls 410 and 420 that were produced side by side at the factory had tank failures within a year of each other both boats lead a rather pampered lives one still does. not to mention all the other tank projects that go on around here.

the is a life expectancy on a foamed in tank it is way shorter than 40 years.
if you have an alum tank you might be a little better off but they don't last forever either. take a look at george carter's tank and that's a late 1980's alum tank.

to me I have seen to many posts saying well the tank doesn't leak, or down playing the tank issue in older boats or skirting the issue. this is the biggest problem in older classics.

now let's really compound the problem. I can for a fact say without seeing this beautiful piece of history. if the lines and hoses and motor are all original as the ad states then!!!

even if this boat was time warped right off the show room floor or beamed here from 1969 in dr evils time machine. that the first fill up in ny in 2010 and the fuel system is starting to fail. e 10 has been around in NY for years.

it eats old rubber and gaskets that are not e-10 resistant, not to mention it's affinity for water, water now there's an old steel tank's friend

this is a 40 year NY state resident

the point brought up was the boat is a great piece of history but that's alot of money for buying a boat that will need fuel system work, unless someone has the nerve to cut the floor and put a band aid tank in her. she'll need fuels lines at the least not an easy job doing right unless the deck is split

HOWARD O
11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
All I am saying is that there are exceptions, albeit very few obviously. You either need to read my post more carefully or your just calling me a liar. If it's the latter, that's okay, I'm not going to bother arguing with you....it's just not worth it around here anymore. Better to just let the "legends" talk, lol. :cool:

Ghost
11-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Interesting discussion about the tank and fuel lines, etc. I wonder this. Assuming the tank and lines are serviceable right now, where would different people estimate the probability of:

catastrophic failure (explosion/fire) within 1 year
failure (detectable leak, forcing repair) within 1 year
catastrophic failure within 2 years
failure within 2 years
catastrophic failure within 3 years
failure within 3 years
etc..
The implication being, how long could anyone reasonably use the boat before tearing into it to replace the tank and lines?

I don't claim to know the probabilities, but am curious what people think about THESE SPECIFIC PROBABILITIES in arriving at their conclusions about what makes sense with this boat.

Mike

mattyboy
11-06-2009, 02:34 PM
All I am saying is that there are exceptions, albeit very few obviously. You either need to read my post more carefully or your just calling me a liar. If it's the latter, that's okay, I'm not going to bother arguing with you....it's just not worth it around here anymore. Better to just let the "legends" talk, lol. :cool:

the"legends" I like that you mind if i use that??

Howard don't put words in my mouth I didn't call you a liar. we are talking about a specific boat that is not in the dry desert heat this is a life long new york state climate boat. yes your 16 might be the exception to the rule.
with the fact that ny state has been e 10 for a long time so in part to your question location has alot to do with it.

UL did a study on foamed in alum tanks for the USGC they came up with a 10 year life expectancy

with the new fuels of today tanks are under attack from both inside and outside

one thing we agree on though is this place is just getting not worth it

but remember people come and go but LEGENDS NEVER DIE

Scott Pearson
11-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I thought it was Hero's come and go...but legands never die.....:hyper:

Scott Pearson
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Howard,
Did you totally remove the tank from its origanal foam from your brothers boat and inspect it and re install it?

Sluggo
11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Since I am in the early stages of restoring a 69' Sweet 16 I was pretty psyched to come across this boat with all the pictures that were posted, so I had a better idea of what things should look like.

HOWARD O
11-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Howard,
Did you totally remove the tank from its origanal foam from your brothers boat and inspect it and re install it?

Yes, absolutely, inspected inside and out. I remember removing the tank myself and the foam was in awful shape....all broken down and damp. The boat was fairly new to us and while checking the fuel filter, we discovered a whole bunch of rusty muck in the bottom of the fuel filter. Tank itself was in good shape and remains in good shape 10 years later.

Listen, I know that the tanks in these boats are probably the number one thing to look at if you are buying and/or restoring one.....that was a big plus when I bought my 22 because I knew that Cuda had it replaced just prior to my purchase. EVERY SINGLE ONE should be inspected somehow, but there ARE exceptions to the rule and that is the only argument I was wishing to make. Well, except that legend thing..... :wink:

Rootsy
11-09-2009, 11:34 AM
There is only one good thing a tern tank is good for... and that is target practice...